1GB or 2GB graphics card?

Ryan Townsend

I'm going to buy the Radeon HD 7770 Graphics Card.

The 1gb version is perfect for me. But there is a 2gb version for about 30 - 40 quid more.
I want to stick to my budget, is it worth buying the 1 gb or paying a little more for the 2 gb.

Will I get better performance etc etc?

I'm running 1600x900 on a single monitor. If that information is of any help.

Many Thanks

1GB is probably enough, especially at your resolution. I don't think it's worth the 40 pounds extra, as when this card starts running slow you'd get a new one.

Hi powered, large ram video cards really benefit GAMERS with all the hardware supported polygon fills, .....

Normal users never need GB of video memory.

1GB is probably enough, especially at your resolution. I don't think it's worth the 40 pounds extra, as when this card starts running slow you'd get a new one.
Hi powered, large ram video cards really benefit GAMERS with all the hardware supported polygon fills, .....

Normal users never need GB of video memory.
Yes and yes, but it matters what games he is playing. Minecraft vs Battlefield 3 = 1GB vs 2GB.

My point is the O.P. didn't mention gaming in the original comment :)

He's a gamer, he's looking for more performance. Still, unless he's planning on a monitor upgrade, 1 GB is enough, 2 GB is wasted money.

He's a gamer, he's looking for more performance. Still, unless he's planning on a monitor upgrade, 1 GB is enough, 2 GB is wasted money.
Not just because of his resolution, but the card wont be able to play higher end settings (more AA = more VRAM used), and thus will not need more VRAM.

Apologies guys! I'am planning on buying some 'high performance' games, as I am a PC gamer. Sorry I didn't mention that! I have games like ARMA 2 and planning on getting ARMA 3 etc.. I will be getting COD and maybe BF3 if the 7770 is capable!

The 7770 will be fine at 1600x900. But Arma 3 may struggle a bit on it though. I say 2GB is better for Arma 3 and BF4, despite the lower resolution. I would say put a few more bucks in and get a 650ti boost edition. What is your price range exactly?

If you're looking to dip your toe into some mod-able games with high res texture packs and all the bells and whistles, I'd definitely tell you to go for the 2GB card.

Back