1.5V vs 3.3V Video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathos696

video card voltage

My mobo seys next to the AGP slot that if i put in a 3.3 volt video card it will damage my board. Does the voltage of the card relate to the speed it runs at, AKA 1.5V=4x, 3.3V=8x?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You need to buy a new video card. Any agp 1.5 volt card should be ok. Do not buy a 3.3 volt card, as this will fry your mobo.

The voltage of the card does not affect it`s ability to run at either 4, or 8 times agp.

Obviously the ammount you spend will depend on what you want to use the card for.

If you use the search facility at the top of any page you will find lots of recommendations for videocards.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Agp 4x or 8x does not refer to two different types of slot.

It refers to the speed of the slot as being either 4x or 8x.

If your mobo supports agp 8X then a 4x agp videocard would work in the 8x agp slot. All it would do is not run quite as fast as an 8x agp videocard.

Regards Howard :)

not what i'm talking about

my old mobo had an agp slot like this

----------------------------------------
...........\\\ <-- divider
---------------------------------------

my new one has Two AGP's like this

----------------------------------------
............divider --> ///
---------------------------------------

the video card i found looks like it would fit in both but it is a 3.3 would and would fry my motherboard, so why make it fit?

What makes you think that the card you gave the link for is a 3.3 volt card?

I can`t find any reference to it being a 3.3 volt card.

Also the two versions that the card is made in is either agp, or pci.

Your mobo manual will tell you what cards it supports.

Regards Howard :)

looked on the net

i was on the internet for about an hour and i finally found a link that i thought said it was a 3.3v card (it was very late) i'll try to find it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back