100% usage and locking up during reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago, I noticed that while using Windows XP and surfing the web, my cursor would begin slowing down and "skipping" across the screen. When I opened task manager, I immediately noticed 100% usage, although I did not notice any particular application taking up a significant portion of memory. However, there were applications (such as MSN messager, AOL IM, etc) that were listed in the task manager as having memory allocated to them, even though neither of these programs were being used by me at the time. I tried restarting the computer, but it was sooooooo slow that I ended up just hard rebooting. During the screen with the little blue scroll bar loading XP, it would "freeze" and not boot up. I was able to boot in safe mode, but not regular.

I took it to the computer store, they restored Windows to the factory setting, backed up all my programs, and the laptop worked fine for about a week, when the exact problem happened again. I took it back in to repair this morning.

I am thinking either there is a registry problem or some sort of spyware/malware hidden on my laptop causing these issues. When I ran Norton, nothing came up. When the tech guy reinstalled the original factory settings, would this have wiped out any existing virus/spyware that was on my laptop? Or would it still have been there afterwards? Is there another program besides Norton that would clean up whatever the issue is?

On a side note, is it possible that the VAIO overheating would cause this problem?

Thanks

David

Hello DavidT.Welcome to Techspot:)

First we want to rule out the spyware possibility.
Go HERE and follow the instructions,then post an HJT log in the Security and the Web forum.
It may look a bit complicated,but it`s not really.

As an additional suggestion,get rid of AOL and Norton as quickly as possible.
Those cause as many problems as spyware.

Alternative to Norton?

Thanks. So you are recommending I get rid of Norton entirely (i.e. delete and do not bother re-installing it)?

Is there another anti-virus program you recommend that is not susceptible to these viruses?

The best way to avoid spyware and viruses is to use common sense about clicking
on things and downloading things.

I would uninstall Norton and download AVG
It won`t stop any more viruses than Norton, but causes a lot fewer problems.

Use ZONE ALARM firewall

Use FIREFOX or OPERA instead of IE

Use EWIDO SPYBOT AD-AWARE and SPYWARE BLASTER .

All the above are tried and trusted programs,used by the majority of people in the know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back