"Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr1" error when starting a program

Dhakos

When I go to open a program I've recently installed, half way through loading I'll get an error message reading:

The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open. Please check drive A: and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed." Cancel, Try Again, and Continue, to which I press continue to.

Then I get "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" with Cancel, Try Again, and Continue, to which I press Continue to and another appears but with \Harddisk2\DR2 and so on. After pressing continue to 1 2 3 and 4, the program continues to load fine.

After doing some google searching I see suggestions about renaming the troublesome drive something other than C (apparently this error happens when 2 drives are called C) but there is no drives involved? its just a program, so theres nothing to change, does anyone have any ideas as to why these errors appear? :S

Many Thanks

I'm running Vista, and I know my friend who is also running vista runs the program no problem, its an audio recording program. I know this error isnt specific to the program though, because other cases have been with many other things, so hopefully its a generic windows error that has a work around? these errors are quite annoying on startup :(

i don't know if this will help but give it a try [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post] as that seemingly out-of-place message can sometimes occur when Windows gets confused by old storage drivers still on the computer

This is a longshot but since drive A is a floppy drive and since you probably don't have one installed, go into the BIOS and see if you can disable the floppy drive A.

Aha, well, hardware disabling drive A (which I dont know why I had, I dont have a floppy drive) got rid of the first error, now I only have the 4 harddisk ones, going to try that cleanup usb drivers thing now, fingers crossed :)

:( unfortunately that drivercleaup didnt help, so I still need to find out how to get rid of the 4 "Please insert disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" errors

Any chance you have a multiple SD card reader attached to your computer?

Have you looked at the lower pane in Disk Management to see what it lists or any clues for the different Disk #'s?

I do have a multiple card reader drive yeah, and I have looked at Disk Management, but not been too sure what I'm looking for, My main HD (C:\) and my disk drive (D:\) are the only ones with storage, and F through to H are drives from my card reader with nothing in them.

If only out of curiosity, shut down computer. Disconnect the card reader then reboot. Any change in those messages?

/* EDIT */
I'm assuming its a usb card reader easy to disconnect? or is internal reader?

I do have a multiple card reader drive yeah, and I have looked at Disk Management, but not been too sure what I'm looking for, My main HD (C:\) and my disk drive (D:\) are the only ones with storage, and F through to H are drives from my card reader with nothing in them.

But with regards to that storage device driver cleaning, I've just restarted my computer and now the errors have gone away completely! :)

Thanks everyone for all the help :)

But with regards to that storage device driver cleaning, I've just restarted my computer and now the errors have gone away completely! :)

Thanks everyone for all the help :)
Thanks for the update (and feedback!) Based on your info, I just added a final "Reboot" step to the storage device driver cleaning Guide steps!

Thanks for the feeback :)

Ah, glad I could help :)
I just hope the problem won't arise again when I start using that card reader at some point :p

Getting same Error on My Dell Inspiron 4010

Please help me.

I am getting the similar error \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 on running any program.

I have Win 7installed on my laptop.

The fix mentioned earlier on in the thread stops the errors coming up nicely, but when I use a memory stick again, they appear again, so I have to reclean : / (I'm running vista)

This doesnt happen on my laptop running vista or my brothers desktop running XP

I could not understand the phrase you have mentioned "I have to reclean"?? What reclean you refer too.. Can u possibly provide the resolution for Win 7 installed on my Dell Laptop.

I mean I have to run the driver clean program again, after I use any storage device, then restart if I want the error messages to not pop up again

I tried all the only solution is to reinstate the windows and cut and paste everything then run the disk clean up..

Back