Metro: Last Light Tested, Benchmarked

By on May 21, 2013, 1:28 AM

When the Metro 2033 was released in 2010 it contributed to raise the PC graphics bar making good use of the latest DirectX 11 rendering technologies such as depth of field and tessellation along with high resolution textures.

Metro: Last Light follows its predecessor roots by using a heavily customized version of the 4A Engine. Three years of extra work put into the engine and you can take for granted that visual effects such as lighting, which was a huge focus for 4A Games in the original Metro have been vastly improved. There's also a lot more destruction and interactivity into the environments.

Furthermore, the developer has continued to cater to loyal PC gamers who have considerably more power than console gamers at its disposal by including a richer gaming experience visually as well as a benchmark tool for measuring your system's performance.

Read the complete article.

veLa veLa said:

It was a good idea to wait for ATI to fix their drivers before performing these tests. I'm happy to say my system with an AMD FX-8320, 16GB of DDR3, and a GTX 670 handles this game near perfectly at 1080p.

TechSpot, have you tested with the later released AMD patch for MLL? Please respond, thanks.

2 people like this |
Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Failed to read the article, huh? It's mentioned a couple of times, see "Testing Methodology". And yes, we waited and tested the patched version for AMD cards.

1 person liked this |
Staff
Steve Steve said:

Also look at the graphs the version number is noted at the very top of every graph.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Great read. Nice to see another game so comprehensively benchmarked with such an array of cards and processors.

Looking forward to firing up the game myself once I have a little down time.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Now, if only the developer will once again offer metro: last light as a free game on facebook just like metro: 2033.

Why does a benchmark or performance test always show Intel at the top half and AMD bottom half? And AMD flagship competing with Intel's budget i3s.

4 people like this |
Staff
Steve Steve said:

The reason is simple ...Intel chips are much faster at the moment, core efficiency is considerably better. The FX-8350 competes with the Core i5 chips not the Core i7, AMD has nothing that can compete with the Core i7 and it has been that way for quite a few years now.

Dawn1113 said:

Good read, as always. I'm thinking this game will make my rig crawl.

I pre-ordered this one, but I've not had the chance to install it yet. I've been up to my neck in work for so long now I no longer remember what it feels like to get six hours of uninterrupted sleep. Can't wait until the weekend, when I can finally take a break and give this game the attention it requires.

Thanks for the well-written article. I really appreciate the SLI benchmarks, too. Thank you for the effort.

Believe this test did not run with Nvidia's exclusive "Advanced PhysX" ON. Or it might have cripple AMD performance...

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Awwww... crossfire isn't working huh? Well, game still looks good. I'll snag a copy when AMD fixes crossfire.

1 person liked this | colinf said:

Quick note there's a typo in the cpu tests...it has 3850 instead of 8350 under the 2nd graph.

Editor: Fixed, thanks.

EmirSc EmirSc said:

Nice article, for the record I played the game with:

GTX 460 1GB

4GB DDR3

I53330

1920x1080

High settings, no SSAA, no TESS.

avg fps: 40

JC713 JC713 said:

I think AMD has to get on top of drivers like nVidia. It took AMD a year or two to get the driver right for Metro 2033 to beat out nVidia's performance. They really need to work on that. Plus isnt this game more exclusive to AMD like 2033 was?

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

I don't think so, JC. It was actually apart of a promotion from Nvidia. So, I assume it's more of a exclusive for them.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

^ We have seen that exclusive titles don't necessarily perform better on a certain brand...sometimes the opposite. I am just playing TERA and BL2 right now but it everytime I see a game like this trample a 670 at 1600p I get this urge to order another one and go SLi. Muuust...rrrresist.....arrgghh.

veLa veLa said:

Well that's partially true, but also the bottom half of the chips are mostly AMD budget chips. The AMD FX-8350 was nearing the top, definitely showing it's a match for the i5 series.

Lionvibez said:

Based on how low the frame rate is on high and Very high it will cripple fps on NV hardware aswell unless you have a dedicated card for Physx.

Which I happen to have in my Radeon 6970+650 superclock setup.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

it will cripple fps on NV hardware.

Something like a 660Ti will handle PhysX very well by itself at high settings on 1080p.

I have seen people have issues trying to run green and red together though.

Lionvibez said:

I have seen people have issues trying to run green and red together though.

Yes there are some issues. Once setup properly has been great.

Currently play with it on in Borderlands 2 and Batman AC GOTY also Metro 2033.

I'm thinking its about time to replace the 6970 and go up to the 7970 Ghz if I want to play on High or High Quality for this game.

Cpu is i7-970 @ 4Ghz

Staff
Steve Steve said:

I have seen people have issues trying to run green and red together though.

Yes there are some issues. Once setup properly has been great.

Currently play with it on in Borderlands 2 and Batman AC GOTY also Metro 2033.

Cpu is i7-970 @ 4Ghz

Don't rush into it the new GeForce 700 series may drive pricing down a little.

Crossfire is working for me at least. I was getting an easy 60 fps with 6970 CF on high settings ssaa disabled.

^ me, guest again. At 2560x1440 on the day after launch.

Lionvibez said:

Don't rush into it the new GeForce 700 series may drive pricing down a little.

When is the release date?

I was thinking of grabbing the MSI R7970 Twin Frozr with the 4 Game bundle (Far Cry 3 BD,Crysis 3,Bioshock,Tomb Raider) for $409.99

How much of a drop are you expecting in price cause that is a pretty good deal ?

Staff
Steve Steve said:

The GTX 780 is being launched tomorrow and then GTX 770 the week after. No idea if prices will even drop, the GTX 770 will have more impact on the 7970 I suspect.

Lionvibez said:

Cool when are you going to have numbers up

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Cool when are you going to have numbers up

Tomorrow

Not really. I have a single GTX670 overclocked a little paired with i7-3770K @ 4.5Ghz, I maxed out all available in-game graphics settings (VeryHigh) with phsyX on except leaving SSAA OFF and I have consistent smooth 60fps most of the times with adaptive vsync on (though gunfights and numerous creatures charge me at once still dips down to 40fps), places with extensive amount of smokes and particle effects like snow wind, wreckages on the surface still dips me down to 40fps. But overall I'm very happy I still get 60fps most of the times...

Lionvibez said:

I c so then I stand corrected.

luvhuffer luvhuffer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Beautiful rich game. Didn't know about the patch but it runs perfect with my HD6870 at 1920x1200 on my 28".

Lionvibez said:

You forget to mention the 2nd most important thing next to the resolution.

Run perfect at medium settings.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Am I the only one that noticed that SLI isn't exactly working well? The scaling is dirt poor for my 680s and as as this review indicates it is also poor for the 660s. I was expecting about a 80% boost in performance considering these were "Metro beta drivers"...not a pathetic 40% boost in performance. I can't even stand the game on 5960x1080 at any of the quality settings. I have to play on the 720p variant of triple screen and even then high game somewhat cripple my system pulling a pathetic 45 fps. I don't even have SSAA enabled.

i7 3770k @ 5ghz

2xEvga GTX 680 SOC SLI

4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 2133

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

i7 3770k @ 5ghz

2xEvga GTX 680 SOC SLI

4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 2133

I installed the new drivers, new game update, and turned off advanced physx and I was able to play the game at about 60 fps on 5960x1080 on very high settings. My GPU usage went from 50% on each card up to 85% so it looks like the scaling is getting better.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Wow such a demanding game just like its predecessor. So im confused in this respect, why does overclocking not make much of an impact. Does this game just not use up the full strength of the processors or what?

I have an FX-8350 Overclocked at 4.7, I like the fact this game will use up to 6 threads because that going to come in handy.

Cant wait to try this on my 2 HD 6990's and FX-8350 to see how my machine holds up to it on Ultra :P

Lionvibez said:

Cant wait to try this on my 2 HD 6990's and FX-8350 to see how my machine holds up to it on Ultra :p

Holy processor bottleneck in that build.

Even at 4.7Ghz.

You have $1400 dollars in gpus powered by a $200 cpu?

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Yea, it's fine, I don't experience a bottleneck or if I do it's very subtle. I've benched my computer testing it and I can hit 100 on all 4 cores and my CPU does not max fully. My phenom I used to have did bottleneck it though.