Xbox One will force gamers to stay online after all

By on June 7, 2013, 8:30 AM
microsoft, xbox, kinect, xbox live, online gaming, gaming console, used games, always on, xbox one

For a console that has yet to be released, the Xbox One is garnering a lot of negative press from the media and its once loyal fans. To make matters worse, Microsoft described a few new features slated for the upcoming console – and they don’t look very good. As a matter of fact, they give off an eerie Big Brother vibe that is most unwelcome.

Through an online post made available on Thursday, Microsoft made it clear that they are striving for an interconnected gaming experience. In other words, offline play is over, whether you like it or not. Much like how parents place restrictions on their children’s internet usage by setting maximum time limits, Microsoft is requiring Xbox One owners to connect to the web at least once every 24 hours, or else your gaming privileges are cut-off.

Microsoft went on to say that Xbox One account holders would be able to access their personalized media through other people’s consoles; but in this particular case, the user must confirm their identity each and every hour.

“Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection,” the software giant said in the statement. Luckily, these conditions will not extend to watching live TV or using the console’s built-in Blu-ray player to view movies.

The next big Xbox One announcement was targeted at second-hand game owners. Based on Microsoft’s new licensing model, publishers will be given the freedom to prevent the resale of used games, which means that reactivation fees will probably be the end result.

A related question was how the new Xbox would deal with direct disc transfers between friends. According to Microsoft, although there will be no fees associated with the transfer, there are still some limitations. The game can only be sent to individuals that have been formally listed as an Xbox friend for a minimum of 30 days, and each game can only be transferred once.

If there was any positive news regarding the Microsoft statement, it has to do with the Kinect feature. A lot of people held privacy concerns over the "always on" sensor, but Microsoft clarified that it will only be listening in on a single voice command – “Xbox On”. For those not completely convinced, Microsoft said that the feature can be easily disabled.

9 people like this | Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Awesome. Hey Microsoft why don't you tell us what budget we should have for buying your crap? Oh and how much to spend on Internet. And is there a min spend on DLC per month? Can I take a game to a mates place?

Oh wait. I don't have to put up with your crap...

6 people like this | 3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

That just sucks a big red tamato....... Well I guess I will buy the PS4 then...

2 people like this | paynetrain007 said:

Blah Blah Blah, None of this is really more then a minor inconvenience. The used game thing has always been available to publishers like EA's model. I actually applaud Microsoft taking the initiative to provide publishers abilities to protect their merchandise. The majority of people out their will not have an issue with having to check in every so often. I think it would be nice if they made it phone up less often, because their are small situations every now in then where due to the inadequacies of American internet companies one could be without internet for 24 hours or more. But if these practices do for the console market what it did for the PC market and lower the average price of games and the quickness with which the game prices fall, then I may return to the console market for more then just exclusives like Halo and Forza, and to party games on the Kinect.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's Sony's game to lose now you feel...

2 people like this | blackbellysheep said:

So we've started a #DontBuyXB1 hashtag on twitter to promote the "not buying" of this console unless M$ actually treats us as loyal gamers and stop effing us up.

2 people like this | Guest said:

Cry me a river guys. I mean seriously, who here has had their Internet actually be 'out' out for a 24 hour period? The Most my Internet has been out is maybe 6 hours, if that. People complaining about this is stupid, because it just makes you sound like a whiny spoiled little brat. Grow up.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Wasn't there an article previously about a ceo or someone with position denying this claim? If so, they lied to the consumers lol

5 people like this | Will86c Will86c said:

My internet went out for days at a time while I was overseas in Iraq/Kuwait. My Xbox was one of the few forms of reliable entertainment. We used to have Halo tournaments when we had a couple free hours, sadly this seems to no longer be possible.

4 people like this | wastedkill said:

There are a lot of ISP's that are that bad that connections CAN and WILL drop out for more than 24hrs AKA virgin media in the UK so please shut up and have more common sense not every ISP is 100% perfect.

4 people like this | Puiu Puiu said:

I did. and it's normal in some places to have problems.

consider this: you want to play, but you haven't used the console for more than 24h. you switch it on... surprise! the internet is down for 2-3 hours. bye bye games, going to sleep now.

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

"...and each game can only be transferred once." I'm pretty sure that it's "given", not transferred. Suggesting that you still keep a copy.

But anyways, unless they have it so that it doesn't require checking in while it has the disc (like how every other console before it) and digital downloads do not become affected, then this console is going to bomb in the gaming market.....

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Im gonna say this much, a lot of people are making this "Always Online" thing to be a bigger deal than it is.

In this day and age (Especially with wireless tech) the internet is in most homes and people have some form of wireless. Forcing people to connect will allow them to keep the console up to date easier and your games will update if an issue arises and needs to be fixed. Right now my Xbox, PS3, and Wii's are connected to the internet (When they are on). So whats the big deal with this, a lot of yall are making this sound like they are going to be shut off permanently from gaming. If you cant get an internet connection for the machine somehow, then I guess the Xbox One is not for you. But even with going to LAN parties with it, its going to have been connected once recently and be able to play offline if necessary at the party. I personally think a lot of people are riding a wave of Hype on this and trying to find a reason to dislike it, its not an end all problem and in face its going to probably make things a lot smoother in the long run.

Progress is being made in this industry just like everywhere else, we cant just cling to the past and rely on things to always be the same as they are now. The internet is so widly available, of course they are wanting to take the next step in making the console try and stay connected to make sure its running fine and so they can improve the experience. That's just the definition of progress, moving forward.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

No, it's given, as in gifted to someone, but they can't gift it back to you.

4 people like this | j05hh j05hh said:

So if a friend has a game you want to try "Hey let me try that game to see if it like it before I waste $60 on it" Oh wait I can't... Microsoft fail again. LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMERS!!!!!

spencer spencer said:

They don't care about money;the globalists have teamed up on this one to spy on all Americans;this decision was probably made at BILDERBERG this week anyway.

5 people like this | Puiu Puiu said:

It's just MS failing hard. There will be a lot of people who will get it for Halo and the TV stuff, but it's clear who won this generation. Sony has to something incredibly stupid to give MS even a 10% chance to sell half as much as the 360.

Progress does not mean more restrictions, it's the exact opposite.

2 people like this | Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

Sandy!! Neighbor with 3 young boys ran a generator just to have access to games for the young and refrigeration for food...you can tell his priorities from that.

5 people like this | Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

Blah Blah Blah, None of this is really more then a minor inconvenience.

Sufficient 'minor inconvenience' to sideline this user.

5 people like this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Progress does not mean more restrictions, it's the exact opposite.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

3 people like this | J_Gert J_Gert said:

Sales will tell all! If the consumers talk with their wallet, then things will change. If people buy into Xbox One, then Microsoft will look at it as a success. Just get a PS4 and not an Xbox, and Microsoft will get the "oh shit" I screwed up.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Put me in the crowd that doesn't think the "always on" connection is that big of a deal. It's just the nature of electronics and technology these days. I'd be willing to bet that those complaining about it are the same people who have their smart phone turned on 24/7 just in case they don't miss an important text or tweet from a friend telling them they're having Chinese food right now.

There's plenty of reasons to dislike about the new XBox and what MS is trying to make it into. An always on connection isn't one of them.

2 people like this | psycros psycros said:

Really? Please give us a single justification for this absurd requirement. Go ahead, provide some example of how being forced to check in with Microsoft daily so we can play OFFLINE games makes any sense.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Because it's their system, they have their reasons (multimedia integration, piracy prevention, game sharing limitation) and that's how they want it. You don't like it? Don't buy it. Pretty simple.

What bothers me about this is the idea that the Xbox team sat down to design the One and instead of saying "What do we want to do to make the next great gaming console?" they said "What can we do to make more money from all the renters and aftermarket buyers out there?"

I'd rather than relied on making a truly awesome product than trying to stop any and all ways to get a cheaper game played.

4 people like this | Chuck Cortes Chuck Cortes said:

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. The ****** who think its OK for a company to screw them because its the status quo (makes you wonder why they hated Hitler so much), the ****** who think they are obligated to buy this system even when they hate all the "I'm gonna lock up the system because I can" features just because they can't stop being stupid fanboys and those of us who are smart enough to avoid these system and game on PCs because PCs always have been and always will be better than consoles, the games always have been and always will be better and while Steam and Blizzard has similar limitations, I can still play offline for several weeks before I am locked out and when it comes to the games I wanna play and how I want to play them, the mod community steps in and makes an old tired game even better, something consoles cant do. If I wanted to take it one step further, I can pirate any game if I wanted to without having to hack my system. If I wanted to.

So you console fanboys can cry all you want or bend over and take what M$ and Sony are gonna stick in you all. PC gamers will always be better because it still takes a computer to make your games and hack your systems. Losers.

2 people like this | amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Microsoft is still making decisions based on thier ego and thier stock keeps dropping.

How many diapers do you go through a day?

1 person liked this | skyczy said:

I completely agree here. in order to protect the developers of used games, always online is going to be required. (DUH!) publishers will PREFER to do business with Microsoft instead of Sony (if sony doesn't match MS on this), and you know what makes good games? Having publishers/dev on your side!!!

bring on the always online - im connected to a fiber line, why would I ever disonnect it anyways? bring on the cloud era.

I laugh because people thing cloud is bad now....wait until it hits full force in 5 to 10 yrs

1 person liked this | skyczy said:

dood, u got it right. people sit around and complain about consoles, but at the end of the dday, thats what a fukin console is..... they should just shut up and not buy it. get a damn gaming PC. its cheaper anyways. (games are free when u download them from Piratebay. games on consoles are 70 bucks. **** that!)

Chuck Cortes Chuck Cortes said:

How many diapers do you go through a day?

Nice try. I have a 14 year old PS3 gamer and he spends all of his free time on his bed playing. I don't and besides, my office chair is much more comfortable than his bed.

See, I haven't read one comment yet about the big brother aspect of the always online part. Everyones just saying oh what a minor inconvenience you would have to turn your machine on. Does no one else here GLaDOS asking " Are you there? "

No? It's just me then.

The Xbox should not have as many fans as it does. And I deem anyone who, says nice things about MS and its piece of garbage to have a low IQ. Buying the ultimate piece of Red Ring junk. The loser of the consoles. The one that stifled the ports and made them all as poor as they were. Thank MS. And up yours to all you who bought 5 of them instead of just giving up.

Now this epic piece of back pedalling BS console. "Quick tell everyone we won't be doing all those horrible things, that have been rumored." Show box, wait for everyone to be hooked .... "Now we can admit we will be scum, taking snapshots of your livingroom on the sly. "Are you there?"

If you buy this console I will be asking the same question to your brain. "Are you there?" :D

The only era Microsoft is ushering in is an era where you don't own the video games/movies/etc...that you've bought. Because of the online requirement you're the proud licensee of the brand new Halo, not the proud owner of the brand new Halo.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

No, it's given, as in gifted to someone, but they can't gift it back to you.

Hmmm... maybe I misinterpreted it... Would be nice if you could keep your copy though ;P

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Progress does not mean more restrictions, it's the exact opposite.

Your joking, just like last round when people said the exact same thing. I really don't see the big deal that people are making over everything. A lot of this stuff we will have to see function in person to know for sure at e3 this year. I think some of the things people aren't liking are getting made into bigger deals than they really are.

The brave men and women of the armed forces, who don't have a reliable internet connection, and the millions of Americans still on dial-up who also want to enjoy gaming would like to have a word with you.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

For the armed service people, you got me there. For the supposed "millions" on dial up still, no there are not many people left on dial up. There is almost no service providers left that even allow dial up.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Me, when I moved house a month ago it took Orange 3 weeks to connect our internet. So shut up.

1 person liked this | Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Don't you just hate when paranoia gets the better of a multibillion dollar company, forcing them to make bad decision after bad decision, it's actually pretty pathetic. The only way this can have any redeeming features is by costing a lot less than the competition, and I mean a whole lot less, $30 games, $300 launch price, heck any pricing information would be nice. That would be something wouldn't it, but the chances of that are quite low. To all the people who claim the always online to be "not a big deal" and not being able to share your games, let alone use them at a friends house without any intrusions. Please point out the features that you would consider redeeming, so far all the press has been mediocre at best to bad and even really bad with some of the announcements today. But I was never planing on buying this thing, so don't think your going to change my mind, I'm just curious.

1 person liked this | ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

I agree that it really isn't a big deal to check in every 24 hrs, seeing how just about everyone always has their Xbox connected 24/7. That being said, it is a shame that Microsoft feels the need to keep shooting themselves in the foot by releasing a great product, but making sure they include some unnecessary feature that upsets the majority of their users.

I don't know the math, but I think Microsoft is thinking that the cut they will earn off of all of the game sales (Increased by reducing used games sales, piracy, and game trading) will offset the reduced user base (decreased by check ins and whatever else everybody hates about Xbox One). I guess that also explains why they are focusing so much on the non-gaming aspect of the Xbox; it's because they know their gaming user base is about to take a hit.

Or at least that is my best guess on this whole "Xbox One" deal. Either way, computers are wayyy better than consoles.

1 person liked this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You beat me to it! I'm guessing the people who are so adamant that the 24 hour check-in is no big deal still live in the basement of their parents' house and have never EVER had to endure a move? Because they would realize that is one huge and VERY common situation where you can be without internet (and/or something like your Xbox) for days, even weeks depending on how (and how far) you are moving. I just moved 10 miles and was without internet and my media/gaming setup for 2 days. And I was prepared!

As others pointed out, you can look to bad service areas, or natural disasters and other acts of God for outages. But something as simple as moving is a common issue that nearly everyone has experienced... The lack of even basic consideration of simple facts like that, and calling people "whiny brats" for being concerned about it, indicates a pretty substantial level of immaturity.

Another one bites the dust and another one gone and another one gone, I wont be buying this anymore. Oh well I'll stick to pc gaming from now on.

Microsoft doesn't care about the bad PR. There will always be people buying an Xbox One even though Microsoft & the game publishers are showing the middle finger toward the consumers.

Honestly, we're all better off outside hiking, biking, playing street hockey etc. then wasting our time, health, intelligence and savings pumping up the rich greedies of the world. Vote with your pocketbook. Bye bye xbox, windows and deceptive controlling companies in general.

Linux for a free world.

Stupid is you, you think that only USA exists in the world?

Internet in other countries are not like that, and no company should set rules that cannot be acomplished in some country.

And what happens if we go on holiday for a few days or weeks, we gotta rely on somebody going into our house just to switch on the XBOX?

coppersloane coppersloane said:

My computer's always on, and always online. My phone is just about always on, and always online. My tablet, upon which I type this message, is always online. Why the hell shouldn't my game console be?

2 people like this | coppersloane coppersloane said:

You gamers are forgetting something crucial in this debate: YOU are the minority.

If Microsoft can rope even a quarter of the players they had with the 360, they'll STILL stand toe to toe with Sony, and perhaps (which is my prediction) even surpass them. Why? It's simple: The Xbox One will appeal to EVERYONE else outside the gaming circle.

The casual gamers (which most, believe it or not, are), the moms, the dads, the aunts, the uncles, the grandparents, the shop owners, the university lecturers. How is this possible? Duh. Because it's a platform to do a heck of a lot more than just GAME on, and it's a platform that will allow people to do it with ease.

This is the price you gamer fanboys (again I'll remind you that you're in the entertainment minority) have to pay for gaming going mainstream: it's no longer an industry just for you. The whole world is in on this now.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I'm gonna love my PS4

1 person liked this | theBest11778 theBest11778 said:

I'm more worried about the direction this this taking. 1st you MUST have the Kinect plugged in at all times. I don't care about the Kinect nor it's features. In addition I do no want a camera on me connected to an always on internet connection... ever. The fact that you have to have your Xbox connect to the internet every 24 hours is silly. What if you pack it up, and drive somewhere for 3 days??? You can't plug it in your car during that time. Will it reactivate once it sees internet again? Thanks MS.

As far as the games being linked to your account, that isn't an issue. Steam's been doing that for years. If you buy Left 4 Dead, or Metro for PC in the store, it's just a Steam access code, and no one else can ever play it. Console gamers will get used to that part, but the difference is... Steam offers games for 75% off only a few months after launch. The last time I saw a deal like that on Xbox live was... never ago. Steam bundles multiple licenses for an even cheaper price so you can split costs with a friend (friends.)

Remove the Kinect requirement, remove the internet requirement, and your gold. Linking licenses to accounts will fly over time, but heavy discounts will be required. Use Steam as your model for that. Oh, and upgrade the GPU to match the PS4. I don't want to be running 720P while the PS4 is running 1080P... then you have a sale here.

Lionvibez said:

You are free to think that but some of us like having phyiscal access and control of our own data!

Passnot said:

I agree. We live in a world motivated by capitalism and justified by the free market. Every corporation is out to get whatever income you can spare for their product. Sony is no different than Microsoft. Both companies want your $$$, not your friendship. The only difference between them is how they go about reaching the "targeted" audience. Sony believes if they go after the hardcore gamers, the rest will fall like dominoes. Microsoft wants to have it's cake and eat it too. Cake being hardcore and casuals.

This new generation of console's is not your grand daddy's atari anymore. Neither are so many other things that never used to use the internet either. Phones, cars, typewriters(old pp's computer)...etc.

It sucks when the power or internet is down, but if you can afford either, not being able to play your $400 console is the least of your problems.