Tom Clancy of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon fame dies at 66

By on October 2, 2013, 11:15 AM

Best-selling author Tom Clancy died late Tuesday in a Baltimore hospital. The former insurance salesman rose to fame in the mid-1980s with his first published novel, The Hunt for Red October, and later went on to co-found video game developer Red Storm Entertainment. He was 66.

Several of Clancy’s publications were adapted into video games but it’s his Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell games that are most well known. The original Rainbow Six, published for the PC in 1998, was one of the first (and some would argue, the best) tactical first-person shooters ever.

The game was later ported to several other platforms including Mac OS, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Dreamcast and Game Boy Color. The series spawned 18 different games with the most recent being 2013’s Patriots.

The Ghost Recon series launched in 2001 as a squad-based first- and third-person shooter. These games typically took place in larger outdoor environments compared to Rainbow Six games. At present, 13 titles have been released under the Ghost Recon banner.

The most recent of the three series is Splinter Cell: a third-person stealth-based franchise with seven games on the market thus far. The first game in the series debuted in 2002 with the most recent offering being Splinter Cell: Blacklist earlier this year.

Have you played any of the Tom Clancy games and if so, which are your favorite? My favorite would have to be the original Rainbow Six for the PC. Myself and a friend would play this online with others for hours at a time. This was before the days of easy voice chat so we would talk on the phone as we played to help each other out in versus play. Domination!

OneSpeed said:

Read all his books, except the co-authored ones. RIP.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

His influence in media over the last 30 years was incredible. Books, movies, games - all huge sellers and an influence on our society. Safe travels Mr. Clancy and thanks for all the great reads!

I've played all of Mr. Clancey's games, read his books and watched his movies. My favorites are the early Ghost Recon games, the Rainbow Six book, and the Splinter Cell games. He will be missed.

treeski treeski said:

Wow, that's awful.

hitech0101 said:

Didn't know these games were adaptations I have played ghost recon enjoyed it. R.I.P.

MilwaukeeMike said:

At least the 2nd great thriller author to die this year. Vince Flynn passed away in June. I hope George RR Martin is paying attention and finishes up his work quickly.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think I tried a demo of Splinter Cell, and picked it up for Xbox. But it wasn't fully to my liking. I prefer shooting aliens over humans. But I definitely knew of and respected Tom Clancy, and I'm saddened by the news. He was still young.

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Another sad day for the gaming community... rainbow six... splinter cell T_T

RIP

Chase_Daddy Chase_Daddy said:

When I was 10 years old I started playing Rainbow Six on the MSN Gaming Zone. By far one of the best first person shooter games ever developed... and fun as well