Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, new Star Wars movie in 2015

By on October 31, 2012, 7:30 AM

The Walt Disney Company has announced plans to purchase Lucasfilm Ltd. from founder George Lucas. The film company loved by millions of Star Wars fans worldwide will soon change hands as part of a deal valued at $4.05 billion.

Lucas, who owns 100 percent of Lucasfilm, will receive roughly 40 million shares in Disney with the remaining sum being paid in cash. Based on the current value of Disney shares ($50.08), the deal is split nearly right down the middle in terms of shares versus cash.

In a statement, Lucas said it was simply time for him to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. He noted that he always believed the franchise would live beyond him and that it was important to set up that transition during his lifetime.

“I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, 'Star Wars' will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come,” Lucas said. “Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”

Kathleen Kennedy is the current co-chairman of Lucasfilm and will become president of the company once the acquisition is complete, according to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Under her leadership, it does indeed appear that Disney will continue the Star Wars franchise.

In addition to the acquisition, the company also announced plans to produce a seventh Star Wars film, aptly named “Star Wars: Episode VII,” which should be ready for theaters in 2015. In fact, Lucas himself said he already has story treatments for the next three films and several other movies that will be passed to Kennedy for consideration.

2 people like this | Timonius Timonius said:

...mixed feelings...

Oh the horror! I can really see this angering a huge portion of the geek population. *nerd*

Critica1Hit said:

Mickey will be the new Yoda... someone kill me now plz.

nismo91 said:

New THX logo? lol

RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

Three words that describe how I am feeling right now: Nervous, Excited, Marvel

avioza said:

Perhaps there is hope to rescue future movies from being butchered by George Lucas. I think in the end he placed himself beyond constructive criticism, being a legend in his own mind. This geek is happy I think...

ramonsterns said:

Star Wars Theme Park? I'd go.

As for the movies, it can't get any worse than what George Lucas was already doing himself.

RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

Star Wars Theme Park? I'd go.

Except he made the originals and those are what your in love with?

ramonsterns said:

Except he made the originals and those are what your in love with?

We're you in a comma for the past 10 years?

And I didn't "love" them, I just liked them.

Omg , yoda is the (dwarf) beast, or the 8th dwarf.

RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

They weren't bad if you understand the story. I thought Pod Racing wasn't bad, Clone Wars story was pretty good. Except George did mess up the love story, god I wish Irvin Kershner was still alive. Revenge of the Sith wasn't a bad movie. Overall, all three films weren't bad, they just didn't live up to what people wanted them to be. As a die heart Star Wars fan, yeah the films sucked if you haven't read any of the books that lead up to the movies or took place during the trilogy. As a person whose passionate about movies, they were pretty good movies, not great but not terrible either.

1 person liked this | treetops treetops said:

Lucas probably wasn't going to make anymore movies, something > nothing.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Disney has been doing good with Marvel, so I will assume they will be good...

likedamaster said:

Don't expect Disney to be careful with the franchise, they WILL ***** them out. To the detriment of the series or perhaps to its benefit, we will surely see.

I hope the new star wars movie will feature the story about the rise of the sith empire before the founding of the old republic, many, many years ago.

avioza said:

Except he made the originals and those are what your in love with?

He directed one of them and then made that one worse later on...

1 person liked this | amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Who cares if people are worried about the sanctity of the franchise, what a load of crap that is. Star Wars was influenced by many many things and is far from original itself. George Lucas took inspiration from many sources/places. Watch the documentaries on the blu ray collection.

That being said, I am stoked. A couple gripes I had with Episode 1 2 and 3 was that they came across too polished, with excessive use of CGI to impress, not tell a story. They just didn't feel 'real' and sometimes I felt like I was watching a cutscene on a videogame.

They have a million things to possibly explore here but I would like to see them start a new trilogy after the events of Return of the Jedi with a secret Apprentice of Darth Vader, returning to bring hell and rebuild/remake a new DeathStar or new massive battle station.

Stop hating and get excited, there are good writers in our generation, give them a chance.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

>> sort of looses it's draw after the defeat of the bad guys? they follow Luke back home and watch him deal with his PTSD and loss of his dad? maybe go visit Han and Leia as they turn into Jon and Kate plus chewy ?

gotta know then to end a series and the bad guys getting 'blowed up real good..' end it.

I. am. horrified.

"The new scripts are based on the story after the defeat of the empire. There are books written about the story after Episode VI, if you care enough to go to a library. I'm not going to lie though, the story is pretty crappy."

scripts change, directors come and go.

disney movies even reinvent the stories from the thousand and one arabian nights.

now that there is a new owner, the possibilities are endless.

may be we will see aliens vs jedi. :)

"...aliens vs jedi"

That's pretty much what the Yuuzhan Vong were.

Let's not forget; Marvel, Pixar and up until recently Miramax all formed part of Disney's stable. Not exactly duds for churning out quality entertainment. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Always wanted to see Mickey Mouse with a lightsaber. "Donald, you will fly to Pluto, to learn the ways of the Jedi".

"...aliens vs jedi"

"That's pretty much what the Yuuzhan Vong were."

not really, the yuuzhan vong who hates machine technology are intelligent beings.

on the other hand, the alien are parasite first, then matured to become the ultimate predators...

...until they killed the franchise by introducing the predators who love machine technology in AVP movie series.

lol, AVP vs jedi.

import homer simpson and my weekend is a done deal.:)

RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

Except he made the originals and those are what your in love with?

He directed one of them and then made that one worse later on...

I said made not directed. Would you rather have me use the word Created?

RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

Rumor has it that they are going to tell start telling the story where Luke would be 60 which means they are going with the Legacy of the Force series, which would be awesome to see in film form.

avioza said:

I said made not directed. Would you rather have me use the word Created?

Ok, well it's the directing thats been the problem... which Is why there is now hope for the future. A new hope...

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Luke at 60? "Listen up kids, I'm going to tell you a story,a story about how I met your mother"