As if you needed another reason to hate Metallica

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

Metallica are suing independant Canadian rockers Unfaith over what they call "unsanctioned usage of two chords [Metallica] have been using since 1982 : E and F."

Whole story here: http://www.scoopthis.com/411/met_uf/stc_met_uf_mtv.htm

relavent story here:http://www.411mania.com/music/news/article.php?news_id=3586
According to MTV.com, Metallica are suing independant Canadian rockers Unfaith over what they call "unsanctioned usage of two chords [Metallica] have been using since 1982 : E and F."

"People are going to get on our case again for this, but try to see it from our point of view just once," stated drummer Lars Ulrich. He adds that they're not saying they own the two chords, individually - "that would be ridiculous" - just that in that specific order, people have grown to associate E, F with their music, and their continued usage in the same song causes "confusion, deception and mistake in the minds of the public."

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Metallica are suing independant Canadian rockers Unfaith over what they call "unsanctioned usage of two chords [Metallica] have been using since 1982 : E and F.".....

Obviously dudes, you play 2 notes someone else plays 2 notes,
"People are going to get on our case again for this, but try to see it from our point of view just once," stated drummer Lars Ulrich. He adds that they're not saying they own the two chords, individually - "that would be ridiculous" - just that in that specific order, people have grown to associate E, F with their music, and their continued usage in the same song causes "confusion, deception and mistake in the minds of the public."

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Metallica are suing independant Canadian rockers Unfaith over what they call "unsanctioned usage of two chords [Metallica] have been using since 1982 : E and F.".....

Obviously dudes, you play 2 notes then someone else plays 2 notes oh now its infringement?
get a grip man, I can't even begin to understand how you can justify owning something on 2 notes.
"People are going to get on your case again for this, but try to see it from our point of view just once," stated drummer Lars Ulrich.
"well no $*** lars, what do you expect, you are taking freedom from the very people you promoted it to in the first place, is it now that you have money, not right to promote to smaller towns and smaller labels?"
He adds that they're not saying they own the two chords, individually - "that would be ridiculous" - just that in that specific order, people have grown to associate E, F with their music, and their continued usage in the same song causes "confusion, deception and mistake in the minds of the public." [/B][/QUOTE]

I can't be bothered to deal with the vb code, if a supermod or admin wants to clear that up then go ahead, but even with my ambiguity I believe its evident how F'ing stupid the RIAA is.

LOL!

Chromatic scale has only 12 notes, and if you don't want to compose noise the odds of having E and F (even as chords) are not small.

I was once really into Metallica. But since the Napster thing, this and who knows what else. They are really getting bad. They act like they are going broke or something. But yet tickets to there concert here in Atlanta were like $85!!

If they could stay out of rehab, they might actually make some money.

I don't really like their newer songs....but their older ones are good. This suit is simply ridiculous. No ones own the E and F chords, its free to anyone who please to use them.

Being a very serious musician myself I find this insulting. That does it for me and Metallica. I will never buy there music or so much as listen to it as of this day. The CDR that I burned with their music on it will literally be burned soon. These guys are some of the most pathetic human beings I've ever seen.

By suing someone over an E and F chord you ARE saying you own those chords. NO ONE can own chords or their arrangements.

If this isn't thrown out of court I am going to be very upset, and insulted by both Metallica and the court system.

Looks like this whole thing was a fake lawsuit, according to this article at E Online.
........the lawsuit is a fake, concocted by an Internet prankster who happens to be the lead singer-songwriter of the Canadian band in question, Unfaith.

Freelance commercial designer and aspiring musician Erik Ashley designed the bogus piece to look like it originated from MTV.com and even included a response from the band.

If I'm not mistaken there is a preset standard for this whole note copying thing. I remember when sampling was first becoming popular. There was a certain number of notes that had to be sampled from another recording before royalties had to be paid. There were many lawsuits during the 80's concerning this and some kind of standard was established. I may be wrong, or the number may have changed, but I seem to remember 11 notes being what it took to establish ownership. As a musician myself, I can see something coming up like this, but two notes is just stupid and should have tipped people off that this was not legit.

I used to be a huge Metallica fan, had much respect for them and everything they went through to get where they are. the whole Napster thing killed every bit of respect I had for them because it went against everything they ever said about the way they felt about their music.

I am also a musician. One reason I didn't doubt this right off was because of the pathetic things that Metallica has done lately which lead me to believe that they are actually stupid enough to try and sue someone for 2 notes.

All musicians know that most songs are usually based on 3 chords. Suing over 2 notes would be un-heard of. Something Metallica just might be crazy enough to try (but would never be successful at).

This one is not Metallica, but it sure fits in the topic of this thread. This one is Roger McGuinn of The Byrds. He is sueing of all people, Microsoft, for using four notes in the shutdown music for Windows XP. Found this at The Inquirer, but the whole story is here.
A NOTICE posted on Roger McGuinn's web site said he will sue Microsoft for allegedly using four notes of the Byrds' song Eight Miles High.

According to the release, McGuinn, founder of the Byrds, will allege that the first four notes of the song are used in the closing down music for Windows XP.

And the story goes that McGuinn is not joking. He said the four notes start all the 12-string breaks on Eight Miles High.

He claims there's no conflict between the coming legal action and his support of free music downloads on the Interweb and said Microsoft is benefiting at his expense.

Aren't Metallica a group behind all this RIAA stuff?

Its probably because Metallica's fans are the sort of people also into computers as well, so Meticalla is a group that gets mp3s of its songs copied more than most....

But this is just taking the Mickey....

"Metallica-branded chords", they say. *Two* chords played in a certain order is a brand. If humans evolved from chimps, then Metallica have just become proof of devolution. Maybe even chimps will be insulted.

Oh my god! What is the world coming to?

Byrds founder to sue Microsoft over Eight Miles High

quote:

A NOTICE posted on Roger McGuinn's web site said he will sue Microsoft for allegedly using four notes of the Byrds' song Eight Miles High.

According to the release, McGuinn, founder of the Byrds, will allege that the first four notes of the song are used in the closing down music for Windows XP.

And the story goes that McGuinn is not joking. He said the four notes start all the 12-string breaks on Eight Miles High.

He claims there's no conflict between the coming legal action and his support of free music downloads on the Interweb and said Microsoft is benefiting at his expense.

One reason I didn't doubt this right off was because of the pathetic things that Metallica has done lately which lead me to believe that they are actually stupid enough to try and sue someone for 2 notes.

Yeah thats why I didn't think twice about it either! They ARE stupid enough to do something like this.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Aren't Metallica a group behind all this RIAA stuff?

Yeah, they are infact one of those artists who against napster and p2p software very much. They put a blame on these softwares for certain lost in incomes.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
All musicians know that most songs are usually based on 3 chords. Suing over 2 notes would be un-heard of. Something Metallica just might be crazy enough to try (but would never be successful at).

Two chords, not two notes... :rolleyes: :p

this kazaa thing

isn't as easy a call as napster..........they are on their own sovereign nation, island, with their own laws..............to keep this kind of thing from really happening...that's how there is indian gaming.....there's a work around to every issue.....and the two chord thing is fake, but, deserved.......i think i had better copyright the remaining chords to the songs i create in the shower before there are none left :D

This kind of thing is ridiculous though. I mean it is getting way out of hand. Not just with Metallica. Even though this was a simple rumor going around the fact is there are people stupid enough in this world to try such a thing. Also the judicial system, patent office, the people who decide on what can be copyrighted are downright pathetic little human beings and let too much slide. The fact that you can patent something as simple as a way to cook your soup... well I need not tell you how pathetic this is, and it happens.

As I have said before. If things keep going this way then I honestly won't make one bit of an argument against North Korea pressing the great red button and blowing us all to kingdom come. It is coming to us deserving it for our stupidity.

I heard all about this on the radio over vacation this weekend. It's hillarious. I don't think many people that use computers really like them anymore. :) You know, their bitchiness to P2P networks.

I must point out that I am a big 'tallica fan and this is a fake stroy that never had any basis in truth (well the metallicapart anyway).

So please dont blaken theyre name anymore it was a fake story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back