Best Tablets of 2013: Putting them together, spec-by-spec

By on October 23, 2013, 12:34 AM

The tablet market doesn’t look very different than it did a year ago from the perspective of who’s doing well and who’s not. As we move closer to the end of the year everyone’s moving to refresh their lineups in preparation for the lucrative holiday season. To summarize: Apple just announced a new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display, Microsoft pushed out the second generation Surfaces, Amazon hedged its bets on high-end hardware and real-time support for the Kindle Fire refresh, Samsung did its own thing with numerous Android devices at different price points and sizes, and Google is set to refresh the Nexus line later this month.

Read the complete article.

What about LG G Pad 8.3?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Agreed, it's not clear why this subset was chosen. What makes the Iconia W4 better than the Venue 8 Pro?

Neojt said:

I got my gf a Asus Memo Pad FHD 10. It's cheap and it's amazing. Real good battery life, very fluid, and in my personal opinion Asus' touchscreen is the most fun to use.

1 person liked this | Arris Arris said:

If I had to buy one I'd probably go for Nexus 10 revamp or the current one if it gets a price cut.

misor misor said:

How about Toshiba excite write tablet?

[link] at $599.99

littldough littldough said:

The iPad Mini Retina starts at $399, not $329. It's $170 more expensive than the Nexus 7.

Adorerai said:

There is no such thing as a $329 iPad Mini Reitina.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

@ET3D Small Windows 8.1 tablets all share more or less the same specs. Until they hit the market and reviews are out it's hard to tell which one is best. However, at least on paper the Iconia W4 has a slight edge over the Venue with a micro HDMI port and higher MP front camera.

@littldough @Adorerai Thanks for pointing that out. We updated the table from our last comparison and left the previous iPad mini pricing untouched. Starting price has been changed to $399 now.

What about Galaxy Note 8"? It's the best mid sized tablet, I think...

JC713 JC713 said:

The Nexus seriously needs a upgrade. It is falling behind and getting dated. The Lumia would be a great tablet if it wasnt just LTE and RT didnt suck.

rub900 said:

Hey an Apple fan boy. what a surprise. Apple needs to stop selling overpriced crap.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Why is there no mention that the Nexus 7 is the only one in this list with standalone GPS and may be the only one with NFC, both great features that I use often.

DKRON said:

What was Acer thinking of getting into that market, 324, 323, 339, 323, and then Acer at 186PPI, wow just wow.

tonylukac said:

What about some of the low end android tablets? They can be had for $60. And the manufacturers thought netbooks were bad.

DKRON said:

Netbooks were horrid for the first couple of generations though.

distantreality said:

I will be getting the Amazon Kindle HDX 8.9 I have a kindle fire hd 7" and a nexus 7 FHD 2013 version...I just love the prime from amazon..and with the kindle you can get lots of free books and the free app a day is great also probably will get the 64gig version with just wifi my cell has hotspot so easy enough to connect to it on the go if I have to and I have unlimited data with verizon since my plan is before the stupid limits on data...I have the HTC thunderbolt I am so trying to hold out for atleast a 7" phablet hopefully from amazon getting harder and harder though so hurry up lol hint hint

mizkitty said:

No Sony tablet?

And why isn't the iPad Mini's 512mb of RAM listed?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thanks for the reply. For me the Venue has an edge because of the active stylus (and frankly I think that at least in theory Miracast is a better solution than hooking an HDMI cable to a tablet). To each his own, I guess, but I feel that when posting this kind of article it's worth at least noting alternatives, especially when they're very similar.