Broken old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alster37

hi i have a difficult problem with my laptops os. I was upgrading it to xp form 98 and it told me to restart so i did. then upon reboot it went into setup again and 5 mins later it says setup cannot copy 100's of files. so i rebooted and tried to run 98 it said a file is corrupted and asked me to type where my command prompt something is and to run scanreg.

how do i fix this?

spes: 330mhz (processor unknown)
ram :33mb

You can't. Windows XP requires about 512Mb of ram to run well. Minimum, I dont know, could be 256Mb It also needs up to 5Gb of disk space.

Reinstall Win98. It was a perfect good OS, as long as you respected it's limits. You might paradoxically, be safer on the internet than with XP, but I wouldn't risk it. I doubt if there is any existing firewall or anti-virus that will work with Win98

i inserted the windows 95 disk into drive and the option tob install does not show on boot still
windows98
xp pro setup
help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are confusing me

You now talk about Win95, not Win98, and give a description of what happens at boot which is entirely unhelpful. FYI when reporting a symptom (of anything) it is essential to give a complete word-for-word reading of what you see on screen.

I can only hazard a wild guess that you have not set the bios to boot off the CD drive, and so the install CD might as well not be there....

It's simple i put in the win 95 disk as i couldnt find 98 and the option to install 95 does not appear when laptop states as normal which operating system would you like to boot with. rember im not talking old but really old.
annoyingly my laptop states error before message boot from CD or enter bios option appear.

(on 98 boot)
windows has detected a registry/configuration error
choose command prompt only and run scanreg
laptop model Toshiba Tecra 550CDT
470CDT2Left.gif

You can download a Windows 95 Startup Disk from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Boot from floppy, whilst having the Windows 95 CD in the drive as well
The floppy disk will eventually boot to a command line
Or it will automatically start the Windows 95 installation

If you just get a command line like A:\>
Just type D: and then press enter
Then type Setup, then press Enter

sorry im afraid ive lost my portable floppy drive which came with the laptop.
any other idea's? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back