2 Diffrent AthlonXP 2100's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agissi

I ordered 2 AthlonXP 2100s off googlegear.com . One was retail, other OEM. The retail was green like the pictures I've seen from reviews on the net. The OEM is standard "brownish" like all other AMD CPUs. Both have "2100" written on the core, in the same places(also both have "AGOIA" written in the same places), but they have diffrent numbers/letters after the 2100/AGOIA. Whats the deal here?:(

Are the model numbers any different? I built a PC for a friend of mine awhile ago with an XP 2100+, and it was green. And my current XP 2100+ is brown. The previous XP 1900+ that I owned was green as well, and when I built the 2nd PC in my household, the XP 1700+, it is green as well.

Ah yes I think one's a TBred and the other is a Palomino. This would be the most logical answer. Different architectures.

Palomino's are good, TBred-A's run really hot, and TBred-B's are the best. I'd bet the TBred one is a -A.

Originally posted by Vehementi
I built a PC for a friend of mine awhile ago with an XP 2100+, and it was green. And my current XP 2100+ is brown. The previous XP 1900+ that I owned was green as well, and when I built the 2nd PC in my household, the XP 1700+, it is green as well.

That's strange....My first XP2000+ which i brought back in Singapore is brown( and the other one a replacementi damaged the core) which the current one in Australia is also brown. Both retail versions of 2000XP. IMHO, perhaps the green one is from the earlier line of production..brown is the newer one..well thats my opinion.

Well the Athlon XP's PCB is organic, so do you think they may have made one with wood and another with grass?

Originally posted by palmboy5
whats PCB?

PCB is an acronym for a couple of things, but in this instance it means "Printed Circuit Board".

Brown means older and the green CPUs are the most newly fabricated. AMD was using a ceramic type material for old Athlons and switched because organic supposedly is better at dissipating heat, cheaper and lighter.

What goes inside "organic packaging" is a mystery to me. Organics and electronics don't sound like a likely combination. ;)

ive just got an xp2100 retail form ebuyer and that is brown, the fan is green thou

Steg

another way to tell the diff. is by the shape of the core itself. the palomino is a square and the t-bred's are more of a rectangle. just a nifty little tidbit

Originally posted by Rick

What goes inside "organic packaging" is a mystery to me. Organics and electronics don't sound like a likely combination. ;)

Could be chicken feathers....J/K :cool:

Actually that just reminded me of an article I read once about using chicken feathers to construct ICs. Surprisingly there were several advantages to this, though I seem to remember several disadvantages as well. Anyway it really has nothing to do with this.

Back to the topic at hand. Organic simply means "carbon based" so there are many possibilities as to what actually goes into it.

AMD has extended the Tbred line all the way back to the 1700 XP now. newegg has the 1700 Tbred for 46.99 I am thinking of picking one up just to try out and see how the 1700 Tbred does compared to the 1800 palomino I have in one of my AMD rigs.

Pretty sure I got a TBredA. Doesnt really matter much though, because I wont be overclocking :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back