1 long beep, 3 short beeps, dead graphics processor

Hello, this is my first post, so please accept my apologies for poor etiquette.

I have an ASUS Z77-V LX motherboard with an i5-3570K. I have 4 x 4GB DDR3 memory sticks in it, although I've tried all individually and in pairs and the behaviour is the same. So I don't believe that the RAM is the problem. I dual boot Win10 and Ubuntu. By default the system boots to Ubuntu 18.04.

When I power the system on, I initially get 1 beep for passing the POST, then 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps. After this the system constantly restarts. I get no display output. According to https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1029959/ this indicates that there is a graphics error.

I have been using the integrated graphics on the CPU so far, which, if it is the GPU that is the problem has suggested to me that I could try one of three options.
1) Reseat CPU. I have tried this and the behaviour has been the same. (I haven't got any thermal paste to hand, so that might help if I replace the paste.)
2) Add a dedicated graphics card. This doesn't convince me as if there's a problem with the integrated GPU it seems likely that there is a problem with the CPU.
3) Replace CPU.

Does anybody have an experience of this odd fault who can help or advise?

Many thanks

Jim

I do not have direct experience with your setup, but I would check CPU power connection. Check your manual, but I think it is the 8-pin in the upper left.

Borrow a graphics card to make sure the cpu is really at fault.
If the mobo has no problems switching to dedicated graphics card automatically.
It is most likely a cpu problem and it will need to be replaced.
If it refuses to toggle to the dedicated gpu, run your computer to a computer shop.
Have them run a test on the cpu and mobo, test the cpu on a different computer to see what happens.

Last edited:
Back