Help with Windows XP Home OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpak

My question is actually two (2) parts.

1) I have a HP Pavillion and have a new MOBO and CPU. I can't tattoo the MOBO cause the HP Tattoo Utility tells me the BIOS on the new MOBO is not supported. I only have the recovery discs for Windows XP and will run into the same prob with the MOBO tattoo. My question is, does someone have a step-by-step into creating a bootable Windows XP installation disc from the hard drive?

2) Will this circumvent the MOBO tattoo lock out?

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't really feel like buying a retail of the OS as I already paid for it when I bought the PC in the first place. If all else fails, I have the beta of Vista that I registered for when Microsoft had it up for download. Will it still work? I never activated the product key for Vista. My last option is to go the way of Linux. If it comes down to that, can someone recommend a good download.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

The only thing I can offer is steps I've used to completely format/re-install variuos HP's if you know folks with OEM XP cd's.

If you look on the case, you should be able to find the XP COA sticker. On the corner, it will have a series designation in the format of: X##. Where ## can be like 08, 09, 10, etc.etc.

If you can find someone with the proper install cd series, you can just mash it flat/re-install with their CD's and use your COA serial/re-activate.

Example- an Hp Pavillion with X09 series COA sticker.. just pop in any X09 series XP cd, boot, format/install, enter the serial from your COA sticker.. good to go.

If you can manage to hunt down/borrow same-series CD, you should be golden. Worst case will be when you try to activate it, you'll have to call Microsoft's 1-800 number, explain you've updated/reinstalled the PC and they'll give you a code to type-in, hassle free.

Unfortunately, don't know anyone with the same model as mine. In any case, I'm replacing the MOBO and CPU so I don't think that would help. I need to find a way install the OS and somehow circumvent HP's lock out.

My question is, does someone have a step-by-step into creating a bootable Windows XP installation disc from the hard drive?

Its best to start with a clean XP Pro retail disk to use as the setup source as most OEM setups found on the drives are to modified to create clean installs with the steps below without copy errors.

Files Needed From A Original HP Pro or Home OEM XP Install:

C:\Windows\system32\
OEMBIOS.BIN
OEMBIOS.DAT
OEMBIOS.SIG

C:\Windows\system32\Catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
OEMBIOS.CAT

Files Needed If You Have An Original HP XP Pro or Home OEM Restore Disk:

I386 folder:

OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_

Create a clean, bootable HP SLP XP SP2 PRO OEM CDR:

Step 1: CD Source

A: Get a clean (non oem) XP Pro retail cd

B. Copy the entire contents of this cd to a folder called OEM in the root of drive C and slipstream with SP2 if not already done.

How To Slipstream SP2 and Create Bootable CD

Step 2: Convert The Retail XP to HP PRO OEM SLP

A. Create a SETUPP.INI and OOBEINFO.INI file.

Create a empty text file and copy the info below inside, save changes, and rename to SETUPP.INI

[Pid]
ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
Pid=76487OEM

Create a empty text file and copy the info in quotes below inside, save changes, and rename to OOBEINFO.INI

[StartupOptions]
StartUrl=
Registration=1
Offline=1
ScreenResolutionCheck=1
AdminPW=1

[options]
MouseTutorial=0
RemoveOwner=1
IntroOnly=0
INTL_Settings=0
OemCust=0
NoIspPreconfig=1

[OEMRegistrationPage]
OEMAddRegPage=0
PostToOEM=0
RegPostURL=

[Signup]
ISPSignup=None
OfferCode=0
Locales=1,81
IDLocales=1,81,33,49,107,61,44

[Version]
ProductKey="DMQBW-V8D4K-9BJ82-4PCJX-2WPB6"

B. Create a WINNT.SIF Setup answer file.

Create a empty text file and copy the info below inside, save changes, and rename to WINNT.SIF

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
AutomaticUpdates=yes

[Unattended]
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
WaitForReboot="No"
Repartition=No
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=0
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=DMQBW-V8D4K-9BJ82-4PCJX-2WPB6
FullName="HPXPPRO"
OrgName=""
ComputerName=HPXPPRO

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1024
YResolution=768
Vrefresh=60

[SystemRestore]
DisableSR=1
CreateFirstRunRp=0

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

Home_Page=http://www.google.com ...INNT.SIF info and fixed some typo's**[/COLOR]

First of all a big thank you to Howie for the information provided in this thread.

I was able to use the information provided to create a SLP BIOS locked CD for my HP Pavilion PC.

For the benefit of others, I used an XP Pro generic OEM CD (for a Dell machine, though I left out the $OEM$ folder) and replaced the Dell OEMBIOS files on the CD for HP Pavilion ones obtained from the OEM Repository http://www.oembios.net/ as I did not have the original media and the image partition was deleted long ago to create additional disk space.

I used Pid=55274OEM as was on the Dell CD (in the setupp.ini file) as opposed to the one suggested here and that also seems to work as I did not need to activate.

AS my PC was an HP Pavilion my Motherboard already had the right BIOS so I did not need to use the DMI236 utility either.

I also tweaked my winnt.sif further by consulting the winnt.sif reference page at http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/19/

I also took the opportunity to create a slipstreamed SP2 CD and include all the microsoft patches issued since SP2 upto 2007-05-06. I did this using TommyP's HFSLIP which can be found at http://hfslip.org/hflists.html.

So thanks to this post I have a bang upto date slipstreamed SLP BIOS locked CD for my HP Pavilion.

I hope this is useful to others.

you can get true image 10.0 imaging software from acronis that makes an exact copy of a hard drive to another one.

Powerquest Drive Image is also able to create such images. However, I do not see what it has to do with creating an Install CD.

This thread is NOT about image creation.

RE-tattoo Mobo

Hi Howie
Is this the same way for Compaq Systems too?
I have a Compaq Presario6410nx which I changed the Motherboard/Processor
couple of months ago. When I started the system, I noticed that as soon as
windows XP wants to start, system reboots automatically.
I called the Mobo Factory and they said I must reinstall Windows again.
I tried my Compaq Restore CDs but system gave me the error right after rebooting that " These CDs are good for Compaq PC only". I found out that the CDs no longer recognize my PC as Compaq anymore (because of the new Mobo)

I bought a new XP Home from a hand for cheap price and installed it. It works very well but found out it is not supported by MS (as probably not a legal copy) when I tried to upgrade my IE to version 7.
I called Copmpaq to see how I can use the CDs with my new Mobo. They said I need to Re-tattoo my Mobo by entering the Serial Number on the PC sticker into the BIOS. I then found out the the authorized dealers they addressed me are either don't do that or are very far away and not cost effective.

My question to you is that is this the same way to edit the BIOS for Compaq Systems too. If it is, what change I should do to those strings for you mentioned for HP Pavilion (DMI236 /sm "HP PavilionHewlett-Packard")?

Thanks
mashti

Tattoo my sys-hp m400y

dear howie
i need some help i am new to THIS site and can you help me i have replacement my HP Media Center m400y (D7222P) CTO Desktop PC AND I AM GETTING THIS CODE PURPLE AND HOW TO TATTOO THE MOTHERBOARD

PLZ HELP ME -
I WENT TO BESTBUY-STAPLES-ETC TO HELP ME RETATTOO MY SYS AND TOLD ME IT WIL COST $300.00 AND UP AND DEPEND MY ERRORS-ETC
AND TOLD THEM -F---K YOU ---AND YOU ARE CRAZY --I M NOT GOING TO SPEND $300 FOR RETATTOO MY SYS

TONY

I was able to use this to make a OEM disk for a Tosiba A8-EZ8313.

1. I changed the SLP key listed here to the one on the bottom of my Laptop. I entered it when asked to do so during the install, and after the install I had to activate over the internet. Is there a fix for this? Not that I minded activating it! I do not have a complete understanding of the code written, so I did not dare to begin to change it. At least I could install the oembios files without the failure to activate software screen.

2. I used CL-Tools 4Win
to compress my files as makecab. pretty slick!

3 I first tride this method siginetsoftware dot com but got an error during and then blue screens after the install.

This may have been an error on my part, but the posting here worked for me the first time.

Thanks Howie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back