“Stand by” mode issues - running XP SP3

skoscielak

“Stand by” mode issues - running XP SP3

I have been plagued by this issue for years and have narrowed it down, or so I believe.

My issue – I almost always use stand by mode. I have since I started using a computer. I only have this issues on my laptop. It is totally random, but sometimes coming out of stand by the laptop will reboot.

I believe this is a Facebook issue as only when I have Facebook open in a tab and go into standby, the laptop will reboot.

If I do not open FB I have no issues! Crazy I know. Anyone have any ideas?

I have ran many many times
SUPERAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes
Spybot - Search & Destroy
CCleaner
Avast

And found no issues. It’s not the battery as sometime the laptop is in standby for several days and come out fine.

Seems like it could be a Java/Flash issues rather then a standby issue? I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling both your Java and Flash players (I believe facebook uses both?) After that, load up facebook and try and re-create the issues again.

The only other thing I can think of trying is resetting all your browser settings, clearing out cookies, history, saved information about the browser and the websites you've been to and trying, or an alternative would be download another web browser and see if it still happens on that one..

If you have any progress or extra information, post back and I'll think more about it.

The only other thing I can think of trying is resetting all your browser settings, clearing out cookies, history, saved information about the browser and the websites you've been to and trying, or an alternative would be download another web browser and see if it still happens on that one..

Done all this many times and still have the issues

What about the reinstallation of both Java and Flash players?

Can't believe this didn't come to me the first time, after this issue happens go into:

Right click My Computer Go to Manage then on the left hand side, select Event Viewer, from there, check both the Application and System, look for any Errors or Warnings that happen (Most likely this will be errors as it results in a reboot of the laptop) Please post back with anything that is shown there.

Event Log 6005 in Event Viewer System, is the Event Log Start.
If you therefore find that, the following entries in System should help with the reboot cause..
I also think I would run system file checker.
Start, run, type
"sfc /scannow" without quotes and note space betwen sfc and /
You may be asked to insert the XP Cd if there are system files that cannot be repaired from the restore files or the cache.
If all is in order SFC will not report a result it will simply close.

Coming out of standbye with facebook running will instantly start trying to use the internet. Possibly there is a timing error in the network driver - network messages starting before the PC has verified the connection for instance. I suggest checking for an updated network driver.

The problem could also have to do with your firewall and anti-virus, anti-spyware etc. If you really want to track this down (instead of just closing FB before putting the PC into standby !), you could experiment with alternative anti-virus, firewall etc. What are you running at the moment?

Coming out of standbye with facebook running will instantly start trying to use the internet. Possibly there is a timing error in the network driver - network messages starting before the PC has verified the connection for instance. I suggest checking for an updated network driver.

The problem could also have to do with your firewall and anti-virus, anti-spyware etc. If you really want to track this down (instead of just closing FB before putting the PC into standby !), you could experiment with alternative anti-virus, firewall etc. What are you running at the moment?

SUPERAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes
Avast

Malware bytes - is that running all the time? If so there is a possible conflict with Avast anti-virus. And/or SUPERantiSpyware too.

Where is your firewall?

Please try running without both SAS and MWB active during a period in which you standby whilst still running FaceBook and restart

Would any other users care to comment on possible conflicts between continuously-running protection software ?

I very much doubt MBAM is running on real time protection as well as Avast, the real time protection on MBAM is of course not available on the free edition and if he has bought it and running it I would have expected him to be reporting many more problems than this.

As gbhall is of course entirely correct two running together will usually negate each other and cause all sorts of problems.

and a quote from MBAM forum
You should never have more than one anti-virus program installed at a time. They can conflict and cause system freezes, lock-ups, and having more than one can even lower your system security.

Back