Samsung launches free Galaxy S4 battery replacement program

By on October 18, 2013, 7:30 AM

Samsung has launched a battery replacement program in the wake of continued battery issues with the Galaxy S4. In a statement on the matter, the Korean tech giant said they are aware of a battery issue that has affected a limited number of customers and will be rectifying the issue with free replacement power packs.

Recent reports have suggested some carriers are seeing a return rate of 30 percent due to various battery-related issues including fast-draining power and lithium-ion batteries that swell up and push against the back shell of the phone. It’s normal for a battery like the 2600mAh unit found in the S4 to degrade over time but the speed at which the batteries in question are breaking down is alarming.

Samsung is inviting all affected users to visit their nearest service center where they can receive a replacement battery free of charge. It’s unclear if users will be able to have a replacement battery shipped to them or if they must visit a service center for a replacement. Furthermore, we don’t know if the issue is limited to certain regions or variants of the S4.

The S4 launched in March and has helped Samsung retain the title of world’s largest smartphone maker.

At least one S4 user I spoke with personally said they are currently experiencing severe battery drain problems. Have you been having problems with the battery in your S4? If so, tell us about it in the comments section below.

Really, this is news to me. I have to say that I am not one of the people with affected phones. in fact for me, the s4 is the first phone that I cant find anything to complain about. previous owner of multiple htc phones, which seem to have decreased in quality, features, and being generally exciting in recent years.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I asked the salesman how the battery life was compared to my (at the time) iPhone 4s and he claimed it was much, much better. After using the Galaxy S4 for about 2 months now, I have to say that I am not impressed with the battery life at all. It may actually be worse than the iPhone 4s which is definitely saying something.

Panda218 Panda218 said:

I have not had a single complaint regarding the battery life on my S4. I primarily use it for listening to music and checking social media throughout the day and its usually around 15% when I go to bed. The iphone 4s that I have for work is about the same, but I don't touch it at all unless I get called. Which is quite odd to me since it's just idle all day. Ever since upgrading to iOS7 it has got worse too.

Glad to see Sammy is trying to help out!

veLa veLa said:

I must say I've seen my S4 battery life degrade at least a bit. I might take advantage of this.

Where is the link to take advantage of these repalcement?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Where is the link to take advantage of these repalcement?

This is only for the Guest. NOT for the people of Techspot. Some guests just need a little extra, ya know?

www.manties.net

Horrible experience of battery draining all of a sudden and the phone going dead in mid conversation. Never expected this from a brand claiming to be the best and offering the most advanced technology. Will never buy a samsung again.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Interesting... will have to keep an eye on it for other new samsung models too hey?

1 person liked this | Guest said:

My S4 - have had since May - had pretty good battery life until very recently where the rate of degradation has become incredible. With minimal use it isn't able to hold a charge for but 8 or 9 hours. I'll be visiting the dealer for the free replacement!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Definitely experiencing battery drain since acquiring the S4. Tried all of the suggested settings and still cannot get by a day without a dead battery, even when the phone is practically not used??

Camille Camille said:

I thought it was the most recent update.. but out of nowhere my battery is hardly holding a charge and draining super quickly. It also seems to be getting very very hot. :(

I've had my S4 for less than 2 months and just did the software update. Immediately after downloading the software update, not only has my battery life dropped significantly (50% in 3 hours with no use) but I have trouble obtaining my 4G signal.

Russ H Russ H said:

I've also noticed considerable battery drain in just the last few days. I attributed it to the recent software update, but perhaps it's something else. This battery replacement program sounds like there is really a hardware problem... perhaps a bad batch of batteries?

At least I know it's not just me. I just bought the S4 2 days ago and I charged it last night and between waking up and getting to work I am at 60%. This is unacceptable. I will be marching back to my retailer and demanding a new battery post-haste!

-Victoria

P.S. I love the phone otherwise!

Correction 53%

-Victoria

I have had my S4 for 6 months and loved it until the recent update, I have had horrible battery life. With minimal use it will be 20% before I get home from work. It gets very hot when charging , but I have not had the swelling as of yet. Verizon or Samsung have been NO help with the matter.

Oh and if you do not have a Samsung Service Center where you live you will have to send your current battery to them first then they will send you the replacement!! My cell phone carrier will not do anything to correct the problem either. So I am stuck buying a new battery.

I just spoke to someone on Samsung live chat. They are sending me out replacement battery. All they required was the battery serial number and a new battery is in the mail.

I'm having so much trouble with the battery issues! From out of the box I have nothing but headaches with this and turned off everything just to keep battery life throught the day! Not a day goes by that I'm out or near out of power! May go back to iphone!

husseyn said:

Hello guys

I bought a samsung s4 exactly 2months ago and it worked v well for 2weeks then I noticed rapid battery drainage from 100% to 40% in less than an hour.about a month after buying the phone,the battery started heating up and swelling up.right now am using the fone without the back cover because the battery is so swollen that the back cover can't fit.the battery no longer holds charge;it shortdown at 95%.Hardly works for 5mins.

I've checked everywhere for samsung service center in nigeria for replacement but,none.checked stores to buy a replacement,none.

I'm stock with my s4 with no battery.pls.......I need help!!!!!!

(post from nigeria)

With the recent android update my S4 suddenly start to use battery like crazy, heating up, etc..it drained literally in 2-3 hours with no use. I checked the battery consumption (settings - more - battery) and I noticed Samsung ChatOn app taking most of the resources. I unregistered all its services and since then it's "normal": phone needs to be charged in 1 day (used often) or 1.5 - 2 days when used less.

If you are having similar issues as above, first see what apps/processes are using the battery most.

I'm also experiencing the same exact symptoms. The phone was awesome up until I installed the most recent update.

bnyce21 bnyce21 said:

Ve had my s4 a month and in the first few weeks battery life was awesome. Now its awful. The only time its good Is wen its idle but wats the point of that. Verizon switched my battery yesterday and its no different. I don't think its a battery issue I think its some of the BS that comes pre loaded on from Samsung N android.

Received the S4 in Late August, It worked well until about mid October. It has been steadily getting worse.The problems began when using any program which utilise GPS. It then moved to using the camera, in particular the gallery. Jumping from link to link on a webpage, moving from one setting to another in Device settings, these have also resulted ion the same event. The unit will abruptly restart.

In many cases the restart will fail, only when the charger is connected will be unit restart sucessfully. I tried several steps to correct the problem ... removing SD Card, uninstalling all apps added since purchase, reseting back to factory defaults.

Many of the responses have spoken about battery life draining very quickly, I have not seen this. After the unit restarts, in many instances the battery is well about 50% available charge.

However, if the battery is asked to deliver power to power hungry services GPS, Camera or Galery, this is where it appears to fall over in my experience.

I purchased a Galaxy S4 mobile phone on 22 Aug 2013 through Flipkart.com. However for the past few days the phone started to get abnormally hot after continuous use. On examination of the battery, I noticed that it had swollen up. Hence I sent it to the nearest authorised samsung service centre for warranty replacement of the battery since the battery warranty was for 6 months from the date of purchase. The Service Centre rep however flatly refused to accept the battery and told me the the warranty was void as the battery had swollen up due to overcharging. I told him that it could also be due to a manufacturing defect since the battery swellng issue was an acknowledged problem in the Galaxy S4 with a host of complaints online about the same issue. There was also no issue of tampering of the battery which could make the warranty void. Yet to resolve the issue as I reported it on 1 Nov 13.

The same problem is occurring world wide. I bought this phone here in India about 2 months back on 14 Aug, and on 28th OCT it suddenly started draining very quickly. On check up with service centre they said "the battery has swollen and it is not covered under warranty." The worse they denied to replace it even under the warranty period saying that battery swells because of overcharging, user is responsible for swollen battery. The hell ... Samsung is sucking blood out of its customers... they are selling high price products calling it there flagships and that ship sinks within 2-3 months of usage.

I and thousands of customers of galaxy S4 like me want the battery replaced with a genuine battery... here in India too.

and please Samsung!!! stop making your customers fell like illiterate fools when they visit your call your after sell services.

emtking emtking said:

My GS4 battery life was fine until Samung pushed an update one day to I think Samsung Watch or something like that. It's the app where you can watch tv on your phone. I never used before, and don't plan to now. Since update, the little Samsung TV icon is always in the notification bar, but when I swipe down, can never find a notification from it. Can't remove it. Getting another MOTO.

This is what I got reply from them

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK1117901123626X

Phillip: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: Hi

Visitor: How are you today?

Visitor: I am having battery issues with samsung galaxy s4

Visitor: it takes 10 hours to charge and drains fast

Phillip: I am good.

Phillip: I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with the battery of the phone.

Phillip: I will try my best to assist you with this.

Phillip: May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SGH, SCH or SPH .

Visitor: one minute

Phillip: Sure.

Visitor: SGH-I337

Phillip: Thank you.

Phillip: Since how long are you experiencing this issue with the phone?

Visitor: Last one month

Phillip: Does the issue occurred after installing any third party applications on the phone?

Visitor: No, I checked everything and Disabled most of the features say 90%, like Samrt scroll

Visitor: etc

Phillip: Just to confirm, are you using the Genuine Samsung Battery and the Charger?

Visitor: Even I ket the brightness of my screen to 10% only

Visitor: yes

Visitor: This comes with Samsung pack which I got it from AT&T before 5 months

Visitor: This is the battery which intially comes with samsung galaxy s4 phone

Phillip: Does the same issue persists when connected to the PC for charging?

Visitor: When connected with PC its not charging at all

Visitor: It shows its charging, but charging indicator satys at the same percentage after hour also

Phillip: Does the same issue persists when connected to the different charger as well?

Visitor: Can you tell me any samsung service center near nashville, TN

Phillip: Our service center is only located at Plano, Texas.

Visitor: I used the charger which comes intially with Samsung pack, But its charging When its connected to Power otlet but it takes 10 hour to charge

Phillip: I would like to inform you that the issue could be with the phone or charger. In this regard, try to charge the device using the different charger and check if the issue persists.

Visitor: I started charging the phone at 3 AM in the morning now its 12.05 PM. it only charged 77%

Phillip: I do understand your concern.

Phillip: To isolate the issue, try charging the phone using the different charger and check if the issue persists.

Visitor: What is mean by different charger?

Phillip: Try using the alternate charger to check if the issue is with the phone or charger.

Phillip: Do you have any alternate charger?

Visitor: No

Phillip: Alright.

Phillip: Lets try to hard reboot the phone and then connect the phone to the charger and check if the issue persists.

Visitor: I done almost five times from 3am

Hi im from the Caribbean and I bought the S4 online. I've always been wondering if my battery is defective because the thing just wont keep charge. I mean I would have to charge at lease twice (sometimes 3x) daily. I would leave it on lets say 50% when going to bed . And would wake up with it at 8% or so, RED. and desperate need of charging. Is there any way I can get it replaced online. I dont have any samsung stores near me . Or I guess I have to wait till I visit the US.

Battery life is terrible and the charges keep burning out. 4 car chargers and the OEM unit, the only one that works is my Ipad charger. Samsung should get normal people to design the soft ware for them

Since the recent upgrade to the Gal S4, it often (not every time) will not charge on the charger until I reboot the phone. Is anyone else having this problem.

Was very impressed with battery life on the S4. I've had it since August but all the sudden about 3 weeks ago battery life got cut by about 40%. It used to last all day and still have some juice left. Now I have to charge it during the day. This all started about a week after I did the software update. The phone would get very hot and the battery would visibly drain in front of my eyes. I went to Verizon and got a new battery and it's a little better but still noticeably not to par. I tried a factory reset as well to no avail. I'm tired of phones that don't have battery life. Why was it fine in the beginning and not now. Why can't stuff just work like it's supposed to?

Battery on S4 has suddenly started draining as in 1% every 2 minutes. Vodafone are out of stock so it is a problem. Replacement soon under warranty. Doesn't mean it's a bad phone just a bad battery.

Hi there, I also having the same issue living in ksa. is this battery replacement program also works here? thanx

Bought Galaxy S4 2 months ago in September. The battery life was OK till last week when all of a sudden the phone started shutting down only after 2-3 minutes of any app usage. It won't restart unless connected to a charger. The battery would drain from 100% to 0 in 4-5 mins. The battery also looks a bit swollen. Talked to the nearest service center guy and he refused the replace saying the battery has swollen because of overcharging and hence not covered under warranty.

The same problem am also facing in the s4 for the past few weeks ..after the 4.3 update..if connected to internet and use and app / browse for 3 - 4 minutes..the phone is dead..Samsung is disgusting..

That's disgusting.. Spending so much to get one of the best phone and facinf battery issue..

never expected this from SAMSUNG.. Battery drains fast and also swelling up...

Does Samsung offering free replacement of bettery in India?

I have had an S4 since June and the battery life has been awful since getting it. Tried to talk to a Samsung agent tonight and literally, this is what she said when I asked about the replacement program: "Katrina: I am sorry to inform you that there is no replacement of batteries on the US models as of now." I can't believe how awful their (and Verizon's) customer support has been related to this issue. Clearly something is wrong and it's disappointing they won't address it.

Hi

I recenly moved to smartphone technology

I am very disappointed with the S4 as I have had continuous failure on my battery

Even when full it suddenly fails and I have no service

The cell doesn't even switch off

This is a shocking and extremely poor display of your products !!

On this basis I will review whether I purchase samsung again - already have a 40" LCD TV and digital camera

I have lost trust in your products as a result and can't recommend it until you IMPROVE !!

This problem needs urgent attention

Most upsetting is when I spend hours downloading your latest software/firmware and I need to start over as the phone fails

This has happened several times and I only had my S4 for 3 months

Thanks

A J Joffe

Disappointed consumer

Samsung customer service UTTER CRAP... Called Samsung customer service regarding the Swollen / faulty battery problem (which a worryingly increasing number of S4 numbers are experiencing) who gave me two options. One, send my phone in for 14 days, which is ridiculous considering it should only take less then 50's seconds to swap the battery. I could even do this myself at home (they wouldn't send me a battery??) Or two, visit my nearest service centre where they could swap it for me. I took the latter option, when I arrived (mid afternoon-ish) they promptly told me "The only person with the necessary skills to replace the battery had left for the day", I retorted - "I could train all the members of staff in the shop to change the battery in a s4, by simply pulling the back cover off and inserting the new battery" and also I would be kind enough not to charge them..

But NO and I still have a swollen battery which makes the S4 the most expensive paper weight I've ever known.

In light of their poor customer relations and service, I'll be thinking twice before purchasing Samsung products again.

Well actuelly yeah I am affected I just charged it and I am texting suddenly the battery is 0 I think I am switching to iphone atleast that doesnt happen

I had a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4 (GTI9500) battery (Swelling, Drain & Heating) and unable to switch on the phone and use it as it used to switch off and reboot and heat up. So I visited Samsung Service Centre in Ahmedabad, (Premium Services) on 29 November 2013.

The customer care representative offered to replace my battery as its serial number was in the list of defective manufacturing list. They promised to replace my battery within 2 days as they had to order it. (God knows from where!)

I've been continuously following up until today, 04 December 2013 and have not received my battery replacement yet. The customer care centre executive said they are helpless. It is ridiculous that Samsung does not have adequate stock for replacements and cannot replace a faulty battery at the counter!

As a customer I have suffered a great loss at work as I do not have a spare phone and it's been FIVE Days without a phone.

It's distressing that after investing whooping INR40,000/- in a Samsung mobile, I get this kind of service from Samsung!! It was my first Samsung phone and I now extremely regret the after sale services and product defects! Wish I would have opted for an apple iphone instead.

mudbone said:

I got my S4 the very first day it was available on At&t. I love this phone and have had no problems with the battery. I had a Motorola Atrix before this phone and the battery on the S4 last at least 20% to 40% longer. However I am in the habit of pressing the home button and killing my running apps. I also turn off the screen when not in use. This phone puts any iPhone to shame...sorry Apple buffs. I do believe that there may have been a bad batch of batteries released to the public but that happens in the real world. At least the battery can be replaced easily. Can't say that for an iPhone.

Hi from Cape Town,SA

I got my phone in May 2013. also worked well initially then noticed phone restarting. then battery died but upon charging showed 53%! Spoke to the dealer who is totally unaware that that there is a problem intimating it is something I'm doing.

I was busy chatting to my 17yr old who is abroad and battery dies. went to another dealer to briefly charge- very helpful - who opened the phone and found battery swollen. went back to my dealer who now says I must pay for the battery which I flatly refuse to do. will print the above article and take it to them as they are to lazy to follow up even after I mentioned the recall of batteries!

Chris van Wyk Chris van Wyk said:

Hi, I got my Samsung Galaxy S4 from MTN Kathu on September 27, 2013. About two weeks ago I realized the exact same symptoms as described in some of the previous comments. Overheating, swollen battery, phone switch off when still having more than 70% charge and sometimes only starting up when connected to it's charger with 0% charge left on those occasions. Went to MTN Kathu on Saturday to ask for help and the lady there reckoned the phone should be sent to a repair centre and I would be liable for the costs involved. Nothing wrong with the phone though. She also could not sell me another battery as they did not have any in stock.

When I first got my galaxy s4, the battery life was incredible. Unfortunately last month or so the battery is losing one percent per minute while I'm using it. I don't get through my whole day at school and I can tell you I am not on it 24/7. It is 100% charged in the morning and only 85% when I get to school only 1 hour after I wake up and I only use it for ten minutes after I wake up, I really hope the new battery I will hopefully receive will make my experience with my product back to normal.

Battery of my S4 leaked just after three months of purchase. It also corrupted the software and the service center people can't seem to fix it.

Samsung is a BS brand. I hate it.

My battery life is ridiculously bad. I would say that I'm losing 1% per minute with nothing open. Going to head to Verizon store to see what they can do with replacement battery. I had Iphones before this and will say mostly disappointed with the phone.

Got my G-S4 in July 2013. Just started experiencing extreme battery drain yesterday. Media, Android System & OS, and Google Services are the top battery users. Went from 100% to 24% in 5 hours. Not playing games, video, music... Also says the SD card "unexpectedly unmounted."

Worst phone and battery I have ever seen and used!

Mine was fine for 3/4 months. then all of a sudden it would go into a restart cycle, until I put it on charge. the battery shows different percentages when it does this. I've seen as high as 90% and as low as 40%. It will claim to be fully charged in less than an hour.

The battery has also swelled about 10-20%. the phone no longer slits flat on a surface (even with battery out). I intend to push for a handset replacement as well as the battery because the phone has warped slightly. and the constant restarting suggests a deeper issue.

Hope this helps.