Bungie's Destiny to hit PC? Definitely not, at least for now

By on November 5, 2013, 2:00 PM
bungie, gaming, pc gaming, destiny

PC gamers, prepare to be upset: A new and highly anticipated franchise developed by none other than Bungie won't be hitting store shelves for you, at least not anytime soon.

Anyone who played the Halo series prior to the release of Halo 4 can tell you exactly how important Bungie was (and still is) to gamers. The powerhouse developer was responsible for some of the best moments in gaming history, receiving many awards for its popular Halo games and generating a lot of revenue for Microsoft's Xbox and Xbox 360 consoles. I'll be honest in saying (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) that I purchased an Xbox 360 just to play Halo. But after so many years of dedicated Microsoft-based service, the developer decided to move away from its Xbox exclusive arrangement and push on toward bigger and better things.

The veteran developer surprised everyone at this year's E3 with a sneak peek at their new franchise, dubbed Destiny. The game can be described as a mixture of Borderlands and an MMO, laced with beautiful artistry and imaginative landscapes. There are already a ton of videos, developer diaries, and screenshots floating around the web that can give you a glimpse at what Destiny is all about.

One of the biggest changes for Bungie isn't the fact that they are producing a new franchise, but rather, the fact that they have finally broken free of their prison of exclusivity. Destiny will be the first Bungie game to be featured on multiple platforms. I don't know about you, but whenever I hear the words "mutiple platforms," I automatically assume that PC is included. However, for Destiny, this is not the case.

The game's senior writer Eric Osborne said the following to IGN,

"We know there are a lot of people out there asking for PC and we know that there are a lot of gamers that would willingly give us money, but what we have to do is make sure we're focused enough to bring a good experience to any platform that we ship on. What we 100 percent are not going to do is spread ourselves so thin that it negatively harms the other platforms. So right now we have the four platforms, which is a lot to focus on."

So that's a definite "no" for the time being. Hopefully Bungie will change its tune in the future. And just for the record, the four platforms that Osborne mentioned include the two "current generation" systems, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

What do all of you PC gamers out there think? Are you upset by this news, and more importantly, are you going to go out and buy a console just to play this game?

ikesmasher said:

I already have a console. But im NOT going to get a PS4 or xbox 1, because this is the only game I look foward to playing thats coming out after these consoles...sticking to my 360 for now. But mostly my PC.

techf1end said:

Im pretty upset about this! come on Bungie forget xbox 360 and ps3 and get to PC lol

1 person liked this | Timonius Timonius said:

It's not like they cared for PC gamers in the last decade...

1 person liked this | techf1end said:

It's not like they cared for PC gamers in the last decade...

true, but im hope they have a change of heart.

Adam Randall Adam Randall said:

To be honest the amount of AAA titles ignoring the PC gamer is growing by the day. I am a hardcore gamer at heart, but the majority of the games I am interested in are console only. In the event that they are released on PC its usually 6 months to a year after the console release. I really feel like indie games and MMO's will be the only games available on PC in the future.

Adam Randall Adam Randall said:

Also this is a little off topic but whats with Bungie ripping off Star Wars and Mass Effect this game isn't exactly oozing with originality...

treeski treeski said:

I don't know, the trailer reminds me a lot of Halo (which makes sense). I definitely see some Mass Effect influence in it, though.

Adam Randall Adam Randall said:

Yeah I may have flown off the handle a little bit, but the classes and powers and tone are very "Mass Effect"

MilwaukeeMike said:

That 'prison' came with a big fat check that no doubt helped them hire and keep the designers and developers that make them as big as they are today. Considering the success of Halo, I don't see how Bungie using Microsoft's money in return for exclusivity resulted in anything but a win-win for them both. MS got great games for the Xbox, Bungie got the money to grow, and they both (probably) made money in the process.

Anyway... I wish I knew more about game development. Clearly the PC must be quite different and require significant redesign. GTA V skipped over the PC too. We're used to hearing 'The PC Market is dying... except for gaming.' Well, maybe it'll die for gaming too.

Adam Randall Adam Randall said:

I truly believe GTA V will come to PC at some point, but developers are seeing more dollar signs in the console market. You have MMO's and RTS titles like League of Legends or Star Craft that still aren't available on console. The day the MMO becomes successful on console is the day the PC gaming market goes 6 ft under.

Russ Boswell said:

No doubt that Bungie definitely got a massive payout for their work with Microsoft. And one really has to question why Bungie would just cut ties in a situation that is a definite win for them.

I suppose they feel that they can make more money porting to multiple machines. But in a world where they want to maximize their profits like that you would assume that they would want to port to PC as well. I know it costs extra resources, but surely a company like Bungie, as you said, has the necessary funds to do so.

I always wondered why Rockstar didn't pull the necessary resources to port GTA V immediately to PC as well. There is such a massive following there, specifically with amateur designers that crank out all the fun modifications we see that you can only get on PC versions of the GTA saga.

Ohhhh So much power for nothing, PC gamers..... Piracy is having the last laugh

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"We know there are a lot of people out there asking for PC and we know that there are a lot of gamers that would willingly give us money, but what we have to do is make sure we're focused enough to bring a good experience to any platform that we ship on."

I'm not willing to give you any money actually, because of what follows.

"What we 100 percent are not going to do is spread ourselves so thin that it negatively harms the other platforms. So right now we have the four platforms, which is a lot to focus on."

So spread yourselves across the PS3, Xbox 360, PS4 and Xbox 1, the latter two have PC hardware in them more then ever. Wouldn't it have been a better decisions to drop the PS3, it is by far the hardest to develop for, and make it for PC because again, the Xbox 1 uses a modified windows kernel for fucks sake. Hence I'm calling BS and this has to be a profit before customer type of situation. But hey, we all know the PC market is dead in 5 years, and consoles will live on. I wouldn't be surprised if this generation of consoles has full mouse and keyboard support just to take away the RTS and MMO market from the PC. I still see the game making it to PC in the usual 6-12 month delayed timed period because they have to "polish" the game for the platform, that way Bungie can make some cash to develop DLC for the consoles. And I still won't willingly give up any money for it.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm not willing to give you any money actually, because of what follows.

Would intel/nvidia/amd let PC gaming die? Wouldn't that severely reduce their profits?

Tanstar said:

Had both an xbox and now my PS3 leave me unable to finish an Elder Scrolls game (Morrowind and Skyrim respectively) so I'm done with consoles. I can fix, upgrade, or replace anything on my computer, so it's a safer place for massive time games like the Elder Scrolls. I bought a stand alone bluray player with WiFi last week to cement the end of the console at my home. No PC version? No money from me!

Tanstar said:

Ohhhh So much power for nothing, PC gamers..... Piracy is having the last laugh

You don't think console games are pirated? What rock do you live under?

lchu12 lchu12 said:

Eh, you know with news like these, they'll probably do a horrible console port to PC after they are done with the console gamers.

JC713 JC713 said:

Keep it... we dont want it xD.

I find the cape guy with the pistol looking a lot like the snipers from killzone 2 :P

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

There is absolutely no way I'd ever buy a console. If it doesn't come to PC, tough. I'm not gonna die without it.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

GTA didn't make all that money on release day etc because people pirated the game. Imagine how many would have torrented GTA as the multiplayer component wasn't live. It would likely have been used as an excuse by many.

And generally a modified console is required to run pirated console game as opposed to a copy of utorrent on PC. It takes a bit more effort. It's a shame but consoles are likely to stick around for years cos their simple but also cos they are the best avenue for devs to make profit.

But isn't the PS4 and Xbone one essentially just a PC in a shiny box running x86 processors and gpu chipsets found in current PC Graphics cards? they even demo the xbox one games on dev PC's at E3 so it can't be that hard to make a stand alone PC version.

An anonymous comment means nothing, and I'm by no means an "expert". But I've been seeing Game Industry trends for a long time to see where this is going.

To me, Bungie is just "playing tough". Much like Ubisoft did at the start before the petition which made PC players advertise their game for free basically and save them a whole bunch of money.

It's of Bungie's best interest to release the game on PC at some point, it will likely be later of course. While Bungie is a renowned console studio, they are not all that well recognized on PC since they barely released anything outside consoles and Halo2.. well... it was released in the state we all know. So the way I see it is, Bungie would win nothing by announcing Destiny on PC right now, it would only be doing what any other studio would do. HOWEVER, if they were to tease players a bit, then paint a grim scenario, when they finally decide to announce the possibility of a port at a later date, rather than complaining about the game being a port, players will praise them to the heavens.

To me this is all a PR maneuver, much like Ubisoft's.

Also on the comment of: "To be honest the amount of AAA titles ignoring the PC gamer is growing by the day."

Where have you been the past 12 months?

There have never been as many games announced for PC in game and tech events as there was this year!

Just at this year's E3, there were AT LEAST 57 titles announced for PC, and this is without counting indie games!

So really, I don't know where you're taking those conclusions from. If anything PC gaming has never seen as many games as it sees today.

Mooseinadesert Mooseinadesert said:

There is so much wrong with what you said I dont even know where to begin.

Capaill said:

I took one look at the dude with the gun in the video and instantly thought of the Quarian Tali from Mass Effect.

Was glad to hear recently that CD Projekt Red will have no DRM in the Witcher 3. Some PC games companies understand that piracy isn't killing off their sales; it's the fight against it that is.

Personally I never pirate PC games. These companies deserve my money.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

With AMD hardware in both next gen consoles and Nvidia expanding more into mobile markets I believe they would just focus more R&D into those fields and possibly new things altogether. Intel as well doesn't focus on the PC side of things all that much either, and are gearing more towards mobile devices, but even laptop sales are going to start to see a lower demand. However Intel does have a dominant market share in the server and workstation segment as well. Any profit lost from the desktop market will just be redistributed to the other fields anyway, its up to Intel, Nvidia and AMD to adapt and meet the needs of the consumers.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Fair enough. Last I heard PC gaming was on the rise though.

Adam Randall Adam Randall said:

Where have you been the past 12 months?

Well where should I begin.. The "games" that were announced at E3 you speak of are in what genre's? I see a lot fluff on PC that floods steam, like broken zombie games that aren't playable, crappy ports of console titles. I love PC gaming just as much as the rest of us, but spending my time wondering if games are going to come to PC, and then if they will be a crappy port.. Well that is a waste of my time and I am sure this will start a flame war, but it is also the major reason I play games mostly on console. Let's also ignore the fact that you need to worry about your PC being able to run a certain game. In a fantasy world PC every game I am interested in and know and love would come out on PC. I would be able to run any game I want for a 5 year span without upgrading. WELL FOLKS THAT IS NEVER GOING TO BE THE CASE! Whether you argue console games are mass marketed or not I don't see where this HUGE BOOMING PC GAMING RENAISSANCE you speak of is occurring at the moment!?!?

distantreality said:

If they like losing out on profit then that is their loss right?

1 person liked this | Geesus said:

First of all.. Didn't I see the news lately that Steam hit 65 million active users and passed the Xbox Live network? Well yeah I did, so obviously no market there then. Unless the people above commenting about piracy, assume these active steam users are in fact downloading pirate games from steam? :P

Secondly, Bungie are one of the most overated developers ever imo. Their stuff is some of the worst I have ever had the misfortune to play. The console crowd lapped up halo like a starving tramp would lap up a bowl of week old soup. In short, meh!

I didn't buy an Alienware just to go out and buy some console that's already a lower spec than I'm currently using. Would've loved to buy Destiny but their loss, I'm still playing borderlands II so not so bad ;-)