Google Maps app for iOS downloaded 10M times in the first two days

By on December 18, 2012, 11:08 AM

Google Maps returned to iOS in the form of a third-party app less than a week ago and we’ve now learned that the search giant’s app was downloaded more than 10 million times in just 48 hours. If numbers alone are any indication, Apple users have sorely missed Google Maps on their portable devices.

Senior vice president of commerce and local at Google, Jeff Huber, revealed the news recently as a post on his Google+ page. He noted that Google was excited for the positive reception of Google Maps for iPhone around the world and further congratulated the maps team for their passion and hard work on this release and previous launches spanning the past seven years.

If you recall, Google’s native mapping application got the boot earlier this year in iOS 6 and was replaced with Cupertino’s admittedly lacking Apple Maps. Google Maps had been a staple of the iPhone since the first handset launched way back in 2007. But much like Apple is doing with Samsung on the hardware side, they were aiming to be less dependent on Google seeing as they are now their main rival in the mobile OS scene.

Apple’s offering was plagued from day one with incorrect directions, missing places on maps and other bugs that led most to have a poor overall experience. This resulted in a public outcry from consumers and tech journalists alike. Apple CEO publically apologized for the fiasco just a week after the iPhone 5 launched, saying his company had fallen short in delivering the best mapping experience possible.

There has been an accounting error, the app was not meant to be free. If you have downloaded the app, please do the right thing and paypal me $4.99 at cody*****@gmail.com. Thank you. /s LOL

Tygerstrike said:

Wow if Apple can learn to be humble, the world must really be ending soon! All joking aside, Its good to see not only that Apple can admit when they are wrong, but can also work with the supposed competition and get the customers what they want/need.

Fingers crossed for Apple, Im hoping we are seeing the first of many positive changes in the Apple business model. Apple has been so gung ho about sueing everyone that they have become the Troll under the Bridge. You know...Apple could win back all those lost customers by simply showing that they arent a bunch of corporate asshats and thier customers DO matter to them.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Arguably, it's less about Apple being humble and probably has more to do with avoiding further consumer backlash if it got out that Apple blocked Google-maps.

Both companies want to track what your doing and buying for their own evil marketing purposes so what does it all really matter?

MilwaukeeMike said:

If Google maps has been part of iOS since the original iPhone, then why did it take so long before Google maps was available? Was there no version available because Google didn't have one available, or was the delay because of Apple?

I tried Google Maps and really like it however the turn by turn navigation sucks the life out of my battery and the iPhone turns into a hand warmer.

Tygerstrike said:

@Mike

Remeber Google has grown into the giant it has become. Im guessing originally that Google signed an exclusivity contract with Apple that allowed Apple to use the service for X amount of time before Google could use it.

khha4113 khha4113 said:

Actually, the old "Google Maps" was Apple's app, using Google's data. Apple licensed Google's data until mid 2013, but they chose not to use them any more in iOS 6.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

What are you talking about? How is Apple humble? The 'apology letter' isn't humble. Neither are there any positive changes within Apple, and they sure as heck didn't cooperate with Google to get this app in the store.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Also please excuse the 'tone' of this post - I'm not trying to seem angry at you. Either you or I have missed something, so need to get it right. :P

windmill007 said:

I use garmin USA when I want reliable gps. Google sucks and apple isn't that bad.

Divvet said:

Atleast Google will get you where you want to go.

Tygerstrike said:

@Stickman

I see you missed the part where I said "All joking aside"

I see you also missed where I said "fingers crossed for Apple" I was pointing out how this was a positive move for Apple and hoped it was the first in a long line of positive changes.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

If I was Google, I wouldn't have put it on the iPhone, I would have let Apple suffer. Google probably would have sold a lot more Android devices.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

@Stickman

I see you missed the part where I said "All joking aside"

Thanks.