First Windows 8 commercial airs, already #1 sold software at Amazon

By on October 15, 2012, 2:30 PM

Microsoft is putting a lot of eggs in Windows 8's basket, making the operating system their make or break product for the coming year or so on both PCs (desktop/laptop) and on tablets, a category where the software giant has zero penetration as of today.

The first Windows 8 commercial is a good one, set at the tune of Eagles of Death Metal's "I Only Want You", you will see a PC explode and then several other touch-enabled computers from a variety of manufacturers showing off bits of the Metro UI and touch applications like the popular game Fruit Ninja. You won't see the Windows desktop at any one point, though admitedly like in other Microsoft ads there's a bigger focus on people and 'happiness' rather than on actual product features.

Our friends at Neowin also point us to this Microsoft Surface advertisement on the streets of Paris - or at Times Square:

Lastly, Amazon has got the retail version of Windows 8 Pro listed and currently taking the best seller spot in the software category. The operating system is in good company of Quicken 2013, Microsoft Office for Mac and PC, as well as Norton Antivirus.

I am sure there will be hoards of brainless zombies that will need to purchase this, cause they need BRAINS!

1 person liked this | inventix1136 said:

I am using the Windows 8 Enterprise RTM version from MSDN and I will say that there is going to be a HUGE backlash against Windows 8 due to the large number of changes made between Windows 7 and Windows 8 -- especially the non-intuitive nature of the interface and the way the OS has a tendency to switch between Desktop to metro apps with no quick way back.

Of course this is just with the desktop version. Just wait for the sh*t storm of complaints when regular people buy devices with Windows 8 RT and realize that they can't run their Win 7 apps on it. For 95% of people, Windows is Windows even if the difference between Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 is the equivalent of iOS vs. OS X. Microsoft should have NEVER named the two OS's Windows 8 because it is going to confuse the vast majority of users. Vista backlash -- please, with Windows 8 there is going to be pitchforks in the streets...

captainawesome captainawesome said:

What many (including myself) have been saying all along.

Cool commercial ...crappy OS

avoidz avoidz said:

When is the next desktop Windows being released? All I see is an OS for touchscreen tablets.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

$70 lmaooooooooooooooo If you have Windows 7 why ohh why would you waste money on this worthless upgrade of an OS???

*yawn*

Where is Windows 7 Service Pack 2. I am gonna need it because I won't be upgrading my operating system for a long long long time to come. At the very least, not until Windows 9 is released. And only then if they treat the desktop like its a desktop and not a portal for watching "YouTube" videos and posting worthless updates on Facebook. How pathetic is this Windows 8.

So it's the #1 seller on Amazon.com right now. That's not unexpected people love new things even if they don't know exactly what to expect. But after the first few weeks of the initial buzz wears off the sales of Windows 8 will flatline.

Kind of like Obama's Presidency did after the first year.

Life is a circus. Sit and back enjoy the show. :)

1 person liked this | avoidz avoidz said:

When I had to google to figure out how to close a PROGRAM (I hate "app" , I knew Windows 8 wouldn't be for me.

I remember everyone acting like this when the first GUI's were coming out... "what?!?! it doesn't boot to the command prompt?!? I dont want to have too learn anything new! Stop changing everything!"

As far as im concerned lets give it the obligatory 1 year before upgrading from 7, and see if its going to catch on? :)

avoidz avoidz said:

Yes, but we've had 20 years of a pretty good GUI that functions efficiently with mouse and keyboard to get our work and play done. And now there's this big colored thing with tiles and "apps" and awkward mouse controls. And before that, the *shudder* Ribbon toolbar. It seems to me a devolution.

Can someone please tell me how to launch Paint and Calculator in Windows 8?

So far, all I've got is: open a command line, type "mspaint".

This is progress?

avoidz avoidz said:

You can just start typing 'mspaint' or 'calc' anytime from the Start Screen and it comes up with a list of progs, doesn't it? Then you hit Enter.

Or you right-click and bring up the 'Apps' list.

(I'd try it on my virtual 8 installation, but it's lagging really slowly for some reason.)