LG sells 13.2 million phones in Q4 2013, up 54% from 2012

By on January 27, 2014, 8:30 AM

Financial results for Q4 2013 have been flowing in from a range of companies in the past week, with LG today jumping on board to deliver their numbers. On $14.03 billion in revenue for Q4, LG achieved a $223.9 million operating profit and an overall net loss of $59 million. For 2013 as a whole, LG's revenues rose slightly to $53.1 billion, leading to $1.17 billion in operating profit and a net profit of $203 million.

LG's smartphone division was particularly successful in Q4, thanks to strong sales of the Nexus 5 and LG G2. The company sold 13.2 million phones in the period, which is up 54% on the same period last year, creating $3.38 billion in revenue. For the entire year, LG's phone division posted $11.85 billion in revenue, which is up 29% on the previous year.

The Korean company also posted strong results from its television division, managing to double the operating profit created from TVs in Q4. In the coming quarters LG could see even better sales of their TVs, as they begin to launch sets powered by webOS, which was generally well received by those that previewed the revitalized TV operating system at CES 2014.

Alongside the release of Q4 and yearly financial results, LG also revealed that a new flagship smartphone will be launched next month: the LG G Pro 2. As a successor to last year's LG Optimus G Pro (later renamed the LG G Pro), which packed a large 5.5-inch IPS LCD display, the G Pro 2 will be launched at Mobile World Conference in Barcelona towards the end of the month. Despite the announcement today, LG hasn't given any detailed information about the handset.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

LG has great stuff IMO. My 42" LG LCD is going on 5 years old, never had a single problem and my 60" LG Plasma has excellent picture quality/features for the measly $800 I paid for it over a year ago.

I would definitely buy an LG phone or tablet.

veLa veLa said:

Surprising, I assumed the G2 had been an absolute failure.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Surprising, I assumed the G2 had been an absolute failure.

Are you kidding me??? It's THE current android flagship (To my understanding).

Loved it ever since I got it, great performance smooth in every way, amazing ips display, battery lasts way above the average, had mine running for 34 hours and 23 minutes on normal usage and 10% remaining battery, for me that's huge for such a big screen.

Korn007 Korn007 said:

LG makes the NEXUS 5 which is the #1 selling phone out and of course has the same specs as the LG G2 so its also the fastest out with the snapdragon 800 quad core chip in it.

veLa veLa said:

Are you kidding me??? It's THE current android flagship

I disagree, whatever the latest Galaxy S or Note device is the Android king when accounting for sales.

Anyway this is what I found when I looked up LG G2 sales: "LG had hoped to sell 10 million flagship G2 smartphones this year according to the site's sources, but sales into channels barely topped 2 million."

Korn007 Korn007 said:

Vela you gotta add in the NEXUS 5 sales since LG makes that phone also bro.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

To my understanding the flagship term is used performance wise. Again I might be wrong.

Still, those are the fastest phones out there both sporting the same Quad core chip. So far it's the best performance all around I've seen in a phone taking into consideration power aspects vs energy managment.