10 years on, time to rebuild! Any advice on my Battlefield 1 spec?

Tommygunn

Tens years have passed and now I want to play the likes of Battlefield 1 and other games. How does my selection/spec stack up to this need?
Can I cut back on price or should I cut back on spec somewhere to increase spec elsewhere.
I've included the best price for each item, in Euros, so you can get an idea of my budget.

CPU: Intel i5 7600K €205.10
GPU: Sapphire RX 580 (4Gb) €264.90
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z270-Gaming K3 €117.00
RAM: G.Skill F4-3000C15D-8GRK (2x8Gb) €80.50
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb €85.30
Monitor: Samsung S24F350FHU (Freesync, yes, only 60Hz €119.98

Concerning the monitor, should I seriously consider getting a 144Hz screen and for gaming stick with TN or go with one of the other techs?

Cheers,
Tom.

I will list you my spec list and explain why I chose them. Sorry for no prices, but the budget should be around that.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600. Have a same perfomance as an I5 (even when both are overclocked) but Ryzen 5 1600 feature 2 more cores and 8 more threads which is useful in most non-gaming tasks.
GPU: If you can try to find a used RX 580 with 8 gigs of memory at least for the same price. Now there are not much games which actually needs that much memory except Resident Evil 7, but I think more will come in future so 8 gigs can safe you in future. But 4 gigs is enough for Battlefield 1 anyway.
Mb: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3
Ram: your choice is ok and even more appropriate for a Ryzen cpu, which is really more ram-dependent than I5.
SSD: your choice is ok, I am using a 120Gb one, runs good for me.
Monitor: 144Hz monitor is required only with more powerful GPUs or if you play competitive shooters a lot, whch are mostly not gpu-heavy (Overwatch, CS:GO and Dirty Bomb). For Battlefield 1 I recommend going with Ultrawide monitor like LG 29UM69G-B. Check out below how cooler the game looks in 21:9.

Last edited:
Aphidness,
Thanks for your reply. I've been converted and I've shifted to other components, and they are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: XFX RX 580 8Gb
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Monitor: Samsung LC24FG73FQUXEN (144Hz FreeSync)

Concerning the monitor, thanks for the advice and I certainly did research the LG monitors and 21:9 is certainly a boon. However, I have to go back to 144Hz and due to my budget I cannot stretch to such a size and still have all the specs I'm after.

Cheers,
Tom.

Back