New bypass trick makes Windows 11 installation on unsupported systems a breeze

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In context: The Windows IoT Enterprise OS family comprises the Windows editions Microsoft sells to companies for "small-footprint" PCs, point-of-sale devices, and other embedded appliances. Previously known as Windows Embedded, Windows IoT editions are straightforward to install, even with hardware components Microsoft doesn't officially support.

A recently discovered "trick" for bypassing the Windows 11 system requirement check during the OS installation is much more potent than initially thought. The same bypass method works for Windows IoT, which is just your regular Windows experience with the option to take up less storage space on smaller devices.

Discovered earlier this month, the trick employs a one-click method to avoid going through the system requirements checks during Windows 11 installation. Users just need to choose the Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC edition, which is a specialized version of the OS designed for specific hardware, and the installation phase will completely skip the hardware compatibility check.

The Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) edition of Windows Server comes with a new major version upgrade released every 2 to 3 years. Users are entitled to five years of mainstream support plus five more years of extended support. Microsoft says that Windows Server LTSC provides a "long servicing option" and consistency.

The same user who shared the bypass trick for LTSC editions confirms that it also works for non-LTSC Windows, starting with version 24H2.

Bob Pony tweeted that the secret behind the method is choosing the "IoT Enterprise" option during Windows 11 installation. The IoT edition is identical to regular Windows versions, except users can modify it for compact hardware with smaller storage limits.

Microsoft designed Windows LTSC for companies and organizations that want to avoid installing frequent Windows updates or try newer features in their unfinished state. Windows IoT gets the same experience as regular Windows consumer editions, and it can now be installed on older systems as well, thanks to the recently uncovered one-click bypass method.

As many PC users know, Windows 11 arrived with steep hardware requirements, making the upgrade option from Windows 10 unavailable to many systems. Resourceful users soon found that Microsoft left many "alternative" methods to bypass the system requirement check, allowing them to install the OS anyway. However, the company is seemingly willing to go as far as making the newest versions of Windows 11 simply unable to run on older CPUs, lacking support for x86 instructions.

Permalink to story:

People are jumping through obstacles just to install a shitty version of Windows.
Not all customers are willing to dump $1000+ to replace a perfectly fine Skylake system, or haswell, or even sandy bridge, but have software or external devices that NEED windows to function. With 10 going out of support in a year, few are willing to pay for a service call with a 1 year expiration date.

Not all customers are willing to dump $1000+ to replace a perfectly fine Skylake system, or haswell, or even sandy bridge, but have software or external devices that NEED windows to function. With 10 going out of support in a year, few are willing to pay for a service call with a 1 year expiration date.
Didn't 10 have a rocky start and people didn't start using it until like a year after the released it. They started actually doing what people asked but then literally giving it away for free. Like, if you had a pirated copy of windows you could "upgrade" to windows 10 and they'd replace your pirated copy with a legitimate copy

People are jumping through obstacles just to install a shitty version of Windows.

Alas their deliberately ending Win 10 support next year and most will be forced to switch to by then Win 12. I'll bet by then this trick won't work as there will be a strict NPU check that cannot be bypassed as AI crap will be infested so deeply into the OS it will not function without one.

"However, the company is seemingly willing to go as far as making the newest versions of Windows 11 simply unable to run on older CPUs, lacking support for x86 instructions."

Poorly worded. 'Oh, older CPU's didn't support x86 instructions?' No, they are blocking CPU's that don't support NEWER instructions sets ADDED to x86 cpus, such as SSE4.2.

If you're still running your PC on a 2008 Nehalem CPU, you have much bigger problems to worry about than Windows 11 compatibility.

For sure, if my i5-2500k didn't die 3 months ago (7800X3D is wonderful replacement btw), I would have still used it daily. It worked fine, all games ran with 60 fps, movies were smooth and I had many apps open at the same time. Yeah, it had issues with many new games, mostly stuttering every now and then... but even then, there were solutions to the issues. It would have been a perfect secondary PC, if it didn't died that is. Shame MS is acting like this. Old doesn't mean bad or slow. Also, my new laptop from 2018 (well, I guess it's old now?) works perfectly fine, and It's very fast. I play games daily on it. Guess what, it can't be upgrade to W11 either. So it ain't all about PC's from pre-2012. Even much newer things have this issue too. I mean, W11 is a thing for what? 1-2 years now? 3? 2018 wasn't that far off when Windows 11 came out. Imagine buying a 7800X3D today, and in 3/4 years, MS is like... nope. No Windows 12 for you!

For sure, if my i5-2500k didn't die 3 months ago (7800X3D is wonderful replacement btw), I would have still used it daily. It worked fine, all games ran with 60 fps, movies were smooth and I had many apps open at the same time. Yeah, it had issues with many new games, mostly stuttering every now and then... but even then, there were solutions to the issues. It would have been a perfect secondary PC, if it didn't died that is. Shame MS is acting like this. Old doesn't mean bad or slow. Also, my new laptop from 2018 (well, I guess it's old now?) works perfectly fine, and It's very fast. I play games daily on it. Guess what, it can't be upgrade to W11 either. So it ain't all about PC's from pre-2012. Even much newer things have this issue too. I mean, W11 is a thing for what? 1-2 years now? 3? 2018 wasn't that far off when Windows 11 came out. Imagine buying a 7800X3D today, and in 3/4 years, MS is like... nope. No Windows 12 for you!
For many customers, they're doing just basic work. Office work, quickbooks, tax forms. Maybe running an app for an old piece of hardware. They dont need a lot of power.

It makes no sense why they shut out skylake, but only sometimes. Just goes to show that MS is being greedy. 11 runs fine on decade+ old hardware. They just want more sales.

How green of them. They sure love the environment!
Finally the voice of sanity, Windows 10 sucked!!
Everything horrible about 10, the forced updates, the ads, the telemetry, the garbage UI, is worse in 11.

Ok. So... How is it different than the regular Home/Pro desktop versions, for an Office + games user? I'd guess it's no different really.
This could be a good article

Windows 11 is decent enough, but what really bugs me is that it is not designed to prioritize the user over background tasks and or processes. When I want to perform an action, I very often have to wait for something else to finish before my input is acknowledged by the system. Apps stealing focus during boot, USB sticks being unresponsive because the system has to check it beforehand etc, and this is a major drawback for me as it hampers my experience a lot. And it has been so for a loooooong time now, well, no, it has been so for as long as Windows has existed...
Other than that, it has made a lot of progress since windows 98, which you had to restart a zillion times a day just to clear memory leaks and such!
Of course, Linux is good, but it remains less usable for the average user, although installation is now a breeze compared to version 20 years back. That said, it is free and open source and is not full of spying tricks like Windows, another huge drawback of Microsoft's system.
Now, most of the time, I boot my system in the morning and never restart until I power it down, and without any error or crashes, even after using a dozen different softs, and that is a *real* progress.
The real shame is that the limitation is purely arbitrary. My old 3770K has a TPM 2.0 module installed, but will not be recognized by Windows 11 just because MS decided so. It runs Windows 11 just fine anyway, as does my old Asus laptop, equipped with and "old" Haswell CPU. My son plays on the 3770K with a GTX 1070 just fine, of course dialing the graphics down, but it is perfectly functional.

Didn't 10 have a rocky start and people didn't start using it until like a year after the released it. They started actually doing what people asked but then literally giving it away for free. Like, if you had a pirated copy of windows you could "upgrade" to windows 10 and they'd replace your pirated copy with a legitimate copy

MS doesn't make any money from their OS. It's a platform to sell their services, like Office 365. Also, they're terrified of Android, which is the most popular OS in the world, so they're always gonna keep it free. Google has repeatedly inferred it'd make a PC friendly version of Android, but never followed through for Desktop PCs because Android is so popular...the Desktop PC is not exactly a profitable form factor anymore. Other form factors have much more room for growth; Smartphones, Chromebooks, tablets, IoTs, cars, Smart watches Smart glasses...the list goes on.

MS doesn't make any money from their OS. It's a platform to sell their services, like Office 365. Also, they're terrified of Android, which is the most popular OS in the world, so they're always gonna keep it free. Google has repeatedly inferred it'd make a PC friendly version of Android, but never followed through for Desktop PCs because Android is so popular...the Desktop PC is not exactly a profitable form factor anymore. Other form factors have much more room for growth; Smartphones, Chromebooks, tablets, IoTs, cars, Smart watches Smart glasses...the list goes on.
ChromeOS isn't terrible, we use the chrome books at work as basically email machines and PDF viewers. I don't see MS as an OS company anymore, they are more venture capitalists than anything. But I'm done with MS and their platform, been using Linux at home for nearly 5 years now. People aren't paying for windows anymore and they're treating like a free service where there are ads and they can track you. I see my PC as a "home" that only the people I allow to come in, can. I see MS as turning Windows into Android. It's an OS that is designed to sell services, subscriptions and collect user data.

Bookmarking for future reference. My Core i5-6600K may be 9 years old, but it plays every game I own and is overkill for 90% of my PC usage. There are no upcoming must-have games on my radar that it can't handle. No operating system is ever going to be a killer app that causes me to upgrade my working hardware. I'm getting the nag screens about Windows 10, the "last version of Windows ever," losing support next year, so unless my CPU or motherboard fails I will likely be applying some sort of workaround to install whatever Windows version is out by then.

Back