TechSpot

120mm or 2 80mm?

By Haretto
Aug 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On the front of the X-Alien Aspire case, there are 2 fans behind the front case grill, and i see that it has holes in a pattern made for either 2 80s, 1 120, or some other combos.. but do you think i would get more air flowing through if i replaced the 2 80mm with a 120mm?
  2. 1000cc

1000cc TS Rookie Posts: 83

if they fit YES 120mm are far better than 80mm if you want move lots of air medium speed Panaflow or Delta . also 120mm make far less noise at medium and high speed.
  3. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

12cm = 144cm^2 fan area
    8cm = 64cm^2 fan area
    2x8cm = 128cm^2 fan area

From this, I'd conclude having a single 12cm fan better than 2 8cm fans :p

Of course I'm joking about how I reach my conclusion, but a single 12cm fan is still better. You can easily get 80cfm off a 12cm fan, but 40cfm from an 8cm fan probably is pushing its limits.

There are 120cfm 12cm fans out there too, but lemme warn you, a jet engine is probably the only thing louder than that.
  4. 1000cc

Get 2 Delta 3 BLADE 60 CFM they are not as loud as the other crapy high speed 80mm fans you need a speed controler to back them off just a little = And call me in the morning . Dont mix medicine. http://www.subzeropcs.com/delta_dph_80mm_x_38mm_high_speed_triple_blade_deep_impact_fan.html

Attached Files:

5. nein

nein Banned Posts: 226

I suggest you get the most powerful 80mm fans you can buy, using them as I do by following this thread and you won't have to worry about noise, in addition to effective quiet cooling you'll also get automatic failure recovery.
  6. Haretto

Haretto TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

I dont care about noise.. I have ear issues where i hear ringing in complete silense, so noise for me is good.

But.. so having a 120mm is better then 2 80mm? My comp has 2 80s right now but i noticed i can fit a 120mm in there while i was cleaning them and had to ask.
  7. 1000cc

120mm move more air with less speed = with higher speed 120mm they well also still move more air = a classic sample were bigger is better. but Delta makes the best 80mm fans CFM wise, If your looking for the highest output 80mm a medium or high speed 3 blade Delta moves some serius air with less noise than the thin bodie 25mm of other brands. Those are 80mmX38mm not 25mm . make sure you get the right lengh screws to mount them! .http://www.subzeropcs.com/delta_fans.html
  8. Haretto

Haretto TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

These 80s right now snap into little green holders. Any one with an X-Alien that knows what i mean?

Do they have little hook holders for 120s?
  9. nein

nein Banned Posts: 226

That's even better, I myself used an extra single-pole-double-throw switch when I needed 4 times more the normal air volume flow for the same setup.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.