PlayStation 4 was the best selling next-gen console in November according to NPD

By on December 13, 2013, 12:45 PM
sony, microsoft, playstation, npd, sales, playstation 4, xbox one, november

While we have already heard from both Sony and Microsoft when it comes to sales numbers of the two new gaming consoles, now official sales tracking firm NPD is ready to sound off on November's numbers.

As we previously expected, PlayStation 4 was the highest selling console for the month of November. Xbox One, which came in second, was November's "fastest selling" console according to NPD, with units flying of the shelves at a rate of 101K per day. We know that Sony has sold about 2.1 million new PS4s so far and Microsoft is closer to 2 million even, but NPD notes that when "looking at sales on an average per-week basis, Xbox One actually led PS4." Even with the one week head start and a much broader number of regions where PS4 is available, Xbox One looks to be keeping things interesting.

NPD reports that last month was the best November for gaming hardware sales in the US due to the launch of the new consoles. Hardware sales generated $1.3 billion, a steady rise of 58% from the $839.1 million brought in this time last year.

NPD also dropped last month's hottest selling titles saying that software sales in general were down 24% to $1.085 billion from $1.434 billion last year. The month's top selling games across all platforms in order are as follows: Call Of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Madden NFL 25, and Grand Theft Auto V. The list accounts for collector, GOTY and bundle editions, but not those bundled with hardware.

"This is the fourth consecutive month for an increase in combined physical sales across hardware, software and accessories," NPD analyst Liam Callahan said. "Unlike the past three months where growth was driven by software, positive trends for both hardware and accessory sales drove on overall increase of 7%.”

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

I hope the Xbox1 has multiple launch breaking issues that ruin its image forever. Go PS4, kick its @ss.

4 people like this | Scavengers Scavengers said:

WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!

It looks like this thread may over populate with 12 year olds.

Dave

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Not all that surprising. E3 was a big PR gainer for Sony (and a disaster for MS), but there are too many people who are brand loyal to give either system a strong leg up in the short-run. I'll be more interested to hear who is leading mid-life cycle. As it stands now, with both systems lacking a solid available library, the sales figures are just that: sales figures.

2 people like this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!

It looks like this thread may over populate with 12 year olds.

Dave

"My system can beat up your system!"

"Nu-uh, my system works for a big corporation!"

"So does mine!"

Ah, childhood.

2 people like this | penn919 said:

WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!

It looks like this thread may over populate with 12 year olds.

Dave

"My system can beat up your system!"

"Nu-uh, my system works for a big corporation!"

"So does mine!"

Ah, childhood.

That sort of thing doesn't tend to happen on TechSpot articles. It's the main reason I visit here.

Scavengers Scavengers said:

Anyway.

My thoughts are that given the poor reputation the XB1 has due to inexplicable Microsoft plans originally (paying to play used game and making sure that there aren't "to many people" watching a movie" and pricing mostly due to forcing Kinect on everyone, the One will lag behind once the smoke clears and all consoles are readily available.

I am primarily a PC gamer (We get one console per generation) but I have played both and they really are excellent machines.

In fact for me, Zombie U on the Wii U is the most fun new gen game I have played so far.

Next year when all are at least a year old we will pick one.

Dave

penn919 said:

Also, I think people are forgetting that Xbox one is a hundred bucks more. It's no surprise that it isn't selling quite as well as the PS4. In fact, it's numbers are still impressive given the price premium.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

How.. childish. Why can't "gamers" just be happy with what they have?

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

How.. childish.

I know. :P

2 people like this | Lionvibez said:

How.. childish. Why can't "gamers" just be happy with what they have?

He probably gets beat up by his older sister everyday so he has to rebel some how :P

treetops treetops said:

Well the ps4 came out sooner in nov. I read a article on yahoo that says they are currently tied. Xbox1 made some real bad prelaunch policies that they turned around. I hate xbox1 for the bs they tried to pull. But my gf bought one anyways cause she likes xbox, thats it lol. The xbox1 gives you a kinect thats why its 100$ more.

Dead rising 3 is pretty damn cool but I looked and it already has a 30$ dlc available.... I already spent 60$ on the damn game.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

so that they can really control the console market? You mean just like AMD/Intel market? The more competitors, the better.

ikesmasher said:

The only reasons I got an xbox 360 instead of a PS3 were halo, party chat, and price.

Now the PS4 is cheaper, has party chat, and halo sucks, and Destiny is primarily promoted for PS4 (spending most time with that?) so im pretty sure im going with a PS4.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

The only reason PS4 hasn't sold double, or even triple the xbox one is due to supply limitations. I'm not surprised their matched sales wise considering both are manufactured by Foxconn, there is only so many they can really make. I can't even find a PS4 for myself so I awaiting probably like many others. Im more a PC gamer anyway.

Sweed007 Sweed007 said:

Wow. Not to ruin your guys party in here but. The xbone has out sold the ps4 every single day since its release. The ps4 only sold more in nov as it came out a good week sooner.

xbone 1 outsold the ps4 two to one on black friday. Even the xbox 360 outsold the ps4 on black friday.

long live both systems (for the competition)....but this story is terribly misleading.

ikesmasher said:

I don't feel like explaining it so ill just wait for someone else to point out the couple of flaws in your logic.

Sweed007 Sweed007 said:

sweet baby jesus I can't wait!!!!

Surely the Good Lord has nothing to do with a bunch of overpriced consoles - never mind the "yawn fest" of games available ;-)

Sweed007 Sweed007 said: