¿maybe my memory-slot damaged?

By ungua
Mar 27, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. actually, i was used to a pc with 160mb-ram - which is 32 + 128. now i own a faster one with one single 512mb-slot. but unfortunately, some problems occur: gta3 is collapsing all the time, i cannot copy a normal 1024x768 .tga-image to clipboard via corel (»low memory«) and after watching some freshly downloaded quake3-bots i got the message »low memory«, too. sometimes, even some multitasking surfing can bring me up to fully busy memory - is this a technical problem or am i asking for too much power!? i heard something like this memory-damage would lead to the problems i have.
    speaking against it is a rather stable quake3 while in game and a fascinating stable 1nsane played also in 1280x1024 - without any stinky problem.

thanks and regards,
    ungua

Attached Files:

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

The memory module might be faulty or motherboard might not support 512M modules
  3. ungua

ungua Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 69

:rolleyes:
  4. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

Does it read as 512mb during POST?

Check your pagefile settings. If you have disabled the pagefile or have it locked to a very low amount there is a possibliity it could be causing this.
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

I said might be because I'm not 100% sure, I'm just guessing based on the symptoms. I can't tell that this and that doesn't work because of this, period.

Another thing you could try - but I'm not sure if it helps - is to edit %windir%\system.ini. Edit / insert the following lines into [vcache] section:

MinFileCache=32768
    MaxFileCache=32768
    ChunkSize=1024
  6. ungua

thanks for replying!

@Mictlantecuhtli, what does this change and do!? i wasn't willing to criticise you, i found it just funny... ;)
    what is »POST«!? at startup i have quickstart activated, the ram-checking works well if i activate it.
    now, after installing gta3 again, it collapses after about 20 minutes. playing cnc generals against a friend, the connection interrupted when i had an army of 942 battlemaster-tanks moving towards him, he blamed it on my pc's power. actually, we built the very same pc, except he has water cooling and some 100gb more hd-space. :(

regards,
    ungua
  7. Mictlantecuhtli

Min & MaxFileCache (not case sensitive, by the way) limit Windows disk cache size, a bit like smartdrive in MS-DOS. Usually, doing this leaves more free memory for applications.

POST = Power-On Self Test, includes the ram-checking you mentioned.
  8. ungua

thank you very much. is this the same as the swap-file? i have limited this to 512mb, too. too less!? :blush:

regards,
    ungua
  9. ungua

changed the swap-file to 1024mb, no perceivable changes for games and stuff... :dead:

regards,
    ungua
  10. ungua

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.