Grand Theft Auto 5 has been by far the biggest game launch of the year, captivating Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers since its release last month. The launch was so huge for publisher Rockstar Games that it managed to collect seven Guinness World Records in various categories, including the best-selling video game in 24 hours.
Craig Glenday, Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, said that Grand Theft Auto 5 "deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture", also saying that they're "thrilled" to be able to feature the game in their record books. He goes on to say that gaming "is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won!"
The records the title managed to take out are as follows:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game
While Grand Theft Auto 5 is the current fastest game to gross $1 billion, doing so in just three days, it will no doubt have to defend its record next month when Call of Duty: Ghosts launches. Traditionally Call of Duty games have flown off the shelves as gamers dig in to first-person shooting action, but it might not be able to match the sheer selling power of Rockstar's much-loved franchise this time around.
Downloads and Drivers
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.