Windows error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Emachine T2642. Had to replace bad motherboard. Now I get an error when my machine tries to load up, takes me to a screen that says my machine was powered down unexpectedly. Gives me options of loading windows in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, start with last know configuration or start windows normally. Any option that i choose gives me this error \windows\system32\config\system or it just reboots on me. I've tried to use the system disk that they give me to reinstall windows, and i still get the same error. What direction should i look in.

Windowssucks said:
What direction should i look in.
Here`s one possible direction,from HERE

Re: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM Help please

"This problem can be solved a little easier by getting hold of a copy of Barts Preinstalled Environment (BART PE):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4007.html

This will allow you to boot into a windows like environment and avoid a lot of the re-booting involved on the Microsoft support instructions.

1. Boot from the BART PE cd, (you might have to enable cd-booting in the BIOS).

2. Use the file manager to delete everything in the C:\windows\system32\config folder - or the command prompt if you are comfortable with it.

3. Using the file manager, go to the C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}\RPxxxx\Snapshot folder
(the long code is an example and use the RPxxx folder with the largest - most recent number)

4. Copy the following files:
• _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
• _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
• _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
• _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
• _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

5. Paste them into the C:\windows\system32\config folder

6. Rename the pasted files as follows:
• Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
• Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY
• Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE
• Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM
• Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM

7. Re-boot (removing the BART PE CD) into windows

8. Restore the PC to a previous restore point by:
Click Start, and then click All Programs. Click Accessories, and then click System Tools. Click System Restore, and then click Restore to a previous RestorePoint. (The most recent available should be OK).

I have just finished doing this on a system and it worked fine. Some of this solution makes reference to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 307545 :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 "

Please note :those are not Peddant`s words :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back