Learn to Code: 22 Free Resources

By Wendy Boswell on December 9, 2013, 12:37 AM

Whether you’re looking for something new to learn, or just want to refresh your memory on something that might be a bit rusty, there are plenty of free sources online that you can take advantage of free code classes. In this article, we’re going to look at a few different resources online you can tap into for coding know-how; some of these are email-based, some are in a game format (always my favorite!), and some are instructor-led via video. Just pick and choose the one that works best for you.

Read the complete article.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

While its great and all, learning to code this way can be little frustrating at times unless you ask for help on forums. Nothing better then having a knowledgeable and enthusiastic teacher to help you out. I really do need to learn but need more dedication, so many distractions at home. I lurke around in code and can change variables and what not but starting from the bottom is little tougher ^^

hopgop1 hopgop1 said:

I want to learn java script  for games to be ahead of the competition in school and personally I like Code Avengers the best, the interface for me personally is the best.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

I've used a couple of these when I was coding way back when. I've since shifted my focus but, its cool to see an article with this sort of info on TS.

JC713 JC713 said:

Wow thanks for the links. I was not aware of these! I think you should add in Dash: https://dash.generalassemb.ly/

CorvusCorax said:

Perfect timing TS! I'm an IT student with 4 weeks between semesters, so I wanted to spend my idle time learning the basics of another programming language.

Does anyone have an opinion on which language to focus on? I have one semester of Java under my belt.

TheDreams TheDreams said:

I really like the Code Player walkthrough, it is really helpful.

TheDreams TheDreams said:

Ok so I've really wanted to get into coding but I do not have a background of it. I spend lots of time on the computer so I have loads of practice time. I have looked at some of the programs, that you know, you drag walk for 5 seconds in front of sit for 4, those are no problem lol but all of the other programs I find are of here's a challenge, most of the code, fix it, I have no idea what the code says :3. See thats not what I am looking for, as a high school student I have taken a programming class but mostly I worked with robots where you just drag the different operations to the next one or learning what function; and function(update); is. What I am looking for is a basic instructional video that shows what this section of code does or why do I put a semi-colon there or an open bracket. I was wondering if someone could give me a link or try maybe hit me up on Skype(elisauder) and also in about a week and a half ill be renting a teamspeak channel, maybe someone could help me on there? If so PM me or add me on Skype. I will not be able to give payment for help at this time, sorry.

Thanks for the share...it was really helpful...