10k rpm hard drive, 20 min windows XP load time.. wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwingz

Ok so I used to have:
<Mobo= MSI K8N Neo4-f, Cpu= AMD Athlon 64 2.0ghz, Ram= 1gig DDR>

last week I bought the upgrades:
<Mobo= ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe, Cpu= AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.6ghz, Ram= 4gigs of DDR2>

With both set-ups I had a WD Raptor 10k rpm hard drive with windows XP
loaded on it. with the previous set up I would start up my computer and it
would load to my log in, in under 8 seconds. with the new set up, it takes
more than 25 minutes and the loading bar on the loading screen is slower.
I haven't installed anything that could cause a virus so im not sure what
could be doing this.
:confused:
on a side note..
my cdr/dvdr drives haven't been working either. it acts
like it can read them and it will eject the trays from inside windows, but yet when I put a disk in, it cannot read it. so with this said.. I havent been able to install any mobo drivers other than my chipset and audio drivers which I managed to get off of a flash drive and my laptop. could this be causing both issues?

anyone have any suggestions for either of these problems?

you cannot use windows installed and configured for 1 system motherboard and use it on another.

1. It's illegal and a violation of your license agreement.

2. Windows configures itself for each individual system. Trying to use a boot hard drive installed and configured for 1 motherboard will result in a crash on another.

You will need to reformat and reinstall windows. Take your data that you want to keep and move it off line.

ok so I did go ahead and reinstall XP and to no avail. its still taking forever to load. I got my cd/dvd player to start working so I got every driver installed and active, only thing now is the slow loading.

"every driver" means "the latest versions from the internet including everything from the motherboard maker", I hope.

Look over your BIOS settings and the HD controller properties in Device Manager and make sure DMA is enabled. In BIOS, check that the SATA controller is not in ATA compatibility mode.

ok so I looked at the bios settings and yes I have DMA turned on for IDE but it doesnt give me the option for SATA. when I checked the SATA menu it didnt give me an option for ATA compatibility. another thing I should point out is that I did turn off RAID so that I could boot. when it was on I kept getting the error "Detect Drives Done, No Any Drive Found". so any other ideas?

Basically, the problem stems from the different chipsets involved and the drivers you loaded for board number may not be the same drivers for board number 2 and thus things don't work like they should.

Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to research that issue and resolve it.

I choose not to accept it... because I fixed the problem lol. I realized that even though there are 5 power plugs coming from one cord out of my PSU I shouldnt hook up 2 hard drives and a dvd drive. so I put the hard drive on its own strand and it loaded xp in 4 seconds =P so it looks like it was a pretty simple fix lol thanx for the brainstorming tho

Nodsu said:
1. Bull****
2. True (sometimes)

1.) Wrong (Sometimes)
2.) True (more than sometimes) :)

Windows XP OEM is tied to your board - it is non-transferable to another system board or to another party and it is the copy that most of us use. XP Retail is transferrable to both another party (one-time) and to a new system board (unlimited). XP Upgrade is the same as Retail as I understand, but is also subject to the EULA of the previous version of Windows you will be upgrading (I'm not as schooled with older versions).

I hope that clarifies things.

LOL - I was preparing my answer and got called away for a Looooonnnggg time - anyway, what I said applies to changing mobos where the new one is a different chipset.

Good you worked it out.

Some mobos allow for a staggered spin-up of drives to ease the psu strain - worth checking if your new one does.

Rick said:
Windows XP OEM is tied to your board - it is non-transferable to another system board or to another party and it is the copy that most of us use.
So when, say, the mobo of my OEM system fries, I am not allowed to replace it? Not is the manufacturer allowed to replace it under warranty? That would break a law, wouldn't it?

Have you read the EULA? Could you post the part that says it is tied to the motherboard? My copy says "The SOFTWARE is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single integrated product and may only be used with the COMPUTER."

If we were to follow this to the letter, you are not allowed to replace anything at all.

Nodsu said:
1. Bull****
2. True (sometimes)
1. read your license agreement. You can Re-register windows, but you cannot use XP on more than 1 motherboard at a time legally.

Nodsu said:
So when, say, the mobo of my OEM system fries, I am not allowed to replace it? Not is the manufacturer allowed to replace it under warranty? That would break a law, wouldn't it?
Yes, indeed. Microsoft's fine print is by no means lenient or even practical.

Have you read the EULA?
Yes - all of them - although a lawyer might understand the EULAs better. :) The OEM EULA in particular leaves some open-ended questions like what exactly constitutes a 'computer' and when does it no longer become a 'single integrated product'? I've not only read the EULAs for each product in an attempt to understand them, but I've done some research to figure out the details. It's been important because XP has played such a large role in my work for the past several years for both myself and the places I've worked. I will share with you my conclusions.

Could you post the part that says it is tied to the motherboard? My copy says "The SOFTWARE is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single integrated product and may only be used with the COMPUTER."
This is the smoking gun, as you've pointed out part of this yourself:
Code:
    * Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer.  
      THIS LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED,
      TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY
      ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS.  The SOFTWARE
      is licensed with the HARDWARE as a single integrated
      product and may only be used with the HARDWARE.  If the
      SOFTWARE is not accompanied by new HARDWARE, you may
      not use the SOFTWARE.  You may permanently transfer all
      of your rights under this EULA only as part of a
      permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided
      you retain no copies, if you transfer all of the SOFTWARE
      (including all component parts, the media and printed
      materials, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate
      of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms
      of this EULA.  If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any
      transfer must also include all prior versions of the
      SOFTWARE.

It is starkly contrasted by the Retail EULA's transfer rights:
Code:
    You may move the Product to a different
    Workstation Computer.  After the transfer, you must
    completely remove the Product from the former Workstation
    Computer.  Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the
    Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to
    another end user.  The transfer has to include all
    component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and
    if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity.  The
    transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a
    consignment.  Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving
    the transferred Product must agree to all the EULA terms. 
    No Rental.  You may not rent, lease, lend or provide
    commercial hosting services to third parties with the
    Product.

The EULA doesn't say 'motherboard' specifically, but system board is implied according to various sources online. From what I've read, the 'motherboard' is what defines a computer to MS. However, if you take the OEM EULA literally, your XP install is married to THAT partiticular motherboard. This 'legally' means even if you replace it with the same model... same revision... you're f#$^%d. The EULA fails to define exceptions for repairs, upgrades etc.. So we can only guess. Here's a random link that addresses this:
"Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the customer may maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. Unless upgraded or replaced under warranty, if the motherboard is upgraded, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required. The original Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to another computer." -- Microsoft SMB team http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm
Given the inconsistency that MS has shown with OEM transferability though, this is certainly not concrete. If a concrete answer is what we'd like, then look to these sources...
MSDN said:
"Not all licenses have transfer rights included in them. In fact, OEM licenses do NOT have transfer rights included in them."
http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/archive/2007/11/01/5821322.aspx

"Can I uninstall my OEM software from one machine and install it on a new or replacement machine?
- ANSWER: No. OEM software has no transferability of license rights. This is not new and has been the case for a long, long, long, time. Look in your End-User License Agreement (EULA) for your OEM software. You will notice it does not include Transferability of License Rights. This is just one of the many differences between OEM and Retail or Volume License software."
http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/archive/2005/06/06/425681.aspx

If we were to follow this to the letter, you are not allowed to replace anything at all.
I share your feelings. Microsoft's licensing policies are Nazi at best. But the reality is if you call up the MS activation center, they will be happy to give you a valid activation code upon the claim that the system is being upgraded or repaired. This doesn't make it legitimate necessarily, but this kind of validation makes it especially OK in my opinion. I have no remorse or concern for moving an OEM install to a new computer because not only is it morally correct (IMO) but the activation hot line allows it. That's difficult to argue with, EULA or not.

Below are the EULAs straight off of my XP discs (SP1). All of my SP2 discs are slipstreamed versions and the EULAs do not change. They could be different on retail discs, since I know MS has had some changes to their OEM policies since SP1.

When you buy and install Windows, then you are presented with the EULA and you either accept or decline. You are not supposed to go online and see if there are any arbitrary invisible extra clauses.

IMO as Rick said - if the Microsoft drones let you activate it, it's legal. And I'm pretty sure that they let you activate it exactly because of that - the EULAs are ambiguous blobs of legalese that wouldn't work in any court case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back