Microsoft Windows 8 retail packaging revealed

By Lee Kaelin on August 7, 2012, 12:00 PM

It has been an eventful couple of weeks for Microsoft. The Redmond-based firm announced its upcoming operating system had reached RTM, and the code was subsequently leaked to torrent sites in record time. Speculation also started to circulate about Microsoft's decision to abandon the Metro branding for the tiled interface central to Windows 8, with reports pointing to a potential trademark dispute.

Now, in a less dramatic development, The Verge has revealed what appears to be the final packaging designs for the boxed versions of Windows 8 that will be available in retail stores when the OS launches later this year.

As previously announced, there will be just two full retail versions: Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. The overall look of the boxes is simple, featuring the “Windows 8 style UI” logo prominently on the front, wrapped in slim style cases, and using a different color (white or black) to differentiate them.

Microsoft's latest operating system reached its release to manufacturing (RTM) milestone last week, marking the last stage of development before worldwide release. Just a day later the final release of the European “N” version, which comes without Windows Media Player, was found on several torrent sites.

Windows 8 is slated to arrive in stores and on new computers and tablets, including the Surface Tablet PC on October 26, with their next-generation Windows Phone OS arriving on smartphones around the same time.

looks like a childrens book....or a not so attractive book...who knows?

Gareis Gareis said:

Interesting design.. I'm going to miss the classic look myself.

abysal abysal said:

Wow, looks like something from 1995, what are they thinking?

The price for the "System Builder" Edition? The price for the "Full" edition, if such edition comes into existence?

treeski treeski said:

I think it's oooookay... except for whatever you're supposed to be seeing behind the window.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

At first I hated how Windows 8 looked and felt but after using it as my primary OS for about a month know I am starting to enjoy using it. They have made some very welcome changes to the OS. And for only $40 I might get the full version on Oct 26 mainly because that is cheap as hell, and I might keep it as my main OS and just have Win 7 on a backup drive just in case.

I've seen designs like that before back when Saved by the Bell was first on television. It didn't look good then it doesn't look good now.

psycros psycros said:

People will think its a Corel or Adobe product. I swear, there's a Google mole in upper management that's steering the entire Windows 7 effort.

killeriii said:

I liked the wavy flag windows logo!

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I liked the wavy flag windows logo!

Yeah, it's a shame they dropped the flag for a Crayola box.

backo said:

I really like this industrial look. Pretty current, nice.

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

When first laying my eye's on this new Windows 8 box. especially with the white colored one, I thought to myself, now where have I seen a Windows box with a splash of almost the same colors and the use of squares? Then I went across my little office space, opened up the closet, looked at a shelf of almost every Windows Operating Systems I have, took out a box that I first thought looked like it, sure enough I was close.....

Granted a little different on design, but almost the same ques as far as the use of squares and color!

Jay Pfoutz Jay Pfoutz, Malware Helper, said:

Eh... I think its design is lacking!

Chris Just Chris Just said:

I know some will keep that box and to them it might matter. To me it is trash, literally will go in the trash like all the other boxes of things I have bought. Did I care what the box to my Logitech G19 or my Rat MMO 7 mouse or any other thing I have gotten looked liked when I ordered it online? NO! Packing like that matters more since I have to keep it for a time in case I have to return it for some reason. Since software can't be returned once opened that box will be gone the min I open it.

Looks fine to me. I don't know what all the moaning is about. It's a box!

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

I will wait till ........ W I N D O W S 9

1 person liked this | lchu12 lchu12 said:

I fear Windows 8 is another Vista in disguise, and will only lead to the next Windows within one year...