100º cores and WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I have had trouble with my PC since I can remember. It was (and is) my first custom assembled desktop.

I'll say it now as it's a recurrent theme. Any BSOD I have had since I first turned on this PC has contained WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, giving me a good headache. It's time I end this.

First, the specs:

- Mobo Maximus Ranger VII Updated to 3003
- I7 4770K @ 3.5Ghz. Stock cooler
- 4x4GB Dual G.Skill DDR3 667Mhz
- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970 OC
- PSU NOX NX 750W https://www.nox-xtreme.com/en/power-supplies/nx-750w
- Sharkoon BD28 case
- Windows 10 Pro Updated to 19042

Now, the problem:

At times when the pc gets too busy, like many different applications open, or while gaming, it will freeze, then BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Sometimes the bios will show "CPU too hot" message afterwards.
For gaming it happens when I'm playing like GTA V/Watch Dogs 2/SMITE and is not happening with games like WoW/Hollow Knight/A ghost of a tale.

The CPU gets up to 100º, and idles at 70º, reaching 100º as soon as with 60% load. It doesn't seem to be faulty sensors as both MoBo and CPU report it. Air coming from the inside of the pc is warm, not too hot.
Overrall I have also noticed a longer loading/response time on everything. It's not killer but it's not instantaneous either.

What I have tried:
- Cleaning dust from CPU/case fans.
- Got 3 case fans and "directing" airflow correctly.
- Reapplying (second time this year) thermal paste (ZP). I make sure it's not too much.
- Pressing down the fan on the CPU to make sure it makes contact, last time I removed the fan I saw the thermal paste pressed circle on the CPU so I understand I'm doing it right.
- Checking the voltage from the BIOS to the CPU, seems correct (around 1.15v).

Tests I have done:
- I have run memtest86 on each RAM stick twice two different years. Complete tests. No problems found.
- I have run Intelburn test at max RAM during 20 minutes. The temps go up to 100% but it doesn't crash.
- I have run Kombustor on my GPU just in case https://gpuscore.top/msi/kombustor/show.php?id=825748

And most relevant steps I have had taken in the past:

- I have resetted windows 10 twice on 6 months (keeping personal files). It hasn't really helped.
- Sometimes my RAM would show as 8gb instead of 16gb. Last time this happened applying thermal paste to the CPU fixed it.
- WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR has showed up intermitently the past couple of years for a duration. Applying thermal paste would fix it.
- I updated my BIOS from stock to 3003.

From the start I though it was a RAM problem, but now it just seems I'm closer to the truth.
Is it an actual CPU problem? How do I fix it? Thank you.

Attachments

• 1616457545499.png
    1616457545499.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 1
Don't put it off any longer..,.change that cooler ! I'm 99% sure that if you do that a put a thin layer of thermal paste on the CPU in a X pattern your problems will go away. If you are not sure a local PC shop can do this for you very cheaply (It's easy work).

Hey, thanks for the advice. Finally my temps are down! It doesn't go higher than from 75º under load, and it reached 100º only when I ran IntelBurnTest for 10 minutes.

I have seen an improvement from 60º on rest to 40º and sometimes even lower. You hit the bullseye there.

For the info of any other reader, I bought a new big cooler on the 40$ range and some fancy thermal paste just in case for 8$, anything to make it cooler.

Hey, thanks for the advice. Finally my temps are down! It doesn't go higher than from 75º under load, and it reached 100º only when I ran IntelBurnTest for 10 minutes.

I have seen an improvement from 60º on rest to 40º and sometimes even lower. You hit the bullseye there.

For the info of any other reader, I bought a new big cooler on the 40$ range and some fancy thermal paste just in case for 8$, anything to make it cooler.
Good to hear! =)

The stock cooler is good enough for stock speeds, or they wouldn't include them with the CPU. I'm not sure if you bought a new one or not, but Kshipper was correct with it almost certainly was a CPU paste issue or just an improperly seated heatsink. Really only replying so others that may see this don't think they have to buy an aftermarket heatsink.

Back