igfxext.exe is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

underground185

Please help me, due to unknown reasons I had to reinstall windows (i did a repair) and in the installation process, this comes up.

"The file 'igfxext.exe' on Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Windows 2000/XP Installation Disk is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

Copy files from:

c:\windows\softwaredistributiodownload\install"

I have no clue where to find this, Ive searched the install disc and everything. I also try hitting cancel but it comes rigth back up. Please help me ASAP. I depend on this computer with all my school work.

You`ll probably find that file is on your motherboard disk.

If you haven`t got your mobo disk, don`t worry. Just skip the file for now. Once Windows has finished reinstalling, go to your mobo manufacturers website and download your chipset, and any other drivers you need.

Regards Howard :)

underground185 said:
It doesnt alow me to skip it.

Go to your mobo manufacturers website, and download all the chipset drivers.

Also download the display drivers etc. After unzipping them etc. Burn them to a cd.

igfxext.exe is a process installed alongside Intel based network hardware and is the Intel Common User Interface for Network Adapters.

Then, when Windows setup ask for the files. Take out the Windows disk, and insert your drivers disk. Tell windows where to look. Once the driver is loaded, replace your Windows disk. You may need to do this several times.

I dont know my mobo manufacturer, and how does this relate to the motherboard. Other forums keep telling me to skip this and either I dont know how or it doesnt work. I hit cancel and it comes back up.

If your computer is an oem build IE Dell/compaq/gateway etc.

You can get all the drivers from the computer manufacturers website.

If your computer is not an oem build. IE someone built it for you. You will need to go to the mobo manufacturers website for the drivers.

Since you can`t cancel Windows setup from asking for these drivers, you really do need to get them and burn them to a cd.

igfxext.exe driver file

Underground, I am having the same trouble...

Could you please let me know where you found igfxext.exe file? I searched Intel's website and I couldn't find it.

Thanks for your help.

If anyone else know anything about this, please let me know!

I ran into thhis problem too. I went to another Dell and copied the entire contents of the System32 folder (350 mb) to a CD. It will keep asking for Intel files if you just feed it igfxext.exe. On the second try, it accepted CD and copied the files. All of the files beginning with ig are the Intel files Windows wants, but just to be on the safe side, I copied all of them. Curse Dell for not including these files anywhere on their disks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

danpetitpas said:
I ran into thhis problem too. I went to another Dell and copied the entire contents of the System32 folder (350 mb) to a CD. It will keep asking for Intel files if you just feed it igfxext.exe. On the second try, it accepted CD and copied the files. All of the files beginning with ig are the Intel files Windows wants, but just to be on the safe side, I copied all of them. Curse Dell for not including these files anywhere on their disks.

Thanks for your input.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Here's what I did!

I realize I'm replying nearly two years later... but I just ran into the same problem. Here's how I fixed it... I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard (not a USB version). Fortunately, this happened on an old Dell Dimension 2350 that has both USB and PS/2 connections. I restarted the computer again and when it got to the part where it was stuck loading drivers and asked to "browse to location"... I was able to use the keyboard to erase what was in the box. I hit enter... and off it went! It continued loading. Once it finished, I unplugged the PS/2 keyboard... plugged back in the USB keyboard and mouse... restarted... and it found the USB versions as normal.

Couldn't believe it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back