LCDSysInfo for GOverlay: A $32 LCD gadget for PC enthusiasts and tinkerers

By on August 22, 2013, 1:09 AM

As a PC builder and gamer I find it fun and incredibly interesting to tinker around with my set-up, whether that’s buying a new graphics card to improve its speed, fiddling with the cooling to ensure everything can run smoothly, or overclocking to squeeze out some extra performance. I monitor many things, from the temperature of my CPU and its fan speed, to the frames per second and GPU load in games, just to see how capable my PC really is.

Traditionally I’d use a bunch of programs to monitor all these stats, including SpeedFan and Fraps, gathering info through pop-ups or windows on a second monitor. Then I was sent an LCDSysInfo – a small 2.8-inch LCD gadget that can be configured to show various stats – and monitoring my PC became significantly easier.

Read the complete review.

trgz said:

Free alternative - there is an Android App or two that can some of this (though I've yet to find one that can do my GPUs) try CoreTemp or PC Monitor

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I'm sure the built in screen on some of these Logitech keyboards can do the same thing. I'm just not sure if there are suitable apps available. Nevertheless it's an interesting product although niche.

misor misor said:

I think there are windows 7 (software) gadgets that do these things.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

This is cool. I would rather just use software though.

Xtreme gamer said:

A logitech G19 keyboard and Aida64 (monitoring software)is brilliant for this.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

They use to have this for routers and the panel tends to freeze-up.

1 person liked this | Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

This would be cool if it was made to fit into a case expansion bay.

I think I'll wait for the next iteration ... The one where you simply plug in the USB cable and it works immediately. :)

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The point is you can optimize the display the way you want. Plug-n-Play would take away that aspect.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It wouldn't be bad to have an initial setup that had a basic layout for the LCD, while accessing APIs already available for those that want it quick 'n dirty, while still being able to completely customize the layout and data acquisition.

It does have some pre-created elements, when you launch it the first time it loads a basic setup like what you see in the picture and you just have to pick what sensors to show and thats it.

Staff
Scorpus Scorpus said:

That is exactly what happens, although not all the elements immediately work, and you probably won't like the default layout

kuroiei kuroiei said:

Would gladly buy one! If not, I'm working on something similar, but the hardware end tends to be a problem.