A third of American adults now own tablets, study finds

By on June 10, 2013, 6:00 PM

A new report from Pew Research Center released earlier today revealed that a third of American adults now own a tablet, further validating the notion that the portable devices are eating away at market share once owned by traditional computers. For comparison, only 18 percent of adults reportedly owned a tablet a year ago while only three percent of respondents owned a tablet in 2010.

Unlike smartphones that have become the norm regardless of income, tablets still remain a toy for the upper-class according to Pew. Demographics released with the report show that those living in households that earn at least $75,000 per year are more likely to own a slate than those with lower income brackets.

What’s more, adults between the ages of 35 and 44 are more likely to own a tablet versus age brackets of younger and older Americans. Finally, Pew found that tablet ownership is higher among college graduates than those that don’t have a college degree.

The research group found no statistically significant differences in tablet ownership between men and women or between members of different racial or ethnic groups. What they did find, however, is that parents are also more likely than those without children to own a tablet. 50 percent of parents with minor children still living at home owned a tablet versus 27 percent without kids.

Do you own a tablet, and if so, do you fall into the above demographics for ownership?

2 people like this | psycros psycros said:

LOL!!! Who did they poll, people in an Apple store?? One out of three American adults owns a tablet? And most are middle aged?? I don't know who they think is gullible enough to buy this load of BS.

@psycros

but yet we are to believe you? hypocritical no?

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@psycros

but yet we are to believe you? hypocritical no?

But yet everything that was said was in the form of a question, so why would you think there was anything to believe?

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

I dont like using tablets. I prefer a keyboard and mouse. If anything, a Windows 8 hybrid is the best combo.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I never found a use for my Asus Android tablet which I eventually gave away. There's nothing it could do that my phone couldn't and it's far easier to carry.

Arris Arris said:

Much the same situation. Don't really see the need for a tablet. With a smartphone approaching 5inch in screen size, laptop and desktop computers and PS3 for media/streaming through TV I really have no use for a tablet.

misor misor said:

Moses had the first "10" tablets.

my first tablet is an archos 2.8" given away by a u.s. e-tailer. (a sibling working in the u.s. bought some computer parts from tigerdirect/bestbuy/newegg and the archos is the giveaway; I forgot which e-tailer it was; since the archos 28 is an entry level model, the battery is so lol and brokedown after ~1 year.)

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah. I like my iPad, but I find myself never using it. Web browsing is trash on it IMO.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

I've own 45 of them since 2010, this is what I do program in Android so that's why I had so many. Windows 8 Pro Tablet about 1x but still didn't see anyone ask me do do a poll. Except for CR = Consumer Reports. But they just wanted to know the brands and has the tablet giving any issues for repair.

Top tablet

I've own is 2x 10.1-inch Toshiba Thrives now running Android OS 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

Middle tablet

7-inch Coby Kyros MID 7042 running Android OS 4..0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich Plus PowerCode 885_1000 DCX ROM Upgrade

Low tablet

9.7-inch Skytex Skytab S970 running Windows 8 Pro

1 person liked this | avoidz avoidz said:

Like the article says, my tablet is a toy. An accessory. In addition to my much more useful desktop computer (laptop). It's handy for browsing on the crapper.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

No the tablet is not a toy. Can be use to monitor networks in home, business or out in the field. Tablet can be mounted in your truck, suv, car. Some older F-150 can mount it as a radio/navi replacement. Just some modifications and your set. Tablet can be removed also for security.

So no it not a toy!

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I don't have one either, but it is purely an economic reason. If I had a better paying job, it would be on a list of things I'd get that I want (but don't necessarily need), it probably wouldn't be real high, but it might break into the top 5.