Grand Theft Auto 5 collects 7 Guinness World Records

By on October 9, 2013, 10:30 AM
ps3, gaming, xbox 360, gta, rockstar games, playstation 3, record, gta 5, grand theft auto v, guinness world records

Grand Theft Auto 5 has been by far the biggest game launch of the year, captivating Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers since its release last month. The launch was so huge for publisher Rockstar Games that it managed to collect seven Guinness World Records in various categories, including the best-selling video game in 24 hours.

Craig Glenday, Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, said that Grand Theft Auto 5 "deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture", also saying that they're "thrilled" to be able to feature the game in their record books. He goes on to say that gaming "is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won!"

The records the title managed to take out are as follows:

1. Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
  2. Best-selling video game in 24 hours
  3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
  4. Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
  5. Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
  6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
  7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game

While Grand Theft Auto 5 is the current fastest game to gross $1 billion, doing so in just three days, it will no doubt have to defend its record next month when Call of Duty: Ghosts launches. Traditionally Call of Duty games have flown off the shelves as gamers dig in to first-person shooting action, but it might not be able to match the sheer selling power of Rockstar's much-loved franchise this time around.

4 people like this | t3chn0vamp said:

I am pretty sure it will shatter some more records when it hits PC.

wastedkill said:

CoD always has a sheep following no matter what they release even if its just a blank disk people would still buy it.

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

I have to say, I only dislike the end of this article, other than that its great.

If people still buy Call of Duty after Infinity Ward has just clicked copy and paste 2 times in a row now, then theres something wrong here. Based off user reactions, to MW3, im hoping people will not buy this game until reviews showing if there was some actual effort put in surface.

2 people like this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The Thing is, CoD has some serious competition, Rockstar hasn't, you can argue some other games like saint's row is a competitor but it's not really same.

If CoD beats any of these records with their clever "A.I. Fish" I will be absolutely astounded...

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

I am pretty sure it will shatter some more records when it hits PC.

More than starcraft?

1 person liked this | IAMTHESTIG said:

The game looks awesome, but I'm rather disappointed in R*. Even pathetic EA can manage to release BF series on all three platforms. You'd think a big dog like R* would also be able to. I hope they have something solid around the corner because the game will lose its hype and reduce sales potential for a PC release. Hell they may have broken another record or two if they had managed a PC release with the console releases.

I love all the previous GTA games and Max Payne games, which all had PC releases so I don't see why this one wouldn't.

t3chn0vamp said:

I am pretty sure it will shatter some more records when it hits PC.

More than starcraft?

I am pretty sure it will shatter some more records when it hits PC.

More than starcraft?

Maybe as I have no idea about Starcraft's collection.

JC713 JC713 said:

I am pretty sure it will shatter some more records when it hits PC.

Indeed.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Call of Duty Ghosts will sell big, but not this big.

JC713 JC713 said:

Call of Duty Ghosts will sell big, but not this big.

Definitely.

I think if Battlefield 4 was delayed and refined more, it will easily be able to sell out CoD. I am not sure that BF4 at the stage it is now will outsell CoD.

Bubbajim Bubbajim said:

Surely the only way CoD has a chance of beating these records is because it's open to other platforms on Day 1? As people have said, if GTA was released on PC too, it would have done even better. Probably about 2 days for the $1 billion mark or something silly.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Maybe, but I know many people who used to be avid CoD players who say they refuse to buy this version of the game until after seeing some people talk about it because of how much of a jip MW3 was. I really hope rockstar keeps these records, they really deserve it because of how much work and care they put into each and every game.