Bought a proccesser need some mobo advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizics

i bought an intel pentium D 805 LGA775 Dual Core but now i need a new Mobo i was looking at toms hardware and they gave advice for sevral chipsets, i checked New Egg and all of them were out of my price range, exept the same chipsets only refubished.. has anyone had any experiance with these refurbished parts im a bit worried because this is my first build and they dont include anything but the board. does any one know any other boards that are compatible with this processer and support some OCing. im on a pretty tight budget($130 for a mobo)

When investing that kind of $$ on new equipment & on limited $$, I really don't recommend OC'ing.
Have a look here TechSpot price watch it's already sorted. There's some good prices.
G'Luck

edit: I've got my eye on this one. Asus P5LD2-VM Motherboard
Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
This motherboard supports the latest Pentium 4 CPU from Intel in LGA775 package. With 1066 MHz FSB, Hyper-Threading Technology, Intel EM64T, Intel EIST, Intel's LGA775 Pentium 4 is one of the fastest desktop processors to date.

Dual-Core CPU Support
Enjoy the extraordinary CPU power from the latest dual-core CPU. The advanced processing technology contains two physical CPU cores with individually dedicated L2 Caches to satisfy the rising demand for more powerful processing capability.

Fizics said:
i bought an intel pentium D 805 LGA775 Dual Core but now i need a new Mobo i was looking at toms hardware and they gave advice for sevral chipsets, i checked New Egg and all of them were out of my price range, exept the same chipsets only refubished.. has anyone had any experiance with these refurbished parts im a bit worried because this is my first build and they dont include anything but the board. does any one know any other boards that are compatible with this processer and support some OCing. im on a pretty tight budget($130 for a mobo)

Reading from you're other form you will need a new motherboard. Seeing you already know what you need and want, I think answered you're own question athough minamum that you should run with that CPU is PC 3200 512 mb should be good and get a new hdd. they are farly cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144173

It's only about 50 bucks

and ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145477

45 bucks and you will be able to run the ram in duel-channel for even more preformance.

The products I have listed are the bare minimum for a desecent computer.

Dude, i have that exact processor. personally i got a good ol' MSI mobo, cheap, refurb for $60. Works fine. Doesn't overclock though. I have heard that it is possible to get this particular chip to run at 3.8 ghz on default voltage (good cooling). However, unless you are extremely well versed in overclocking i would recomend against trying this. Also hardocp has done a few reviews on mobos for the 775 socket. They suggested an ECS mobo, i will have to look if you are actually interested. But they said it overclocks great.....

yes im verry intrested. the reson i bought the chip was to do some light over clocking only 3.4 or so

i am going to buy the ram but i have 2 HDD from my old system they were manufactured in 01 but they should work .... right?

The reason I think you should buy the new hard drive is that it's spindle speed is 7.2k rpms, those old drives aren't 1/6 as fast and you can do all all the overclocking in the world, but if data can't be accsed quick enough, the CPU ram etc will be almost a waste.

I think you will get 90% speed increase if you upgrade the hdd and it's also a newier technogly sata so then you can have free p-ata free.0

So to sum it up at $50 more you can have 90% speed increase a band new 40gb drive .

It my opinon it's highly worth every penney.

if i can get my hands on a $60 mobo then i will spend the extra cash to upgrad HDD and RAM but if not im just going to have to go with the more expensive mobo and upgrade hdd and ram later

would it be easier to buy a Mobo+Processor bundle? Theres one on Tiger Direct for about $218-$290 with an Intel Mobo and a Pentium D 820 2.66Ghz processor...seems pretty good.or am i wrong :(

i allready bought the processer so.... i guess to refine my question what do i need to be looking for in a mobo so that i know it will support this processer. does it only need to have an LGA socket and an FSB of over 200MHz

SOcRatEs said:
When investing that kind of $$ on new equipment & on limited $$, I really don't recommend OC'ing.
Have a look here TechSpot price watch it's already sorted. There's some good prices.
G'Luck

edit: I've got my eye on this one. Asus P5LD2-VM Motherboard
Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
This motherboard supports the latest Pentium 4 CPU from Intel in LGA775 package. With 1066 MHz FSB, Hyper-Threading Technology, Intel EM64T, Intel EIST, Intel's LGA775 Pentium 4 is one of the fastest desktop processors to date.

Dual-Core CPU Support
Enjoy the extraordinary CPU power from the latest dual-core CPU. The advanced processing technology contains two physical CPU cores with individually dedicated L2 Caches to satisfy the rising demand for more powerful processing capability.

so that mobo that your looking at does not support the 805 or it does ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back