Can't read/write CD-Rs with Sony DVD DRU-710A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay.. here's my situation:

I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-710A, and it has worked Great for last 2 months!
However, yesterday when I burned data on a CD-R with Nero 6, my computer freezed when it reached 100%. So what could I do? Nothing but press the reboot button. So I did. And now, whenever I put in a CD-R it acts as if there's no CD in it. It's not able to read or write CD-Rs.

It is still able to do so with DVDs, however. No problem with that. Wonder why?

This is what I have tried:
- No firmware updates available!
- I did a sony's Drive Check, and it passed using a blank DVD+R (like I said, there's no problem using DVDs); when I put a CD-R in, the Drive Check said "Please insert a blank CD-R" (as if there was no blank CD)
- Tried to remove the driver and then let windows find it.

All in all, still not working!
What could I do? and could such little thing as freeze during burning really mess up a Dvd drive?
PLEASE HELP! I really need it to work!

Thanks!

yes, but for some reason it always says:
"Your computer cannot be restored to this date:
mm/dd/yy"

don't know why it cant be restored!

Solution?....Maybe...

Try reinstall Windows!Dont forget to back-up your sensitive data before on a cd or different partition ;)

I have had the same drive for 3 months and have experienced exactly the same problem. Nero stopped responding at 100%. I waited 20 minutes or so and then forced nero to shut down and then restarted the computer. Now my drive will not recognize CDs anymore (DVDs still work fine). I have tried re-installing nero, updating to the latest firmware, and re-installing the device drivers. Nothing has worked. I have e-mailed Sony but they have been slow to respond. I have noticed that your post is a few months old. Did you ever get this problem fixed?

im having the exactly same problem aswell

hello my dvdr partners! ;D
it is very sad we must go out and solve this issue with no support from out big renomed SONY.... somehow i had the same problem using nero, then drive stopped recording after the 99%.... and froze... i wait some minutes and nothing,..... then i had to force close nero burning. a normal thing....
the problem is my drive is not reading any kind of CD original, blank or burned CD-R.....
For original DVDR and blank or recorded the drive works just fine....
now we know it is not only you or me.... in not much time i have notice more and more people have encountred this same problem...
my beuty drive worked good for one month.... now it is half working...
i hope someone from sony see this log and find us a cure since nothing seems to work..... this must be some weird problem............
if someone know how to solve this please email or leave a post urgent.....

much thanks!

i have a P3 800, 256RAM
it is perfect... no need for more on this server.. its not a playing computer...
and as i said upthere, the drive worked fine for 1 mth....
also i have tryed to BYX2 upgrade and now my drive is not reading DVDR only original... so ill go back to BY02.... and hopefuly it wil read my DVD-R and DVDOriginal.... but not CD or CD-R
this has nothing to do with the hardware!

worker like a charm for a month!!

weird weird weird...!!!!!!!!!!

I called Sony today about my drive. When I told them what had happened they immediately issued me an RMA number and told me to return the drive for replacement. I find it odd that they didn't ask me any questions about my system configuration and they didn't ask me to perform any diagnostic tests on the drive. I suspect that this problem occurs frequently with this drive and is hardware related. (Of course, I don't know for sure. It will be interesting to see if this problem becomes a big issue with this particualr model of drive in the future.)

Also, the tech that I talked to on the phone told me that the drive has two different lasers. One laser for CDs and one for DVDs. This might explain why the drive can still read/write DVDs while being unable to even detect CDs.

bad bad..... now i got stuck with my dvd drive...

im not in the US, however ill try to get more help in my country...
but this can happen again!!!
so you will change your drive??? 10 times?
nooo... thre must be a fix soon i really think.. some software fix

still , if someone have the fix let us know thanks

What do you expect from sony...they are no good at making computer equipment and should stick to other things.

Same problem.

My Pioner DVR107d will read DVD + / - & cd's etc. However it will not read DVD RW! I have tried everything to solve this problem.
Reinstalled Nero, firmware etc.
I might have to buy a new burner! NOT HAPPY JAN. (If you are an aussie you will know what I mean)! :dead:
The burner is only 6 months old.

I finally got my drive replacement today from Sony (it took about two weeks). I checked it to make sure that it had the latest firmware (a confusing experience, see below) and then did a fresh install of Nero 6 (up to date with the latest patches).

Heh, on the very first CD that I tried to burn, Nero stopped responding at 100%. (*sigh* This is un-f'ing-believable.) I waited about 10 minutes and then forced nero to shut down and then restarted the computer (deja-vu). Luckily, the drive appears to still be able to read CDs and DVDs but I am left to wonder "For how long?".

Perhaps there is a problem with Nero?

The firmware also seems to be a likely culprit. The drive the died and was replaced was using the BY02 version of the firmware when it died. I updated its firmware to BYX2 (the latest on Sony's web page) when I was trying to fix it. My new drive came with firmware BY03 installed. Upon visiting Sony's website (http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru710adwn.htm) today I have discovered that the only version of firmware that they offer now is BY02. Although BY03 and BYX2 are both newer versions apparently they have been withdrawn due to "problems". (Here is a link to another fourm whose thread discusses the firmware http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=1507782)

Now whenever I look at my drive I get a sinking feeling and wish that I had gotten a different one. Grrrrr. I don't want all of these problems, I just want to burn some CDs.

Sony DVD-RW DW U18A

I have a similar model burner with the exact same problem. I'd had the drive aprox. 6 months and while burning with nero I got to 100% and the program froze.

I updated the firmware to enable DVD dual layer burning, which works fine, but the drive still won't recognise CDs. Based on this and the above posts I'm guessing it's a hardware problem and it can't be fixed with a software update.

I'm also in Australia, can anyone give me a contact point for sony so I can get this thing replaced? Their help desk over the phone didn't have a clue and the web hasn't been any help either.

Cheers

The same exact thing has happend to my DRU-710a. I was using nero froze at 99% i rebooted and it didnt work but it still reads dvds. Any way i was searching the net for some answers and i stummbled upon this tread. I take it there has not been a fix yet, so i guess ill call up sony and see what they have to say. If you guys know anything else that would help me i would be glad to hear it.

Same thing here

I have the same problem. DVD's burn fine and DVD's are read fine with my dru-710a, but cd-r's are a whole other problem. Half the time my cd's don't want to read (i.e. commercial cd's, burned cd's, audio cd's). What I mean is that sometimes the same cd will be read and sometimes not. When I try to let my motherboard (A7N8X with latest bios v.1008) try to read a bootable cd at bootup, it can not. I got my drive pretty cheap from New Egg, so I guess I got what I paid for :( . I was thinking that it might be possible that this drive has a bad laser for reading cd-rs, so it might be possible to replace the laser very easily without returning the drive because I hate returning stuff. Or it could be the laser is dirty or the firmware sucks. And oh yeah, DO NOT REFORMAT and DO NOT DO WINDOWS RESTORE, this is not a problem that will fix. You will waste your time. Everybody's solution is always to reformat, but 99% of the time you do not need to.

I also have the same exact problem. Reads and writes DVDs just fine. Won't detect or write CDs at all. I suspect that all of these drives are defective.

Update

Well, I RMAed my dru-710A with Sony. Only took about 5 calls and about 5 hours of wasted time while they made me do everything and anything I could to my computer (including putting it in another Windows XP computer after putting it in another computer because Linux isn't considered an operating system to them). Also they tried to get me to change my ide driver from the standard Windows XP driver to some other driver that comes with Windows XP. When I got an error saying this driver is not intended for this platform, they told me I need to call Microsoft. This really pissed me off. I can not believe this is SONY! This is mainly why I bought the drive. It was a good price and from a company I thought was good. Well, eventually they finally RMAed it and when I asked if others have had this problem, the technicians told me they had no other customers with this problem that they know of. I AM CERTAIN THEY ARE HIDDING SOMETHING. Anyhow, I'm still waiting to get the drive back, but I have a feeling this next one won't work either. Anyway, I was thinking that this falls under a class-action lawsuit and I don't really know if anyone has the time/money to file a lawsuit, but I'm not a lawyer, so I'm wondering how you could get something like that started. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a letter to a state senator or mayor?

I called tech support and I'm in the process of an RMA. I said I've heard many other people have had this problem and that one person who got a brand new one still had the same problem. He told me that it was impossible for this to happen and something must be wrong with their system. I'm not buying that story at all.

Same Problem

Well, my DRU-710A has the same problem. I was burning a CD using Nero, then when process reached 100% the program froze, the disc just kept spinning even after I forced Nero shutdown, so I had to reboot. Then, the next CD inserted into the Sony drive, wasn't read. No kind of CD gets to be read now.

Thought mine could be an isolated problem, but after finding this thread it's clear that is not the case.

It worries me that it might be a hardware issue, because I bought my drive in the USA, and live in Mexico City, so I don't know if I will be able to make valid my warranty from here :s

Lets hope someone here will find a solution.

Greetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back