Apple remembers Steve Jobs's life on anniversary of his passing

By on October 5, 2012, 10:36 AM

Today marks the one-year anniversary of Steve Jobs’ passing and to commemorate the occasion Apple has updated its website with a video tribute to its late co-founder and CEO. "Remembering Steve" presents a slideshow highlighting some iconic moments and famous quotes from Jobs’ time at Apple, including the launch of the iMac and iPod, which would set the stage for perhaps the greatest turnaround in corporate history.

Along with the two-minute video there’s a letter from Tim Cook, who replaced Jobs as CEO after he stepped down in August 2011, describing Jobs’ death as a sad and difficult time as well as reflecting on how he touched people’s lives: “One of the greatest gifts Steve gave to the world is Apple. No company has ever inspired such creativity or set such high standards for itself. Our values originated from Steve and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple. We share the great privilege and responsibility of carrying his legacy into the future.”

Jobs died at age 56 on October 5, 2011, a day earlier the iPhone 4S was announced, following a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Although some things have changed with Cook at the helm -- Apple paid dividends for the first time in 17 years and has been more open about the labor conditions at its supplier plants in China, to name a couple -- plenty remains the same. And that’s a good thing. Apple is still the most valuable public company in the world, it operates as efficiently as ever, and people are still buying their products in droves.

This week we’ve seen a number of stories commemorating Jobs’ life as the one-year anniversary of his death came closer, including Forbes’ recollection of untold stories from friends and colleagues, and a piece by Wired comparing Jobs with history’s greatest engineers and industrialists Nikola Tesla and Henry Ford.

Whether you are an Apple fan or not, it’s hard to deny Jobs is one of the most iconic leaders in the history of our industry. As the company’s famous ad proclaims regarding the ‘crazy’ ones, “You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things.”

1 person liked this | 3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

Oh wow a year already.. how time flies..

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

No kidding... It feels like 3-4 months to me.

1 person liked this | k9182000 said:

I'm not a Apple fan but no one should die the way Steve did. Why doesn't all of the governments around the world stop spending money on machines of war and work on ways to make us all live a long and happy life. Some people say it's human nature to kill but isn't it also human nature to have compassion and a well to help your fellow man or woman. The problem is government = power. Power = responsibility. Responsibility = making the right decision for your people. These decisions can become corrupt and then everyone suffers. It's takes people like Steve to show us how far we have come and how behind your governments.

For what the US spends on military each year, every poverty stricken child in the WORLD, would be able to have free education and free school meals for 62 years.

BlueDrake said:

+500

I'm not going to battle you anything here. Just even if said governments that have a "stable" country do that, what would happen with those that are dedicated to making others miserable? They prolong the war for their own reasons obviously, and I along with countless others don't want it to continue. There's no swaying views of a government, when there's a lot at risk. I'm not in the US at all so I'm just an outsider looking in, observing what goes on from what we all see and hear.

If the US and all other countries back down, what would stop those from doing all sorts of scare tactics, etc? I'm not battling your argument at all, I'm just pointing out there's a lot we can't anticipate. My general sympathy and such goes to those in the wars, losing their lives because of these kinds of problems. So we can all live a more comfortable life, at the sacrifice of their own.

Gars Gars said:

I'm not a Apple fan but no one should die the way Steve did. Why doesn't all of the governments around the world stop spending money on machines of war and work on ways to make us all live a long and ..........., would be able to have free education and free school meals for 62 years.

Imagine if that Steve wasn't works for computer/consumer electronics company

but for NASA?

or even the military?

the last one get me scary...

2 people like this | ramonsterns said:

Imagine if that Steve wasn't works for computer/consumer electronics company

but for NASA?

or even the military?

the last one get me scary...

Imagine if you didn't think he was some sort of saint and came down to earth and realized he didn't do anything special.

I'm so tired of people putting him on a pedestal.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Only thing IMO that was special about Steve Jobs is that he was a damn good salesman. I don't feel there really is anything all that special about Apple products but he made people believe there was, and get them to come back and buy more, at rather high prices IMO. I give him props for that.

And holy crap, can't believe a year has flown by already. Time seems to be slipping away from me.

Camikazi said:

Imagine if that Steve wasn't works for computer/consumer electronics company

but for NASA?

or even the military?

the last one get me scary...

He was a salesman, others designed what the devices looked like and he approved them, others designed what would be in the devices and he approved. He "OKed" that end device but he didn't actually make the items, I don't think he would have helped NASA or the military much at all since they do not really care about aesthetics over actual usefulness.

3 people like this | ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Imagine if that Steve wasn't works for computer/consumer electronics company

but for NASA?

or even the military?

the last one get me scary...

I'm so tired of people putting him on a pedestal.

So, according to your ideology:

1. Bill Gates is just a nerd that no one should praise.

2. Stephen Hawking is just a man in a wheelchair.

3. Mark Zukerberg just launched a simple website...big deal.

Get over your hate for Apple. I dislike their company, but Steve Jobs was brilliant just like those three men.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Man... It doesn't feel like a year has gone by already...

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Steve was very good at Unreal Tournament, could really wield the mini-gun well.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I have to agree people idolize him way to much it's really pathetic and shows us whats wrong with the world today. Idolize someone who did..idk...something original? Maybe cured something?

"Imagine if that Steve wasn't works for computer/consumer electronics company"

"but for NASA?" ----> we will see a simple, slimmer and elegant spaceship or satellite with white glossy surface orbiting the earth

"or even the military?" ----> we will see the rectangular tanks with rounded edges comes in dazzling glossy white or gray

"the last one get me scary" ----> you mean military? it's not that scary.

But what make me scary is: what if Steve is expert in nuclear weapon? then we won't see big mushroom exposion, instead we will see a giant explosion with shape of giant apple bitten at the right side (nuclear explosion with apple logo shape)

2 people like this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Not much harm in idolizing a person that passes away. Talk trash and hate them while they're alive, and say good things about them when they are no longer around :T

Yea reminds me of Michael Jackson. When he was alive, he was just another rich pedophile. When he's dead, he's the king of pop.

foreverzero89 said:

A day of celebration this is! I remember the wonderful day a year ago when the world was rid of him, to bad the company didn't die with him though.

ramonsterns said:

So, according to your ideology:

1. Bill Gates is just a nerd that no one should praise.

2. Stephen Hawking is just a man in a wheelchair.

3. Mark Zukerberg just launched a simple website...big deal.

Except I'm not putting any of those on any pedestals, now when they're alive or when they die.

Get over yourself.

Camikazi said:

Nah MJ was always The King of Pop who was also a rich pedophile. Dunno why you think the name King of Pop went to him after he died since that phrase was connected to him for many, many years now. I remember news stories about him when I was small that started off saying "The King of Pop" instead of Michael Jackson because everyone knew who you were talking about.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Surprised there wasn't any news about the Foxconn strike here. Apple denied it happened though lol.

He chose not to have surgery because he didn't believe in 'invasive procedures', so even the best government healthcare system (he had enough money to pay for the best doctors anyway) would not have prevented him from dying. He was a victim of pseudo-science, so rather focus your outrage on people that attack our most valuable asset; critical thinking.

Gars Gars said:

Woha!

I didn't see it coming

first of all - thank you for replying

only ramonsters and TorturedChaos almost get it

I just give my credit to the great modern designer - Steve

he is not Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein in this matter

but he is in the other

I tried to make it to his memorial.

But the maps sent me in the wrong direction...

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Get over yourself.

I'm glad that you care about the advancement of society. If you're so full of yourself, why don't you go live in the wilderness for a few years and write a book about how you believe in individualism like Ralph Waldo Emerson? Oh wait...that's another person that you don't care about.

Maybe it's YOU that needs to get over yourself.

ramonsterns said:

Maybe it's YOU that needs to get over yourself.

I can't care about advancements in technology unless I idolize someone? Next you're going to tell me I'll go to a bad place if I don't believe in the sky wizard and his book of fairy tales.

I don't see "Computers for Dummies" AKA Apples and "Privacy Infringement and Data Mining Simulator" AKA Facebook as "advancements" of society. If anything, they set society back a couple of decades.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

There is a very large difference between idolizing and respecting. Not once did I ever say I idolize those people. I hate the Beatles but I respect them. I hate apple, but I respect what they've done. Apple's strategy of making easy to use computers made them a multi-billion dollar company. Facebook was successful because every American seems to have ADHD and can't just do nothing in the 10 second gaps of bordem. Respect is earned, not given. They've earned it. Idolization is given by retards.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

"Call me when the quickest way off this planet and into another habitable atmosphere is available, I promise to have a picture of the man/woman next to my bed and kiss it goodnight every night for the rest of my life."

Why wait for a habitable atmosphere?

ramonsterns said:

Except the problem is, Apple didn't make the computer easier, they just marketed the Macs as such and people were brainwashed into thinking they were. Much like it brainwashed people into thinking it was virus/malware free.

Facebook's failure wasn't its users, it was the fact it was saving user's data and selling it to some company. Also, blaming just Americans for something every country does (read: being stupid) is rather asinine.

1 person liked this | Zoltan Head said:

How feeble-minded does a person have to be to be"brainwashed"? Macs are better at some things, less so at others, I'm not at all keen on Apple in general, but your rabid "Apple is the antichrist" baloney is just wearing!

And if Facebook is a failure, I wouldn't mind sharing in it's awfulness

ramonsterns said:

And if Facebook is a failure, I wouldn't mind sharing in it's awfulness

Trigger happy mod deleted my post.

Basically, learn to read. We weren't talking about its financial success.

Zoltan Head said:

Trigger happy mod deleted my post.

Basically, learn to read. We weren't talking about its financial success.

Re-read the above, then you might understand.

ramonsterns said:

Re-read the above, then you might understand.

That makes no sense whatsoever. You can't simply fumble and tell me to "re-read the above", we weren't talking about Facebook as a financial success, we were talking about its impact on society and its shady practices, which make it a failure as an "advancement of society".

Also, a lot of Apple users think its easier and safer to use a Mac than Windows when that isn't true, so Apple only has a die-hard fanatic base behind it that are easily brainwashed. There is also nothing an Apple can do better than a Windows.

1 person liked this | Zoltan Head said:

(Yawn) OK, as it all needs to be spelt out for you:-

(1) I can and did suggest you re-read something.

(2) Yes, you weren't talking about FB as a financial success; I was (other people sometimes say things too!)

(3) Of course Apple products occasionally do things best, more often vice-versa. If you had read properly, you would have seen me write that I wasn't very keen on Apple generally, only that I objected to knee-jerk responses like yours (ranting away at me as an Apple fan because you didn't understand - that's why I suggested re-reading, thus provoking another knee-jerk retort)

Hope this helps.

Doctor John Doctor John said:

@Zoltan:- From reading the previous posts, I think you may have to simplify this further, to be in with a chance!

ramonsterns said:

(Yawn) OK, as it all needs to be spelt out for you:-

(1) I can and did suggest you re-read something.

Hope this helps.

1. Very well, what is it you'd like me to re-read?

2. You misread our posts, replied with something unrelated and once I pointed it out, you went into full damage control instead of admitting your mistake.

3. I never called you an Apple user, and its hardly a knee-jerk reaction if I've said the same thing for years and people keep buying Apple products without doing any sort of research before hand.

k9182000 said:

I tried to make it to his memorial.

But the maps sent me in the wrong direction...

Lol Nice one

Zoltan Head said:

1. Very well, what is it you'd like me to re-read?

1) What I said.

2) I misread nothing, I made an independent comment which you can't/won't understand.

3) I never said you did call me an Apple user (re-read again!).