100% CPU Usage in Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjanien

I am having a problem with a notebook computer. The CPU usage after boot up stays at 100% without any applications running. It is interfereing with getting the computer on the internet. The biggest CPU Time users are svchost.exe, system Idle Process, WinMgmt.exe, taskmgr.exe, Explorer.exe. The program svchost.exe appears to be the only program clocking CPU time almost continuously.

Svchost.exe is listed 3 times in the processes list but only one is clocking all the cpu time.

Any ideas as to what is wrong and what I should do?

Thanks,

CJ

System Idle Process is normal to have the CPU at about 90something% (which means your system is idle = not doing anything) Its strange but it does make sense :)

Downlaod Process Explorer and find out where they are originating from and check with google if they're at the right directory.

It may also be unwanted wares, in which case i want you to have a run through these and try and follow all of the instructions:

Follow these instructions BEFORE posting your HJT log.

Before following any other instructions, go and read this thread HERE.

Post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread. I`ll take a look and advise.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of cjanien only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Tried all of the instructions and scans. Aawsepersonal.exe picked up an adware program; Spybot caught another two.
However the CPU Usage History is pegged at 98 to 100%. svchost.exe is using 69 to 75% of the CPU.

The System Idle Process has used 0:01:22 vs the svchost.exe that has used 0:34:01.

Why would svchost.exe use so much of th CPU time continuously?

Will run HJT and post results.

OK. Here is the HJT log and ewido report.

Didn't seem to attach but got it now.

CJ

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 6
Please go back to the link I gave you and read the instructions fully.

Post a fresh HJT log, only after doing the above.

Howard,

I have followed all of the instructions up to the point of using Hijack to "fix" or end the listed processes. I have done the following:

Run SmitFraudFix
Next run Vundofix
Next run VirtumundoBeGone
Next run Look2me Destroyer. (unable to download)
Next run AboutBuster.
Next run CWShredder.
Next run AdAware,

The log I have provided was created after running the above programs. Do you want me to continue with the fix through Hijack This as listed in the stickey note?

BTW, I was unable to run Look2me Destroyer.

CJ

You didn`t read the part that says "Rename HijackThis.exe to HijackThis1991.exe" That`s what I was referring to. The reason you need to rename HJT, is because some malware can hide from the ordinary HJT exe file.

Sorry, I didn't see the very first line of the sticky note (perhaps I'm color blind).

I renamed HijackThis.exe to HijackThis1991.exe and then ran the program. Attached is the log file.

I still have not "fixed" anything with HijackThis as I am relying on the experts here to diagnose the problem and direct me in its use.

Thanks for your help,

CJ

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

Other than the above, your HJT log is clean.

However, it appears you`re not running any antivirus or firewall software. This is a huge security risk.

Download and install the free AVG antivirus programme and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes. You can get them HERE, HERE and HERE.

Install whichever firewall you chose, followed by AVG and reboot your system the required number of times. Run the AVG updates.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Run a full system scan with AVG and delete whatever it finds. This included anything in the virus vault.

Reboot into normal mode, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

If you still have the same problem, it may be caused by some faulty software. Go and read this thread HERE

This thread is for the use of cjanien only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Howard,

It appears that my computer is again acting normal. THe Idle Process is at 80-95% when nothing else is running. SVCHOST.EXE is no longer eating all the CPU time.

Installed firewall and AV and ran AV and HJT once again. Do you see anything not normal?

Thanks for all of your help!

CJ

Your HJT log is clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, pleas post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back