Weekend Open Forum: Will you upgrade to Haswell?

By on June 7, 2013, 6:30 PM
intel, cpu, haswell, weekend open forum

Intel’s fourth generation Core series processor is finally available for purchase. As Steven noted in his review of the Core i7-4770K, the level of performance from Ivy Bridge to Haswell is similar to what was observed when going from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. That’s not to say it isn’t faster all around – because it is – but don’t expect earth-shattering performance if you’re already running Ivy Bridge.

That said, however, the platform does offer compelling performance if you’re upgrading from a system that’s a few generations old or are coming from an AMD setup. But the problem for anyone coming from an Intel background is that you’ll need a new motherboard to run Haswell.

With this week’s open forum, we are curious to know if you have any plans to upgrade to Haswell. And if so, are you coming from an Intel or AMD platform? Let us know in the comments below!

1 person liked this | Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Generally wait a few generations so I'll need to upgrade mobo anyway. Might wait for 9 series boards though - SATA express and queued TRIM sound worthwhile.

No, I will not upgrade. My Q9650@3.8GHz is still serving me well!

ASUS P5Q Deluxe

8GB Dominator DDR2 1066

GTX 570

Kingston 120GB SSD x2

windmill007 said:

My i7-2600k sandy was a tock. Still waiting on the next tock. To me haswell is just a tick. Come on intel u can do better.

Hallo104 said:

Honestly, I have a computer from 2007. It has 125GB, 2GB or Ram and runs slow but serviceable. I am well at the limit of it's life cycle. I will buy a new laptop once Haswell is available. I just can't hold off any longer.

1 person liked this | jaec97 jaec97 said:

Only buy tock never tick!!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Likewise for me- although that depends on how fast the add-in components fare in evolution and price.

While I'm a serial upgrader of GPUs and storage, CPUs don't generally offer that much of a tangible reason to upgrade for me. The workloads just aren't that time critical. Overclocking fun and tweaking decrease even as UEFI BIOS options seem to multiply exponentially, and "must have" features are very few and far between in processor/chipset evolution.

Having said that, I don't think I'm the target audience for a Haswell upgrade (2600K @ 4.7 / Z77 / 16GB RAM), but I'm sure that an ADHD afflicted compulsive multitasker presently using a dual core might consider it manna from heaven.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Yes, I will upgrade to i7-4470K + GTX-780 soon, from my i7-860 + HD-5870 that I've had since late 2009, and which served me very well.

cappycappy53 cappycappy53 said:

Exactly

TheinsanegamerN TheinsanegamerN said:

On desktop....no. my 3570k is brand new, and will probably be in that computer for a good 6-8 years. my laptop, on the other hand? ill be getting an iris pro laptop the moment I can find one. the improvement over intel hd 4000 is ginormous.

hood6558 hood6558 said:

I've already scored higher than several overclocked i7-4770k systems in XTU benchmark standings, 20th in the world at the moment in the unlimited 4-core (no rules), and did it with my 3570K@4800/1.4v on H100 cooling. So I really have no reason to upgrade, except I want to anyway so I can see how far I can push the new hardware.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Really need an upgrade, 4GB DDR2, 1GB 460 and x2 555 BE @ 3.6Ghz (can't even have 4Ghz or unlock cores, shitty mobo). My Cosmos 2 is sitting there, need to start modding it before gear arrives just no idea what color scheme.

Anyway, no Haswell for me, maybe 4930k or 3930k when 4930k comes out but il hold of few months and see what else comes out. If the next tock is significant enough, might go for that.

I'll buy when the successor of LGA 2011 is available :D

Reiz3r said:

Dont think so,im happy with my old X6 1055t 3.5ghz...

I will not upgrade at this time. 2500k is doing just fine @4.4ghz, it can blaze through encodes fast enough and play all the newest games, so why bother? I think I'll upgrade when Maxwell hits and just do a whole new build.

JC713 JC713 said:

I am gonna build a Haswell based system in a few weeks. I will be upgrading from a i7-740QM to a desktop platform Core i5 4670K.

Nope. The good ol' Ivy i7 is doing just fine.

Maybe I'll upgrade in another generation or so. Maybe.

BlueDrake said:

No thanks. I'm happy with my X6 1100T, it's a welcome upgrade from my Athlon. Sure I might be a bit behind, but it's done way better than my dual-core. Need a GPU upgrade and I'm fine.

1 person liked this | misor misor said:

No, my old i3-530 with NVidia 9800gt and newer i5-3570k with no discrete video card are enough for my needs.

(I am looking though to buy NVidia gtx660 as suggested by @JC713.)

(I've been to the city 5x and only NVidia gtx650 is available.)

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

(I am looking though to buy NVidia gtx660 as suggested by @JC713.)

(I've been to the city 5x and only NVidia gtx650 is available.)

Get one when the 760 is released next week. That will drive down 600 series prices.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking not. I have a Bloomfield Intel i7-960 and it seems to be doing just fine with what I need it for. I thought Haswell was going to be some major leap, but it's just a bit of a jump over the last generation.

When I feel my machine moaning and groaning to accomplish what I need it to - I'll upgrade then.

EEatGDL said:

I'm expecting to upgrade to i5-4570, 2 GTX 650 Ti Boost in SLI (2 GTX 750?), and 16 GB of RAM by August 7th. I've been stuck with a Core 2 Duo @2.33 GHz, 9800 GT, and 4 GB of RAM for almost 5 years. I don't understand all that complain about Haswell OC when stock vs stock can even beat the i7-3960X; I mean, for same clock frequency and same instructions it can gain by a margin of 10% compared to IB... that's something huge these days!!!

I think the only ones with the right of criticizing here are other computer architects who have a notion of how a pain in the ass is to get those improvements and still mantain the whole legacy support (almost 1500 mnemonics in total in the instruction set by now); even Intel's "basic" Volume 1 architecture manual is a bitter pill to swallow and the instructions are not even detailed there (only mentioned) and is a huge manual; now finding optimizations that keep improving with the same compiled programs and same clock speeds, that's huge!

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

If a motherboard comes out that I really like, then maybe.

On desktop not worthy and laptop maybe but thats only if they can offer an ultrabook with a normal i7 bcuz that ultra low power processors are crap, their performance its really low....

mrcavooter mrcavooter said:

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I'm still waiting to upgrade from my i7 980. I'm bored with the incremental jumps right now from intel. I'm waiting on something great to consider. All other hardware as you stated above is upgraded more frequently.

Railman said:

Two very good reasons for not getting Haswell. First is the cost. I cannot justify the cost of all the equipment. Don't forget having to purchase Haswell compliant PSU. The motherboards will be sold at top prices so not much availabe under £100. Expensive memory need I go on?

The second reason is that the technology is new and has not been given real life testing. Wait a year or so to allow for issues to be fixed.

1 person liked this | Krimi Krimi said:

Not gonna bother .. I am running on a i7-3770k / 16GB RAM

1 person liked this | NoAuraClones NoAuraClones said:

It would be pretty silly to upgrade if you were already running Sandy or Ivy. Just because the base Ghz is a tad higher, isn't it really the turbo and/or what we've already overclocked to the more important factor? I know the new processor has new instruction sets which make it "faster" at the same mhz, but my 2600k does 4.7ghz on air; its definitely not a bottle neck in my system. My guess is, the 4770 isn't going to do much over 5Ghz anyhow. And is your price right, $660? wth, I got the 2600k for $290.

fyrfaktry fyrfaktry said:

What he said.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

No offence but you must be the only Cosmos 2 owner with a dual core processor and DDR2 RAM heh.

I was pretty sure I was going to upgrade to Haswell but honestly I can't see the point. After all these years my i7 920 still runs strong.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Just done a full new build with Z77 and a 3770K so it'll be awhile before I jump up again.

Even if the performance increase was greater over Ivy Bridge, it still wouldn't be worth the upgrade for me since the 3770K is enough of a powerhouse for my needs.

BMfan BMfan said:

If a motherboard comes out that I really like, then maybe.

I was thinking the same thing.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

All depends if someone releases a decent mini itx motherboard and case. Till them my 6850 C2D is working just fine.

1 person liked this | Nobina Nobina said:

If you already have a Core i7 CPU why would you waste so much money to get just a slightly better CPU? i7 is already lightning fast, you can play all your games, what could you want more? I have a laptop with i3 CPU and I'm really satisfied with it, I can play some less damanding games, no reason to upgrade.

jraymp jraymp said:

No.I'm Happy with my budget gaming TRINITY APU pair with 8gb of RAM and HD 6570.

I will wait for KAVERI to release then I'll upgrade to it.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If I need a new machine, then yes I will purchase Haswell or a future release. Until then I'm happy with Sandy Bridge chips that replaced LGA-775 (predating Core2) machines. It may be five years before I feel the need to go on a upgrade spree again. I hate to admit it but at this time, Microsoft may hold the largest key to my upgrade fever.

distantreality said:

How much in the electric bill would it save say 3770k vs 4770k if you run your pc 24/7....that would be the only thing that would make me buy one if there was an actual huge savings...but have a feeling it isn't

danhodge danhodge said:

With most games I play, my 2500K is still higher than the recommended specs. But my lack of a graphics card, and continued use of the evil Vista is killing me...

So no, I will put all other upgrades ahead of my processor

I will upgrade. I'm still using a Q9550 OC'd to 3.2 and it does everything I need it to and amazingly play BF3 at the highest settings with 2x AA @ 50~fps. Thats the only game I own to really chew up the hardware and it does fine. CiV has some slow down when zoomed out and thats about it.

I have a really decent setup and its old and very powerful, it really has surprised me how good it has been. Up until about 4 months ago I had a GTX 285 and it was doign just fine also. Now that I have my 680 im sure my Q9550 is the bottle neck. My Bday and Fathers Day is coming up so Im asking for $$$. Is it worth it to get the 4770k over the 4670k?

Oh hell yes my 4 year old MOBO is breaking down the sound doesn't work and one of the SATA III ports is now dead but the first thing to go was the video card its bean a down hill ride ever since

I am hoping that I can get six more months out of it just enough time to save up 7K for an extreme chip core I-7 4960X

p51d007 said:

My current box is starting to get a tad long in the tooth....

Yorkfield, core 2 quad Q8400, 8 gig ddr2

I might upgrade this fall, after the "new" starts to wear off a bit which will

help with the price.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

My I7-2600K still get's the job done. Much like the majority opinion here - I think I'll wait it out a bit longer.

Nah....

990X

12 GB Dominators

H100 cooler corsair

Evga 680's SLI

RAID 500GB Rapters

RAID Intel SSDs

CoolerMaster HAF-X

Gigabyte x58 U7

Corsair HX 1000 PSU

5x fan controller

Would you?

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'd love to build a new desktop, if just for the sake of building it, but I'm pretty happy with what I have currently.

Now, the two laptops under my name is pre-core architecture and an atom based netbook respectively. I'm well overdue for an upgrade and assuming I find one I like, a New Haswell Laptop preferably with the Iris 5100 (or Pro 5200, but that might be too large of a notebook to be comfortable) may very well be in my future.

No, 2600k/ati5850 do the job for me, waiting until they double its power at least if the want me to upgrade!

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Simple answer is No. Why, because my i7 960 still holds its 4.2GHz OC just fine and handles all my task without issue. When Intel releases a 6 core for under $300 or I can get a deal through retail edge for $100 (how I got my 960) but mainly the 6 core 12 thread for $300. Then I'd consider an upgrade, but until then I'm staying with what I have now.

Can you overclock with any model like way back in the day of core2 series, NOPE! Then no thank you.

cmbjive said:

I have a i7-3770K. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. The i7-4770K looks to be a slight upgrade from that.

EEatGDL said:

@Railman Part of your first argument is invalid: Haswell compliant PSU is required only to take advantage of the new low-power states; but you can safely use any of the existing as long as you don't change the default C6/C7 parameter.

And for the guest two comments above me: no C2Q OC can match the performance of an i7 Haswell, but yeah, for the people who love overclocking is understandable what they would expect in this.

Nope. My Athlon II X2 240 is still a great CPU. I really don't think those who have i7's and i5's use more than 30% of their power anyway.