OCZ Neutrino 10" Do-It-Yourself netbook review

Julio Franco

Staff member
OCZ Neutrino 10" Do-It-Yourself netbook review

OCZ is offering the Neutrino 10” Do-It-Yourself netbook ($280), that allows users to select and install their own storage, memory and operating system. For those of us that have a spare laptop hard drive or an extra stick of memory lying around, the Neutrino seems like a great value.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/170-ocz-neutrino-netbook/

Please leave your feedback here.

I have had alot of interraction with a number of different netbook models recently as my department is creating a thin client terminal services based library system and we have been stripping them down, adding SSD drives, upgrading memory and installing various different operating systems to find the optimum speed and battery life.

Opening a EEE-PC and replacing the memory is very easy. Removing and replacing the Hard drive is very easy. They come with an OS that is provided at OEM prices instead of $80 dollars.

With only a single slot for memory and the inability to change the CPU I do not see who it is aimed at. Its not difficult to change any of these components on a normal netbook.

On newegg you can get a EEE-PC with a gig of ram, Windows XP Home, 160gig harddrive for 350 dollars. Or you could get this netbook without ram or hdd or OS for 70 dollars less.

I must be missing something. Please let me know what it is?

On a positive, the keyboard does look nice. It reminds me a bit of my old IBM Thinkpad T42.

What about drivers. Can you install Windows XP Professional, or Linux, then find drivers that work without major gut-wrenching frustration?

@yukka You mention one of the scenarios we covered in our conclusion. If there's no particular reason for you to customize this netbook beyond of what other manufacturers already offer out of the box, then the value proposition is not there.

@ raybay As pointed out in the review, we used XP and OCZ had that well covered. Vista works, too, though OCZ doesn't seem to outright support it. I also understand Linux works with most driver support coming directly from the peripheral manufacturers rather than OCZ, however.

Back