15 FPS in WoW, any advice?

By Yamian
Feb 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi , I play wow and am getting problems with my fps i really dont think i should be as low as 15 fps, do i need to change any settings at all? I have tryed over-clocking the computer, i have the most up to date drivers, i have tryed everything i can think of to no avail including running wow on low video settings. So any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have: intel core i7 960 @ 2.67 ghz
    6.00 GB RAM
    Windows 7 home premium
    Nvidia 9500GT

Im preety sure this is well over adequate for wow so please help.
  2. trimax

trimax Newcomer, in training

Maybe u can try in another game, if fps continue low, maybe ur video card is damaged or out of date driver
  3. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

4. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,648   +51

Check your temperature. In busy capital cities your fps will always be low. Like dalaran in wotlk.
  5. Yamian

Yamian Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok, so i tryed a different game. Dawn of war chaos rising, There is a video on the reccomended settings so i ran all that and it came up that i was around 52 fps and a minimum of 12.

My graphics in wow are mostly on low except view distance which i put on good, my fps does'nt really change regardless of where i am. i'll maybe get an extra 2 if im out in the middle of no where as oppose to in stormiwind, it did fluctuate the other day and hit around 30 though it stayed there for only a matter of seconds.
  6. vectorsigma32

vectorsigma32 Newcomer, in training Posts: 156

lol i use to have problem with wow try putting your draw distance down for me ti was after Cataclysm came out i when from run wow aright to basically not very good i went on to play around with the setting and it didn't rely get better so i finally quite wow after 5 years of playing
  7. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

You might want to check out this in depth review by Tom's Hardware for World of Warcraft. I would recommend checking over all your settings again and also and reduce view distance, if memory serves me right that was quite a taxing setting especially for on-board and low end discrete cards.
  8. gingerbill

gingerbill TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 166   +12

some of the shadow and special effects settings can be ery intensive compared to the rest of the game . Overall its a great engine that should be able to run great on most PC's with some tweaking.
  9. teklord

teklord TechSpot Maniac Posts: 523

WoW doesn't have the same graphic requirements as it did when it was released. Your GPU would have been fine in 2005 but now you will have to turn down the settings to get decent framerates. Plus, the servers are more packed than ever which is what brings FPS down the most for myself.

Turn down the settings and stay in dungeon groups where only 5 people are on the server for decent FPS. Get a better graphics card ASAP. Better yet, two of them like me.
  10. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

You might want to consider a more powerful video card.
  11. Steve S

Steve S Newcomer, in training Posts: 48

Like others have said, your graphics card is not adequate to run WoW above the framerate you have listed (I assume you are running at all low graphics settings)

12. PaulShawnP

PaulShawnP Newcomer, in training

For me, the solution was finally getting a better video card, a much better one.
  13. F86Sabre

F86Sabre Newcomer, in training

You should think about getting a new graphics card.
  14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,350   +821

The other children laugh at me when I tell them I have a 9500GT, They're actually being quite civil to you.

That being said, the 9500GT is mostly irrelevant in gaming today.

(I'm not a gamer, so they can laugh all they want. I got the 9500 for about 35 bucks on sale @ Newegg on a Black Friday).
  15. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,271   +257

Haha! CC still has that 9500GT ;)
  16. trifectangum

trifectangum Newcomer, in training

Prob need more RAM
  17. Shiney

Shiney TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 223

fps

Try a program called gamebooster also look up leatrix latency fix.
    They helped to improve my fps.
  18. g4mer

g4mer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 340

I have 9500GT with 19375 years old 1 core CPU and i play on medium settings with 20-50 fps (depends where i am). You should be getting much better results. 9500GT does suck at gaming. It's not even meant for it.
  19. NoTTaShoT

NoTTaShoT Newcomer, in training Posts: 54

drop your draw distance. Put your settings at mid-low. Should help a lot.
  20. Kieron0569

Kieron0569 Newcomer, in training

your ram is easily enough, and so is your graphics card, maybe its a internet issue? :| try port forwarding?
  21. T77

T77 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 315

LOL,even I have a 9500gt! but I think it's still good enough to play those "not so demanding" games.......NFS,dead space. For me it played crysis on high settings without any lag.

And yes, that combination of i7 and 9500gt is quite odd.You could upgrade to a gtx460 or higher
  22. Devyn

Devyn Newcomer, in training

Try to update your driver, should be under "Updates" in your startup menu, when I updated my driver my games sped up in FPS alot.
  23. den4ever

den4ever Newcomer, in training

Try setting the shadow quality to something lower, I know that shadows can cause a lot of fps loss.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.