Gates, Zuckerberg and others come together in coding PSA

By on February 26, 2013, 6:30 PM

A number of high-profile members of the technology industry have teamed up with celebrities to back a new initiative designed to get kids interested in programming. The nonprofit foundation Code.org wants to get more schools involved in teaching programming classes while at the same time, directing visitors to coding resources that are already available online.

The promo video for the initiative runs nearly six minutes long and includes a who’s who list of celebrities and prominent figures in the tech community including Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell and Miami Heat NBA star Chris Bosh, just to name a few.

Bosh got started with technology and coding at an early age as he was part of an afterschool group called the Whiz Kids. He didn’t care that his friends made fun of him because he was having fun and learning at the same time.

The clip showcases some of the fun and relaxed work environments that today’s coders call home. For example, Google’s Mountain View headquarters contains a bowling alley, bocce courts and more than two dozen cafes – all free of charge. Other employers offer amenities like free laundry service, video games to play and scooters to ride – all while on the clock. If that doesn’t sound like an awesome working environment to you, I don’t know what does.

Kids are reminded that you don’t have to be a genius to get started with programming. All you need is basic addition, subtraction and multiplication skills and you’re set.

There’s no doubt that computers and technology are the future and considering that just one in 10 schools teach students how to write code today, such an initiative likely couldn’t afford to come at a later date.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And exactly which language should be the main course of study for such an effort?

Should it be something simple and easy to understand or something complex to get the job done right the first time?

ArthurZ ArthurZ said:

I salute to both living legends!

2 people like this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

This will bring all new meaning to the term "script kiddies". (Sorry, it had to be said.)

Cheese Cake said:

My high school has a programming class for people who wants to learn. I learned a bit of coding while I was in the class, it was fun at the same time.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Son where in the world did you learn to hack the Pentagon?

At school dad, everybody is doing it!!!

RzmmDX said:

Python.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well, regardless of what language is taught, it's a good thing for students to have a better understanding of programming, before they decide on the possibilities of their future. In my opinion this is more useful than sports or band.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

It's scary to think how far behind kids who don't have easy access to a computer will fall. Getting coding classes in schools is definitely something I can get behind.

But I'm cool with not knowing how to code for now. I heard Lil' Wayne smashed Bosh's wife while he was out coding.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

There?s no doubt that computers and technology are the future

I heard that when I was a little boy and that was decades ago. What's changed?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I'm surprised at how low the numbers are, a bit interested in to see what schools they counted (were elementary schools included?) but I'm too lazy to look it up. The reason I'm surprised is because I graduated HS in 1998. In 7th grade I had a computer class where we wrote some BASIC. Then I moved schools a couple times and ended up at a very rural high school. I had a class there in 1996 or 1997 on programming in Pascal. So it seems odd that only 10% of schools teach some coding when I graduated with 46 or so people, 15 years ago, and had access to a programming class. To put that time in perspective, Windows 98 hadn't came out yet, and Windows 95 was new enough most computers at our school didn't have it.

Zeromus said:

Python.

Python.

Railman said:

My daughter is being taught programming using Python.

Zeromus said:

My daughter is being taught programming using Python.

Such an elegant language. Truly extraterrestrials will discover us and consider python as a classic.