TechSpot

+12V problem, insufficient powerrr

By Genome852
May 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright. Ever since I got my new mobo, e6600, and 2gigs of DDR2, my graphics card has been giving me massive amounts of artifacts in EVERY single game I played. I am an ***** since I hadn't checked the voltages earlier.

Apparently, everest says it should have +12v, but I only have +1V !!!

This did not happen with my older computer. The molex connector that came with the video card is connected properly and all. I tried using one that is sticking out from the PSU, but unfortunately it doesn't work (theres 6 .. lines on the PSU one, instead of the 5-line molex that came with the video card).

Is there something I can do to correct this thing? I've reinstalled drivers, reformatted, reseated the video card, etc.

And no, my PSU isn't malfunctioning since all other voltages are normal.

Specs:

7900GT 256mb
    500W PSU
    2gb ddr667
    e6600
    160GB HDD
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

I've heard that the gigabyte mobo has some power issues... can't find a solution though.

Field Value
    Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
    GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures
    Aux 30 °C (86 °F)
    GPU 46 °C (115 °F)

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 2.27 V
    +2.5 V 2.64 V
    +3.3 V 3.20 V
    +5 V 4.76 V
    +12 V 3.20 V
    +5 V Standby 5.11 V
    Debug Info F FF FF FF
    Debug Info T 30 04 01
    Debug Info V 8E A5 C8 B1 32 08 42 (77)

Did some tests...

It's not the PSU. I plugged the vid card into another seperate PSU and it still showed +1v only.

It's not the power connector either.

What else could cause the problem, besides the video card itself, or the motherboard?

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Can you test the voltages using a multimeter? That would be much more accurate than any software reading.

Have you checked the 7900GT's operating temperature?

3. Genome852

Genome852 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

The temperatures are 43-48 idle (depending on the temperature of the day) and 63-70 load.

I don't have a multimeter, but the readings of the other voltages in everest are quite close to what they should be, so why would the 12 rail reading be so off?

Speedfan reports the +12v as +3v too, and the -12V as -16V...

And I just realized that the 12v is connected to the motherboard and not the video card >_>

Ah nevermind, turns out those applications weren't giving the right reading.

4. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

What do you mean? Is a power cable connected to the video card?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.