Foxconn readies fanless Atom/Brazos Nano PCs for September

By on July 10, 2012, 8:30 AM

First unveiled in May, Foxconn has announced that its fanless nettops will finally ship in September after a brief delay possibly related to the cancellation of Intel's Atom D2700 processor, which was originally expected to appear in one of the models. The Nano PC will be available in two variants: the AT-5250 with a dual-core 1.86GHz Intel Atom D2550 and the AT-5600 with a dual-core 1.65GHz AMD E-450.

Both chips have integrated graphics, with the AMD's Radeon HD 6320 undoubtedly having an edge over Intel's solution, albeit at the expense of a higher TDP (10W for the D2550 versus 18W for the E-450). The extra graphics performance might not matter much if you only plan to use the system for basic tasks, in which case, the lower-TDP model might be a better choice given the reliance on passive cooling.

The machines are housed in what appears to be a brushed aluminum enclosure that measures 7.48 x 5.31 x 1.49 inches (190 x 135 x 38mm). The systems also share other specifications, including two USB 3.0 ports, four USB 2.0 ports, a 5-in-1 card reader, gigabit Ethernet, 802.11n Wi-Fi, HDMI and DVI outputs, headphone and microphone jacks, as well as VESA compatibility for rear display mounting.

You'll have to supply your own storage and memory. Foxconn says 2.5-inch and 1.8-inch drives are supported, though it's unclear how many (plural wording is used but the text is translated from Russian so errors are likely). You can also add up to 4GB of DDR3 RAM via one SO-DIMM slot. Pricing is higher than reported in May, with the Intel system set at $260 and the AMD unit costing a tad more at $280.

mevans336 mevans336 said:

That AMD unit looks like a great candidate for an HTPC.

Given the (un)availability of the raspberry pi, I'm thinking in going towards a mini itx form factor pc, I know that they're different animals, but the prices is a little too high, for the early adapters, which I'm not =/

Zoltan Head said:

Raspberry Pi has been around for some time??!

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm playing with my R-Pi now, and while it is very cool, there are still some serious caveats if you are intending to use it as a media-centric system. For our household, lack of Netflix streaming capabilities is killing adoption. I'm finding other fun tasks for the Pi, while I wait for access to one of the new VIA APC boards, which may show a little more promise for what I want - the features stack up: it conforms to the micro-ATX form factor, can drop into a standard micro case, comes with Android onboard out of the box, and is only $49. Hoping it lives up to my expectations!

Raspberry Pi has been around for some time??!

Yes, it's been around, but it's still hard to get. They are catching up to demand finally, but it took months and months to get mine, and I was an early orderer. I think there is still quite a lead time on them if you order now (6-10 weeks, last time I looked in June).

I hope so!!!

do you think it will have overheating issues if playing 1080p?

cheers!

Zoltan Head said:

No overheating issues yet (1080p or otherwise!), still crossing the fingers though...

It's a good thing they painted it black. Otherwise apple would be suing them for copying their plain box design.

BTW, I just finished reading this before coming here. [link]

HuntForTheWOrst said:

Holy Shet can't wait for this to come out :D I actually want it so baddly but like Zoltan said Crossing fingers.