1.8" SSD, SSD External Enclosure (2.5")

By ComputerGuy55
Oct 8, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, so I got a question. Friends laptop got screwed, and it wont boot because the power plug on it got busted, guess battery is dead or it shorts out there, what ever, not really relevent lol.

I was looking up an External SSD Enclosure, from here: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CTsk01

and the laptop is an Acer Aspire ONE with the Linux OS. The drive in it is an SSD but it is only 1.8".

Anyone know if it is possible to hook up the 1.8" SSD drive to the external kit? If I tore open the kit and just use it bare.
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

There are at least four types of 1.8" drives, but the ones I use are unusual shapes. We have several laptops with the 1.8" drive and the ARE different. The drive connector plugs and sockets are on the side, not on the end.
    I have never seen an enclosure for a 1.8 drive, so if you find them, please past so we can also buy some.
  3. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

I've used this 1.8" enclosure to get data from a failed Panasonic camcorder. It definitely does not feel high quality, but hey...it worked for me.
  4. ComputerGuy55

ComputerGuy55 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 529

Only thing is will this work with a SSD? (solid state drive) Because I need it for that.
  5. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Doesn't work in a EIDE or SATA laptop though. Right?

New Egg says it has only a LIF/ZIF connector... nothing for EIDE
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.