Copying programs from laptop tp external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologise if this is an inane question, but it's driving me mad!!!
I have recently acquired an external hard drive with the intention of transfering my vast collection of music on to it. I want to transfer Windows Media player to it as well. I have had no problem in moving My Music file to the external drive. However, I cannot seem to copy the whole progam of Windows Media Player on to it, only a shortcut button. I want to ensure that all my music is stored on the external hard drive and in order to play it I think I need the windows media player or simialr on there to. Is this correct? if it is how do I do it???

Thank you

You only need to move your music files onto the external drive.

You cant move media player as it is part of windows, if you have a library of music in media player then at the moment it will have its location stored as the original place that your files are, if you then move the files you will have to recreate the library and point it to the new storage area (your external drive).

Regards

Windows Media Player (WMP) is a program which is included with Windows. In fact, whatever music player you use, it must be installed on Windows to run. What you can do, if you want, is copy the installation program for WinAmp or some 3rd party music player to your external harddrive. As for WMP, it's included with Windows so you don't need to save it.

Windows stores the majority of the information for a program in the Registry.
Even if you copy all the parts of the program (which is possible), it will never
run using only the information on the external HD -- the registry of the system to
which you are attached will take over.

If the new system has any program that can use your music files, then that
default program will be launched when you dbl-click on a file on the ext-hd.
(but the title, artist, et al will not be visible for the choice!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back