Leaked Intel roadmap pegs Broadwell for 2H 2014

By on July 28, 2013, 3:30 PM

A leaked Intel roadmap has revealed the company's next line of processors, codenamed 'Broadwell', are scheduled for release in the second half of 2014. Broadwell is the 14 nm shrink of the current 'Haswell' fourth-generation Core processors, however according to this roadmap Intel will be focusing on mobile parts at the expense of desktop.

VR-Zone obtained the roadmap, which shows Intel's H (all-in-one), U (Ultrabook) and Y (tablet) chips receiving a refresh to Broadwell in 2H 2014. Regular M-series mobile parts will stay using the Haswell microarchitecture during the same period, and desktop parts will see a Haswell refresh (Haswell-E) but no Broadwell. Intel is also expected to launch Ivy Bridge-E processors in September of this year, with a number of new Haswell parts also seen on the roadmap.

Throughout both 2013 and 2014, Intel is expected to continue using the LGA 1150 for their desktop parts, with DDR4 support expected for their Haswell-E processors. Intel's upcoming U and Y series mobile chips will include SATA 6 Gbps and USB 3.0 support, according to VR-Zone.

If the roadmap does accurately reflect Intel's plans for the upcoming year, it shows how focused the processor giant is on the low-powered mobile market. With Broadwell shrinking the design process to 14 nm it should help Intel lower the TPD of their chips, although the increased pressure from ARM manufacturers will keep the battle for low-powered chips interesting. Of course Intel also has their Atom line for lower-end devices, with Silvermont-based Bay Trail-powered machines expected towards the end of this year.




User Comments: 14

Got something to say? Post a comment
1 person liked this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Love the red squiggly lines under Haswell. Has the word not been added to VR-Zone's (or Intel's) lexicon?

Guest said:

And this is AMD's fault for failing. Monopoly anyone? Now they can say screw the desktop market no competition there!

JC713 JC713 said:

I hope the 4771 is more than just a higher clocked variant. It is just gonna be another i7 2700k it seems...

Guest said:

The desktop market's done and dusted for Intel. With no catching up for AMD on the horizon, it makes sense that there's absolutely no need for a Broadwell release next year.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I hope the 4771 is more than just a higher clocked variant. It is just gonna be another i7 2700k it seems...

Probably but look on the brightside. If you own a new Haswell desktop processor, you don't have to worry about it being obsolete by lunch time yesterday thus saving you a costly upgrade. If you're into portable devices... I digress.

Guest said:

The dead in the water pc market do not need more "chips".

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If the last 2 generations are anything to go by then the process shrink will probably hurt overclocking even further.

Also hurry up with IB-E and Haswell-E already, I know Intel have no real motivation for releasing them given the state of the competition but the proper enthusiast platform is now 2 generations behind.

JC713 JC713 said:

If the last 2 generations are anything to go by then the process shrink will probably hurt overclocking even further.

Also hurry up with IB-E and Haswell-E already, I know Intel have no real motivation for releasing them given the state of the competition but the proper enthusiast platform is now 2 generations behind.

It has been 2 years since they released SB-E. Hopefully the late IB-E release will be followed by Haswell-E a few months later like the roadmaps have been saying.

They have to (doesnt mean they will) optimize the new CPUs for overclocking in order to give them the K tag.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I hope the 4771 is more than just a higher clocked variant. It is just gonna be another i7 2700k it seems...

[link] . The 4770 is 3.4G base/3.9G turbo, while the 4771 is 3.5G base/3.9G turbo (as with the 4770K).

This seems less exciting than finding out ECS is marketed as GANK in China. If there was any truth in advertising it would be YUCK judging by their liberal use of antiquated buzzwords adorning the boards ( "LEET Gaming" and "Qooltech V" ) :slap:

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

It has been 2 years since they released SB-E. Hopefully the late IB-E release will be followed by Haswell-E a few months later like the roadmaps have been saying.

They have to (doesnt mean they will) optimize the new CPUs for overclocking in order to give them the K tag.

Yeah im getting sick of waiting, and with the recent few chips that got into the hands for preliminary benches and stuff, its worrying that there wont be a 4930k possibly at launch since that chip was not handed out. I hope they still have one at that price point because that's the one I was considering getting.

Im not getting this whole roadmap, they are taking their time and even talking about Haswell-E but completely ignoring the one comping out soon Ivy Bridge-E and even talking about broadwell, I really hope this is not a fore-shadowing of bad things to come or something about ivy Bridge-E...

Guess only time will tell

JC713 JC713 said:

[link] . The 4770 is 3.4G base/3.9G turbo, while the 4771 is 3.5G base/3.9G turbo (as with the 4770K).

This seems less exciting than finding out ECS is marketed as GANK in China. If there was any truth in advertising it would be YUCK judging by their liberal use of antiquated buzzwords adorning the boards ( "LEET Gaming" and "Qooltech V" ) :slap:

Wow, how is that a "refresh"...

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah im getting sick of waiting, and with the recent few chips that got into the hands for preliminary benches and stuff, its worrying that there wont be a 4930k possibly at launch since that chip was not handed out. I hope they still have one at that price point because that's the one I was considering getting.

Im not getting this whole roadmap, they are taking their time and even talking about Haswell-E but completely ignoring the one comping out soon Ivy Bridge-E and even talking about broadwell, I really hope this is not a fore-shadowing of bad things to come or something about ivy Bridge-E...

Guess only time will tell

The i5 4670K wasnt handed out while the 4770K was. It will be released trust me. Not everyone has a $1000 just to spend on a CPU. The 3930K probably sold in much higher numbers than the 3960X.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

The i5 4670K wasnt handed out while the 4770K was. It will be released trust me. Not everyone has a $1000 just to spend on a CPU. The 3930K probably sold in much higher numbers than the 3960X.

True, but it worries me sometimes and I was kinda anxious to see how everything does this go round. It just worrys me at times when something is missing from a lineup or ignored. They have shown the 4820k and 4960X but not the 4930k which just got me all worried because if I'm grabbing that series, that would be my chip.

Plus the focus on Haswell-E and Broadwell even though there's been such limited talk about ivy bridge-e just gets me worried.

Guest said:

Amd is working on a 1 tera hz light computer along with IBM so soon they will have Intel on their toes again. Psss Nah I am just sayin.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.