Windows 8 growth slows down in November, despite 8.1's arrival

By on December 2, 2013, 9:44 AM
windows, net applications, windows 8, market share, os x, os, windows 8.1

November marked the first full month of availability for Windows 8.1 since launching as a free update in late October. So how did this affect uptake of Microsoft’s latest operating system? Not much according to Net Applications. While Windows 8.1 continued to eat into Windows 8’s market share, collectively Windows 8.x gained a mere 0.05 points during the period, even less than Windows 7’s climb of 0.22 points.

As it stands right now Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 sit at 6.66% and 2.64%, respectively, for a combined total of 9.3%. Windows 7 managed to move up slightly from 46.42% to 46.64% at the end of November, while Windows XP still clings to 31.22% of the market even as the clock ticks closer to its end-of-support date. Meanwhile, Vista continued to drop 0.06 percentage points in November and now sits at 3.57%.

There were a few other interesting bits of statistical data in this month’s report. ZDNet’s Ed Bott pointed to the uptake of Microsoft and Apple’s free updates, for instance. Windows 8.1 now represents 28.4% of the total Windows 8.x install base while OS X 10.9 Mavericks is at 33.9% for all versions from 10.6 and above.

November was also one of the few months this year that Windows as a whole has gained market share (up 0.22%) to the expense of both OS X (down 0.17 points to 7.56%) and Linux (down 0.05 points to 1.56%).

2 people like this | Lurker101 said:

I know this is going to sound silly, but maybe, people just don't like Windows 8?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

I know why I might dump it... I just got the latest Macbook Pro 15", which I think is an amazing thing. After several days waisted on trying to install Windows on it I'm about to throw in the towel. After all, I have almost everything on Mac that I need for software development.

It is not entirely correct to compare 8.1 update with Mavericks, because the latter is a major upgrade, not a service pack. As a Mac user myself, I personally hesitate to upgrade to Mavericks, because I'm not yet sure all my apps will work there, and I can't risk interrupting my work at this point, but I install minor updates (similar to Windows fixes and service packs) as soon as they arrive. The pace of adoption is generally a bit different for minor and major versions.

Railman said:

Some people like it but I've yet to meet anyone face to face who likes it! Often it is the IT professionals who hate it the most.

I'll stick with my copy of Windows 7. I don't see any real benefit of upgrading to Windows 8.1 at this current time. Microsoft seems to put out a good OS every other cycle. I'll upgrade to Windows 9 when it arrives.

I have only met people who have accepted it and learned to use it. That is not because they like it, but because it came with their computer and upgrading to Windows 7 is too complicated. The majority of people I know though have formatted and returned to Windows 7 on their new computers. Windows 8 is just not productive without a touch screen.

I find Canonical is going about integrating the desktop and tablet the right way. Maybe Microsoft will take a lesson from Ubuntu for Windows 9.

2 people like this | Lurker101 said:

Mostly because it's the IT professionals who spend half an hour trying to find a function that has been put in the most stupid place possible, even though in previous incarnations of Windows, it would've taken at the very most, 4 mouse clicks.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Heh, I am a paradox. I absolutely love Win8 on the touch tablet platform (the Surface products are actually very good). But I hate Win8 on my desktop, so much so that I bought another Win7 license for the new gaming rig I'm building myself for Christmas. I want to like it, but even with the speed boost 8 brought about, it still feels too clumsy and cobbled into a desktop environment, rather than built for one. Don't get me wrong, 8.1 improved things here and there, and there are plenty of add-ons and mods that help it get back to a desktop feel, but it still feels too unnatural somehow (hard to define when it's just personal feel and preferences).

I already dumped Windows, and all my applications...

I switched to Mint Linux, and couldn't be happier! It's even free! I do donate to the developers, but am glad to do so!

1 person liked this | bexwhitt said:

just install startisback and ignore the modern UI then you get the speed advantages of windows 8 and the enhanced explorer without the ugly front end. well worth $3

Lurker101 said:

Pay more money to make a product work like it's supposed to? No thanks. I think I'll stick with Win7.

You don't have to switch to Mac or Linux just because Microsoft released a shitty OS. Just stay on Windows 7 or upgrade from 8 to 7 if you haven't already.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

I HATED the Metro UI when I first tried it and didn't think I would ever like it. I was totally prepared to stay with W7, but with the ability to boot directly to desktop in 8.1 and Startisback, I no longer had a reason to stay with it. As a techie, staying with old ass W7 didn't make sense to me if I wanted to get the most out of my hardware.

I had the same feelings when Vista came out, but when SP1 came out and the software compatibility was a LOT better I left XP for good and never regretted it.

EEatGDL said:

I don't know if just my family has bad luck but when I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 in my mom's work PC and my brother's brand new notebook (I updated it the day after he bought it) they got some annoying problems: my mom's network adapter would intermitently say there's no cable plugged in and solved only by actually unplugging it and plugging it again and my brother's notebook camera is no longer detected after the update. I think I read something about mouse acceleration problems and other hardware-related problems with Windows 8.1, I really don't know how can they screw up the hardware side of the OS when Windows 8 worked fine in that part.

1 person liked this | RH00D RH00D said:

In my circle of people I know, it's the IT folks who love it the most because like real power users they use keyboard shortcuts and the CLI and keyboard shortcuts are vastly improved in Windows 8.x and the CLI works the same as always.

Windows Key + X is the bee's knees.

Shutting down is only a matter of right-clicking the start button (or pressing Win Key + X) and selecting shutdown.

wastedkill said:

Tbh I am on a cracked 8.1 as 1. I am on a desktop not a laptop, 2. I love the new features that enhance task manager and file transfers along a few other stuff I will actually use but metro.. I hate it so I installed that start menu and I never have to see it again thank god!

1 person liked this | BMfan BMfan said:

I'd love to know what extra speed people keep talking about with 8\8.1.

I've done tests(using bootracer) and it is quicker from Time to Log-on by about a second or 2 but from Time to desktop it's about 15 seconds longer.

Windows 7 averages about 16 seconds total to desktop.

Windows 8.1 averages about 28 seconds.

Exactly same setup and even tried on two different SSD's.

WAHID said:

In few simple words Windows 8.X is the worst OS that Microsoft ever made.

1 person liked this | Guest17 said:

After suffering through Win8, then 8.1, I finally bit the bullet and up/downgraded back to Win7. Even with StartIsBack, I found W8 atrocious, with the only saving grace being faster boot times. What I've never seen mentioned, however, is that is boot times while upgrading were factored in to aggregate boot time averages, W8 would be like molasses on a tree trunk. Many times, I've waited six, seven, even ten minutes to boot while upgrades were being installed.

Now with W7 installed on my fairly robust desktop, I feel like a ex-junkie with the monkey finally off my back. BMfan's stats are on the button: 16 second average boot times on a desktop that now is clean and unencumbered. What a relief.

nazartp said:

Honestly, I tried the RC for Win8 and just hated it. Then had Win8 installed on the media PC because Metro tiles are easy to see from the couch. Recently bought ASUS T100 with Win 8.1 pre-installed and actually really like it. Except for some functions hidden in new places, for everyday use, the system is really good and way snappier than Win 7. For tablet use, I, actually, strongly prefer Win8 metro interface to either iOS or Android. Ease of multitasking is unparalleled and gestures are intuitive and natural. BTW, iOS 7 is just cartoonishly ugly.

Railman said:

I was very surprised today because I was told by a surveyor he was given a brand new laptop that had been downgraded from W7 to XP. It would seem that the companies custom software will not work in newer OS versions. I am not surprised that W7 is outselling W8 as very few companies see any benefit moving to W8 and I suspect the Xmas consumer market is dominated by tablet sales. Not good news for the Surface!

TheBigFatClown said:

Please explain what hardware you are talking about that is being hindered under the Windows 7 operating system?

But it does make sense to you to upgrade to an operating system that was developed, first and foremost, for tablets. But the fact that you have managed to jam a square peg through a round hole(by installing third-party software) makes you happy?

Okee then.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Okee then.

LOL I don't have to prove anything to you.

TheBigFatClown said:

LOL I don't have to prove anything to you.

True enough. And you actually didn't prove anything. You made a claim about Windows 8 that you simply have no explanation for. Good job soldier.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

ROFLMAO. Any credibility you had as a techie disappeared with your statement, okee?

You can't even write English, so scram.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You can't even write English, so scram.
What does that do for your credibility, when you associate intentional misspelling with lack of technical know how?

I do agree with you though, you shouldn't have to prove yourself. If you say you no longer despise Windows 8, I believe you.

TheBigFatClown said:

You can't even write English, so scram.

Ah, the troll looking for a little love and affection. I fell for it. High-five bro!!!!

*TheBigFatClown gives hahahanoobs a big fat juicy bear hug*

Lurker101 said:

LOL I don't have to prove anything to you.

He wants a simple explanation as to how Win7 hinders you as opposed to Win8 and all you can do is rattle out obnoxious insults?

If you like Win8, then fair enough. Good for you. The way you're acting though is very infantile and quite synonymous with both trolling and fanboyism.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

He wants a simple explanation as to how Win7 hinders you as opposed to Win8.

He should try the internet. I don't get my information from individuals, I get it from the source, so him asking me is ridiculous. I used chat and comment sections back in 2004 when I was a noob, but I learned how to find information myself since then.

PS, If I was a fanboy I wouldn't have hated Windows 8, and liking something because it compliments my hardware does not make me a fanboy. That word is way too overused it's annoying.

Lurker101 said:

PS, If I was a fanboy I wouldn't have hated Windows 8.

There are fanboys on both sides of this argument. The first step to getting help is admitting you have a problem and are a fanboy.

And since he was asking for why Win7 hinders you personally, over Win8, how could trawling the internet for keynotes and benchmarks help to get your opinion and experience?

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

I don't have to answer to you either. Go bug someone else to help you get fans.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Ha, I knew who to expect from the comments section when I read the title... The Clown is back... I missed you like I miss the plague...

How dare anyone like this OS and have a different opinion to my own. I shall hence forth fling insults at you and question your modus operandi for wanting to use this OS, but most importantly I will liken you to various forms of primates thereby calling into question your intelligence. I, like most keyboard cowboys, feel safe behind the anonymity of the interweb...

So let me tell you, if you had to insult me, as you do to anyone in these windows 8 articles, within arms reach of me I would punt you in the face. I do not take kindly to any form of insult, so if you have no constructive criticism without slurring, then be brave enough to leave name and address details, sadly however I do not live in the United States to meet you myself, but perhaps others more locally situated may take you up on that. Otherwise try keep it clean and technical, which I do believe is the purpose of this site...

I cant wait to hear your response to this, lets see if your reaction is any different to what I expect...

mailpup mailpup said:

Back on topic please. Any further posts containing personal comments will disappear into the void regardless of any other content. Fair warning.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I was never even interested in it but I bought a touchscreen laptop over Thanksgiving so I had my first experience with Windows 8.1 yesterday. I feel completely lost without my Start button. Even simple tasks such as Control Panel are buried whereas they were at the touch of a single button. I am definitely not liking this and am already looking for a cheapish copy of Windows 7

Just lookup classic shell or startisback. Then WIN 8 will look more familiar to you.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

I might consider Windows 8 for my HTPC if I can get it for $40. I do not want it on my big rig or laptop. Maybe a tablet.

Either way the results speak for themselves. If it weren't for Microsoft forcing Windows 8 into the market, its market share would be even less then it is now.

To be honest, Win 8 has a few new features over Win 7 but for a PC gamer it won't worth to upgrade if he has Win 7 on his machine.

I already dumped Windows, and all my applications...

I, too, switched to Mint Linux and let me tell you, I couldn't be unhappier! Not only I can't run my favorite applications (e.g. Adobe Photoshop), but it is not compatible with my Canon printer and even Wi-Fi USB adapter. Sorry, but I switched back to Windows 7 and couldn't be happier! Linux Desktop still has a long way to go.

Also, just because it's free doesn't mean it is always better than its commercial counterpart and Linux is no exception to this rule. The old adage holds true: "you get what you pay for."

rculver9056 rculver9056 said:

I still find it interesting that there is still so much hate for Windows 8.

I have 8.1 installed on the desktop PC and find it very easy to use with the mouse and keyboard.

In fact, I very rarely use the touch screen monitor any more.

There are improvements all over the place, and I find that the Start Screen is much easier to use than the Start Menu.

Microsoft put a lot of research into how people used the Start Menu before they made the change, so saying that it is for tablets and phones first and foremost isn't actually correct.

It has been proven may times that the boot time is faster.

Publicly admitting using cracked software..? lol

Finally, it has come a long way since the Consumer Preview, so comparing 8.1 to that is a long way off.