Murderbox MK II chassis now available for reservation, yours for $1200

By on September 18, 2012, 2:00 PM

Every now and again, a manufacturer unveils a truly special and unique chassis that stands out among the crowd in some way or another. I’ve been doing hardware and peripheral reviews for over a decade and have seen my fair share of cases that fit into this category. Lian Li introduced us to the high-quality aluminum computer case, NZXT showed everyone that case designs could be creative on a budget and Thermaltake’s Level 10 was unlike anything we’d seen before.

Now a new company called Harwood Studios is hoping their chassis, dubbed the Murderbox MK II, is worthy enough to make the list. The goal here was to create an ultra-refined, precision crafted case that boldly stands in a class by itself, according to president and co-founder Charles Harwood (of Million Dollar PC). The chassis took two full years to design and now they are ready to show it off to the world.

This limited-edition $1,200 chassis, based on the SilverStone TJ07 unibody design, is constructed completely of raw aluminum which has been media-blasted and anodized black for a sleek look. Liquid cooling played a key role in the design of the Murderbox. The 7-bay opening at the front of the case was removed and replaced with a single 5.25-inch bay and internally retracting door.  I could go on and on but literally every component was carefully designed and tested.

Each Murderbox is hand-made to ensure every component fits together perfectly. We’re hearing that only 499 units are being built so if this is something you’re interested in, I’d recommended heading over and claiming a reservation ASAP.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Do I understand this correctly? That's $1200 for the case ONLY? No guts?

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Im trying to find out what makes it so unique and cool. It looks like a fairly ordinary gaming case to me.

ikesmasher said:

Oh they are handmade. Still, if you pay 1200 for this, just wow...

1 person liked this | Denxnis Denxnis said:

Do I understand this correctly? That's $1200 for the case ONLY? No guts?

But it's limited edition!

This thing probably cost 200 in materials, max, and they want to sell it for 1200? What a joke.

Denxnis Denxnis said:

Oh they are handmade. Still, if you pay 1200 for this, just wow...

Do I understand this correctly? That's $1200 for the case ONLY? No guts?

Do I understand this correctly? That's $1200 for the case ONLY? No guts?

But it's limited edition!

Ok nvm, after seeing the internals I would say 600 in materials. More pictures next time techspot!

1 person liked this | slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's just a modded SIlverstone TJ07?

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

It's quite a case. While I agree that 1200 is steep, check out the pictures and craftsmanship, it's really quite a great case.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

It's a very nice case, but $1200?

I've never seen a case that should be more then $200 IMO, although the Hypercube on Frozencpu.com is something I have always wanted for some reason.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

That's a really nice case, not $1200 nice but still a nice case.

1 person liked this | Leeky Leeky said:

I'll take two!

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I have a tj07 and a mountainmods ascension case. If I didnt have either I'd like to get this thing. Its definately cool.

1 person liked this | Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Does it come with a lifetime guarantee?

Seriously... anyone heard of Snap-On tools? EXPENSIVE OVER PRICED BULL***, RIGHT?

Well, not to some people... specifically mechanics... they offer a lifetime guarantee. You break a tool, and they replace it, no questions asked.

If you are paying $1200, you better ****ing expect a life-time guarantee, or take your rich*** someone else and spend your money for a good cause.

PinothyJ said:

Why would I choose this over a Silverstone FT02?

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

With the exception of fans, all aluminum chassis' last forever so if you are a millionaire enthusiast I could see paying this much. I paid 1/3 that for my last three cases.

ikesmasher said:

For the case im thinknig of getting id be paying 1/24th... sheesh...

1 person liked this | Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Even if they do last forever, are you not going to update the components inside this extremely expensive case? Surely you'd want to keep this with your most up to date MB, RAM, HDD/SSD, DVD-RW, custom water cooling... and so forth.

I noticed they also had a special circuit board for your hard drives.... seems more susceptible for damage, and could cause the whole board to stop functioning... where would you get parts to replace it? Surely THEY are the only one who makes it, considering what it is.... You call them up and ask for a replacement, "Sure." they say, "...for $500." Okay, well you might as well go get some SATA cables and bypass the board... but then that'd just be a darn shame.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

For my money, I think I'd order a CaseLabs or Little Devil case instead, just saying.

2 people like this | Guest said:

Skrillex called, he wants his logo back

With the $1200 I was hoping this case is made of hard-kevlar over titanium alloy panel (like APC armor) or carbon ceramics over spacecraft-grade aluminum alloy panel not just aluminum with anodized black, the chassis made from premium grade CFRP (used in Formula one and supercars). And the side panels made of premium polycarbonate (used in fighter jet) not made by acrylic..

But still, this case is AWESOME

1 person liked this | Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yep, I'll also have one!...although when I sober up I may change my mind on the subject.

Seriously, hand made or not, that is a stupid price for a case.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

People reaction

First impression: "ooooohhh.. aaaaaahhhh.." (fascinating)

After looking the price: "what the f...!??"

:p

grvalderrama said:

U$S 1200? That's about $6000 ARS... Not even taking into account shipping and taxes. Probably comes with half a dozen whores...

2 people like this | BasiX12 said:

Why murder box when the only thing that case kills is the wallet?

McNasty said:

I like by Corsair 800D better.

McNasty said:

That's the only way I would consider purchasing it. You could put them to work and have your $1200 back in a week.