1990s Amiga classic Zool returns this month

midian182

Staff member
In context: If, like this writer, you were lucky enough to own one of the several Commodore Amiga home computers released in the early 1990s, the name Zool might sound familiar. It was essentially the platform’s take on Sonic the Hedgehog. Now, the ninja gremlin (not an ant, apparently) from the Nth dimension is making a comeback.

Released in 1992 by Gremlin Graphics, which was behind retro classics HeroQuest and the Lotus series, Zool did little to hide the fact it was a Sonic clone. Viewed through my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, I vaguely recall it being a pretty good Amiga title at the time, though not a patch on Sega’s blue mascot. It was also very, very hard.

For those who missed out the first time around, Sumo Digital is bringing the original Zool back to life through Zool Redimensioned, which it says has been “rebuilt from the ground up for modern audiences” with guidance from the developers of the original at Gremlin Graphics.

“Zool’s old school platforming action will challenge the most hardcore gamers, with modern enhancements that bring the game into the 21st century,” states the game’s Steam page.

It’s noted that there’s a more accessible “Redimensioned” mode and an “Ultimate Ninja” hardcore challenge. You can also play the original Mega Drive (Sega Genisis in the US) version, which is a bit strange, seeing as it was produced for the Amiga before being ported to other platforms.

Also read: The Commodore Story: Gone But Not Forgotten

Some welcome additions to the new version include a level select screen and checkpoints. There are also new secrets, challenges, and over 25 achievements to unlock, and the music is a reworking of the original tunes.

As you might imagine, Zool Redimensioned will run on the most potato-like of PCs, requiring only integrated graphics and a 4th-gen Core i3 as minimum specs. It arrives on Steam sometime this month.

To learn more about the Amiga, check out The Commodore Story: Gone But Not Forgotten.

Permalink to story.

Still got my original copy for the Amiga, The chupa chups lolly that was in the box is long gone though :)

I played the heck out of this game on my Atari Jaguar.

I miss that console and those days....

The Amiga was awesome. Who can forget Andy Warhol using the early paint style apps to recreate a portrait of Debbie Harry on screen. They practised with him before a bit and explicitly told him to NOT use the color flood fill tool, because it was still buggy, often filled the screen then crashed the system.

Andy Warhol sits down in front of audience at huge Amiga launch. Browsing menu, first selection: Flood fill :joy: :joy: :joy:

Wow. Had this on Amiga. I think it was 3 or 4 floppy discs. Never completed it tho.

Giana Sisters and Superfrog was my go to platform games back then.

Ohhh, and James Pond :joy:

Wow. Had this on Amiga. I think it was 3 or 4 floppy discs. Never completed it tho.

Giana Sisters and Superfrog was my go to platform games back then.

Ohhh, and James Pond :joy:
Ok so you just gave me a flashback because my Son was 6 when he first played James Pond. He was just fumbling around with it, but had a total blast for a long time.

Ok so you just gave me a flashback because my Son was 6 when he first played James Pond. He was just fumbling around with it, but had a total blast for a long time.
It was the good old days.

Back when you loaned games from other people, having no clue what you got home with and then finding good games you never heard about before.

This almost never happends today, in any aspect of life. Everything is tracked and hyped up. I rarely see a movie, without hearing about it first, thats great. But it happends. On the other hand, all big movies are hyped so much, that you pretty much always gets disappointed when you are done watching it. You expected more.

Streaming is great and all, but young people today will know NOTHING about how it was back in the days, where you visited a store to RENT A MOVIE. This was actually fun and you often found gold. Now you browse an app on the device.

BE KIND, REWIND :joy: VHS DAYS..

I FEEL OLD looking back at this, but I am only 35..
Most young people I work with, never seen a VHS tape or floppy disc.

In 10-15 years, young people will not know what a dvd or bluray is probably..

5irwf6.jpg

Last edited:
:mad:

DISCLAIMER - Sonic 2 is the only platformer I played all the way through!
FOUL BEAST!!

(But yeah I get the reference)
Sonic 2 was/is awesome! I still play it from time to time with a Genesis Emulator. The musical score should've received an Oscar!

I was just making a play on words because the author made the comparison to Sonic. It's morning, I'm at work and my brain can't get out of neutral because there's very little to do (which is why I'm posting here).

Sonic 2 was/is awesome! I still play it from time to time with a Genesis Emulator. The musical score should've received an Oscar!

I was just making a play on words because the author made the comparison to Sonic. It's morning, I'm at work and my brain can't get out of neutral because there's very little to do (which is why I'm posting here).
I still can't believe I stuck to it long enough to beat a platformer, but I did forget that I also beat Bonks Adventure. So I beat 2 platformers in the past.

Back